Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

I haven't quite figured things out

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

I haven't quite figured things out

Old 04-10-2017, 01:57 PM
latebloomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I haven't quite figured things out

Hello everyone.

I emailed a local club this past weekend about the o.s. .40LA engine I have, & would like it to be put to good use rather than just be a paperweight. I haven't been in the r/c hobby for over ten years, but now I'm thinking about getting back into the hobby. The biggest problem I have is not owning a car to carry everything to the field each weekend. I used to drive cars & helis in Calgary. I was a better driver than a pilot. I don't know if I want to make flying aircraft something on my bucket list, or to put my blood, sweat & tears into the hobby again. I have an airtronics rd-6000, but I'm guessing it would be recommended I upgrade to something newer. I still have my real flight simulator, tools, wheels, epoxy, glo starter, covering material. It was suggested to me when I lived in Calgary making visits to Modelland, that I start with the Sig LT-40 trainer. I need to find my maac membership number again for starters. I pretty much have everything I need to build a plane with the exception of ca glue, or some of my r/c stuff is at my brother's place here in Edmonton or at my sister's in Calgary. My brother has a family & my nieces are involved in ringette, but he & his wife are teachers so being busy is an understatement to them. I could do the park flyer routine as there is a school close to where I live, but I'll have to check out the maac website for more information. I haven't considered flying a drone as that's a different ball of wax. I haven't talked to my brother about this yet even though my family & people I live with want me to get involved in something & I have looked at other hobbies, I haven't decided on the right hobby yet.

Thanks
Old 04-10-2017, 08:11 PM
NEW222

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems like you have a lot on your mind here. I do agree it is changed quite a bit in the last 10 years. Electric is most definitely the quick, easy, and clean way to go now-a-day. Drones don't do anything for me either. As for your tools remaining.... It is all still good and legal to use, although if you need a new transmitter battery, well yes, you could get a cheap 2.4 radio for the same price. I now live by my gut feelings and that is if I am not into it, it was just not meant to be.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:48 AM
latebloomer

Thanks.
I hadn't thought much about electric until late last night. I'm aware of electric aircraft & nitro to electric conversions, I'll just hope to find an outlet at the field for everything to go as planned
Old 04-19-2017, 03:58 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

To me there is nothing more enjoyable than flying a model aircraft. OK, I like my motorcycle also. But for me, I've always loved flying model airplanes, free flight, controline, and rc. The equipment you describe is all sound. New batteries for the Tx and Rx, and you're good. The 40 LA is a fine engine for sport flying. A Sig LT 40 is good idea if you feel like building. There's lots of sport arf's that engine could work fine with also. Being a "LA", all it might need is a degumming, but it will run just fine once clean. How you're going to get to the field is a problem. Any friends with car that like to just get outside? An electric and going to the local park is an easy answer, and can be a lot of fun. I've done flights over an hour thermal hunting in our local park with a standard Radian. BUT. You have to decide what thrills you. Don't do something just for the sake of doing something. Do something you really want to do
Old 04-19-2017, 05:33 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember a young man who made it to the flying field each week on a bicycle. He had built a 363 delta with some home brew retracts. He had a couple of simple brackets to carry the delta nose down along side the back wheel and the rest of his kit like the tranny and glowstick was in his back pack.

Here is the plan 363 plan - Free download - Outerzone

It will fly on a LA 40 just keep it light.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:34 AM
latebloomer

I've been thinking about cycling again for the exercise & if I get back into the hobby, using my bike to get to and from the flying field. I know there are trailers available to attach to bikes, but I just looked at the price of them and gasped $500. I was thinking this morning of buying a used car, as I think I've had it with taking the bus for a hour or so to get from point A to point B. I had a rough day yesterday almost ready to quote Clark Griswold. I need to work everything out with hobbies & if I really want to own another car.