Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Brand new nitro engine wont turn on

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Brand new nitro engine wont turn on

Old 05-23-2017, 01:18 PM
xXsnipedoggyXx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Brand new nitro engine wont turn on

Hi there, I recently bought a new nitro engine for my plane, (the other one is old and I was told to take it apart and dip it in nitro fluid) i ordered a glow plug warmer for it as well it works off AA batterie, I tried cranking it with my starter motor and nothing. I tested the glow plug and it glows red, not sure if fuel is getting to the engine. the engine is also hard to turn by hand. I got the engine for 60 bucks at the hobby store but i don't think the hobby store would screw me over with a bad engine.

Thanks, Jacob
Old 05-23-2017, 03:55 PM
Tom Nied

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you read the manual that came with the engine? It should have come with a manual. If not, find one on the internet for your particular engine. What is it? The fact that you are not sure fuel is getting to the engine, I would agree. Also, I would add, a brand new engine is a little bit harder than a broken in engine. You got to pull fuel to the engine. Finger over the venturi, turn the prop until fuel comes up to the carburetor. I've seen some guys put their finger over the exhaust outlet pipe of the muffler while spinning the prop. Do you have the high speed needle open about 2.5 turns? When they're new, they're tight at the top. If you got a good glow (yellow is better than red), fuel, and good compression, it should start. I agree, the hobby shop doesn't want to screw you with a bad engine, they want you to come back and spend more $.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:34 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

This is where belonging to a club is invaluable.

Is the plug glowing bright red dull red won.t do.

Try dribbling a few drops of fuel into the carb. Turn it over by hand a few times without the plug being energised to make sure it is not locked then try.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:28 PM
xXsnipedoggyXx

i checked the glow plug and the glow is red like you take a paper clip and heat it up with a lighter .________.
is that bad? i did buy a 5 dollar glow plug warmer from amazon and people said the shipping was great but i didnt see anything else on the reviews. i also read a little booklet that came with the engine and it told me how to set the "high speed valve" but it also said the "low speed valve is factory set and shoulnt be changed until first start up and im pretty sure that adjustment is gone
Old 05-23-2017, 05:35 PM
Tom Nied

Yeah, I think it should be hotter, (orange and even yellow is best). Are your batteries any good? And you got to make sure you're getting fuel to the carburetor. Again, a new engine will be stubborn with it feeling tight at top dead center. You really have to pop it past that point. But make sure you're getting fuel to the carburetor. The idle (low speed needle) you should keep at its factory setting until you get it going.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:39 PM
Tom Nied

Would you know what I mean if I asked you, "are you getting a "bump""? With the glow igniter on and with a gloved hand, turn the prop thru top dead center holding it securely. Do you feel a "bump". If so, you should be pretty close to starting.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:52 PM
xXsnipedoggyXx

I think i know what you talking about i try spinning with my hand and it sorta bumps its pretty hard to explain but i think so i guess,.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:57 PM
Tom Nied

No, grab the prop so that it wont get away from you, and turn it through top dead center. Do you feel a "bump". Not "it sorta bumps". You should feel a "bump" while holding the prop securely while turning it.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:00 PM
xXsnipedoggyXx

yes I do feel a bump when the glow plug ignitor is on
Old 05-23-2017, 06:03 PM
Tom Nied

Ok, that's good. It should start with a few good flips. You are turning it counter clockwise while facing the engine, right?
Old 05-23-2017, 06:13 PM
Tom Nied

I still think your igniter should be making the glow plug glow yellow. Red is just not enough.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:17 PM
Tom Nied

When I'm at the end of the season and I'm checking my glow plug and it's only red as well having trouble getting the engine started, I know things are wrong and go to my alternate glow starter.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:32 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

What make and model engine is it?

What make and model engine is it ?

A glow starter that uses AA batteries will not power a glow plug for very long or get it very hot for very long. Even the ones that use a C -cell only give a few "starts" before the battery is drained.
Buy a real glow starter with a rechargeable sub-C battery.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:22 PM
Tom Nied

What engine is it, what prop do you have on it, what fuel are you using? And yes, have to agree with flyinwalenda.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:29 AM
xXsnipedoggyXx

well, then I think I've been turning my motor the wrong way I've been turning the prop clockwise while facing the front of the engine .___. I hope I didn't ruin anything by doing that, the next time I go to my local hobby shop I will pick up a good rechargeable glow ignitor. Il post the make and model of engine soon
Old 05-24-2017, 03:37 AM
flyinwalenda

Is this engine mounted on a plane or on a test stand?

Is the prop mounted correctly?

If it's on a plane, are the servos working correctly and is the plane restrained?

You should have someone with experience look over your set-up . The last thing you want is to have the engine start, go full throttle, and fly into yourself or someone else.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:41 AM
xXsnipedoggyXx

the plane is mounted everything works and it is restrained
Old 05-24-2017, 05:00 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't run this in a garage If that is what you are doing. If you really want specific help over a forum like this many are indeed pleased to help but this guessing game is going to get you nowhere. First and formost what brand engine and what model????

John
Old 05-24-2017, 08:26 AM
mgnostic

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by xXsnipedoggyXx View Post
well, then I think I've been turning my motor the wrong way I've been turning the prop clockwise while facing the front of the engine .___. I hope I didn't ruin anything by doing that, the next time I go to my local hobby shop I will pick up a good rechargeable glow ignitor. Il post the make and model of engine soon
You didn't hurt it by flipping the wrong way. Getting that first start when you are a new modeler can be pretty frustrating. Getting a quality glow igniter is a good plan. Glow plugs don't like a lot of voltage -1.5 volts is average- but they draw a lot of current for their size. When you go to the hobby shop buy an extra glow plug or two as the break in process will sometimes use up a glow plug.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:01 PM
SteveM

Last edited by SteveM; 08-16-2017 at 04:02 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:52 PM
flyinwalenda

OK, one last time and then I'm done here.

What is the make and model of the engine ?
Old 05-25-2017, 01:24 PM
xXsnipedoggyXx

I cant find the engine model but i do know the brand its a ASP engine...

and for the glow plu would something like this work RC Racing Rechargeable Glow Plug Igniter Fr HSP Nitro Car Plane 80101W Charger | eBay
Old 05-25-2017, 02:58 PM
SteveM

Last edited by SteveM; 08-16-2017 at 04:00 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:07 PM
Tom Nied

I tend to prefer the ones with a meter. It does two things. While on the glow plug it will tell you that the plug is good (not burned out) and also a read on how healthy the battery is. A replaceable sub C battery is good. When it dies, you can just replace the battery.

On the opposite side of the crankcase of the ASP engine should be a number. That would give us an idea of the size/model.

Last edited by Tom Nied; 05-25-2017 at 03:13 PM. Reason: added content
Old 05-25-2017, 03:38 PM
flyinwalenda

Originally Posted by xXsnipedoggyXx View Post
I cant find the engine model but i do know the brand its a ASP engine...
You stated this is a new engine. Where is the box and paperwork it came with ? The model will be on the box and manual.

Otherwise there will be a number stamped on the side of the engine just below the muffler.

Is there any blue part on the engine or is it all gray /silver?

For $60.00 I'm guessing it's a lower quality ASP 40. Those cheaper ASP engines sometimes have troublesome carburetors.

Last edited by flyinwalenda; 05-25-2017 at 03:40 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.