Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

My Quadcopter wont lift off!

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

My Quadcopter wont lift off!

Old 03-28-2017, 04:38 AM
  #1  
izzeddin
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation My Quadcopter wont lift off!

Specifications:
  • Turnigy D2836/8 1100KV Brushless Outrunner Motor
  • HobbyKing™ Propeller 10x6 Black (CW/CCW) (6pcs)
  • Hobby King 2.4Ghz 4Ch Tx & Rx V2 (Mode 2)
  • Aerostar 30A Electronic Speed Controller With 2A BEC (2~4S)
  • 3.5mm Male/Female Bullet Brushless 16awg Motor Extension Lead 200mm (because the ESC couldn't reach the motor)
  • Hobby King Quadcopter Power Distribution Board
  • Hobbyking KK2.1.5 Multi-Rotor LCD Flight Control Board With 6050MPU And Atmel 644PA
  • MultiStar High Capacity 3S 5200mAh Multi-Rotor Lipo Pack
  • Turnigy P606 LiPoly/LiFe AC/DC Charger (EU Plug)
  • 10CM Male To Male Servo Lead (JR) 26AWG (10pcs/Set)
  • HobbyKing X666 Glass Fiber Quadcopter Frame 666mm
Problem:
My drone simply wont lift off. I have followed the instructions on the flight control board so the props spin in the right direction, I have made sure that the drone is balanced and correctly calibrated. However, it just wont lift off. I am lost and need help
Old 03-28-2017, 05:08 AM
  #2  
foodstick
 
foodstick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ankeny, IA
Posts: 5,561
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

I don't have drones.. but could your props be upside down?
Old 03-28-2017, 01:05 PM
  #3  
izzeddin
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by foodstick View Post
I don't have drones.. but could your props be upside down?
No i made sure my Clockwise props are placed on the motors turning clockwise and my counter-clockwise props are placed on the motors turning counter-clockwise. I tested and all of them are pushing air downwards. It just wont lift.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:49 AM
  #4  
Rodney
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: FL
Posts: 7,769
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by izzeddin View Post
No i made sure my Clockwise props are placed on the motors turning clockwise and my counter-clockwise props are placed on the motors turning counter-clockwise. I tested and all of them are pushing air downwards. It just wont lift.
If the props are on backwards, you will still get the air pushing downwards, just not at an efficient rate. Do check and make sure the props are not on backward as that does sound like your problem.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:01 AM
  #5  
izzeddin
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
If the props are on backwards, you will still get the air pushing downwards, just not at an efficient rate. Do check and make sure the props are not on backward as that does sound like your problem.
I did check whether they were backwards, which was the case for one side. but now it just lifts for a second and flips and my propellers break. It starts to vibrate on each landing gear and it just back-flips and breaks my props.
Here is what my drone looks like maybe the setup is the issue,

Just note that i removed the battery for now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2727.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	2207516   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2728.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	2207517   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2729.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	2207518   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2730.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	2207519  
Old 03-30-2017, 07:24 AM
  #6  
Rodney
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: FL
Posts: 7,769
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

You may still have two of the props mounted backwards.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:13 AM
  #7  
izzeddin
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
You may still have two of the props mounted backwards.
I checked that again actually, but there is this writing usually that represents the top. I made sure that all those writings are facing front rather than backwards.
Could it be possibly that it is a specific piece i am using?
Old 03-30-2017, 06:30 PM
  #8  
jester_s1
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 7,245
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default

Your props look fine in the pictures, but for future reference you don't go by the writing to see if they are on straight. You make sure the convex side is facing up or in the direction you want the prop to pull. The concave side is what pushes the air.

If you are flipping i'd suspect a motor is spinning the wrong way. Failing that, something may be screwy with the settings on your flight controller. I'd suspect a gain is reversed which would lead to a very fast flip as soon as you spin up. You can check your gain directions by holding quad in your hands and having someone advance the throttle for you. If the quad resists your effort to turn it, then settings are in the right direction. If you find it trying to turn on its own or helping you turn it, they are reversed.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:09 AM
  #9  
izzeddin
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jester_s1 View Post
Your props look fine in the pictures, but for future reference you don't go by the writing to see if they are on straight. You make sure the convex side is facing up or in the direction you want the prop to pull. The concave side is what pushes the air.

If you are flipping i'd suspect a motor is spinning the wrong way. Failing that, something may be screwy with the settings on your flight controller. I'd suspect a gain is reversed which would lead to a very fast flip as soon as you spin up. You can check your gain directions by holding quad in your hands and having someone advance the throttle for you. If the quad resists your effort to turn it, then settings are in the right direction. If you find it trying to turn on its own or helping you turn it, they are reversed.
Yeah thanks for that tip, and yeah you were right the motor was spinning in the wrong direction. However, now i have another problem. Whenever i fly the drone it is really shaky and very unstable and i then land it instantly so that it wouldn't crash. is there a way to make it self-level. The option exists on my FCU but i don't know how to turn it on.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:54 PM
  #10  
jester_s1
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 7,245
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default

That would be a question for your flight controller manual. I haven't used a KK board before, but have some experience with APM 2.7. There may be an option for a preset acro mode versus stability mode, in which case you'll want the stability mode. Or you may have to input an initial setting manually. If that's the case, it should be simple enough to check some of the quad forums and find someone's setup for a similar quad and copy it as your starting point. I know when setting one up from scratch, the normal method is to turn off the I and D gains and see how high you can turn up P before it oscillates. The turn up D until it oscillates then back it off until it stops, then increase P again until you find the threshold. Then fly a bit and turn up the I gain until the quad doesn't drift anymore. But there is also a method starting with the D gain where you suspend the quad from bungees and check for oscillations that way.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:40 AM
  #11  
izzeddin
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jester_s1 View Post
That would be a question for your flight controller manual. I haven't used a KK board before, but have some experience with APM 2.7. There may be an option for a preset acro mode versus stability mode, in which case you'll want the stability mode. Or you may have to input an initial setting manually. If that's the case, it should be simple enough to check some of the quad forums and find someone's setup for a similar quad and copy it as your starting point. I know when setting one up from scratch, the normal method is to turn off the I and D gains and see how high you can turn up P before it oscillates. The turn up D until it oscillates then back it off until it stops, then increase P again until you find the threshold. Then fly a bit and turn up the I gain until the quad doesn't drift anymore. But there is also a method starting with the D gain where you suspend the quad from bungees and check for oscillations that way.
Thank you for the method, however, i am a beginner after all, and i do not understand the terminology used there. What are I and D gains? What is a P gain? Ive tried looking them up however, ive only gotten an explanation of the Roll positive and negative, and pitch positive and negative.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:41 PM
  #12  
jester_s1
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 7,245
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default

Here is a pretty good article on PID theory and practical application for quads.

http://myfirstdrone.com/tutorials/ho...-a-quadcopter/

Your flight controller may not even give you access to PID's though. Start with reading the manual before anything else. Your best settings will depend on a lot of factors, the biggest of which is the response time of the ESC's you have and the overall balance of your quad. The good news though is that a quad doesn't have to be perfectly optimized to get out and have fun flying. If it wiggles a little on certain maneuvers who cares? You can improve it as you go forward and learn more about it.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.