Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Foam Electric sailplane for retiree.

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Foam Electric sailplane for retiree.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:28 PM
Dale Fiorillo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foam Electric sailplane for retiree.

I stopped flying rc when Orbit gear came out. Only a coincidence! Now I have just moved to a home with lots of clear
acreage, and lots of constant wind. I think what I want is a big slow stable electric sailplane. No acrobatics, but would like to learn to land it well. Foam, only cause I don't want to build anymore. Killing lift for landing looks more important
than thrust for lift. As for landing, the terrain is mostly unmowed tall grass, weeds, and some dirt patches. No poles
or wires, and the trees are far away. You can see why I want to fly again, but with the least possible expense.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:53 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

HobbyKing offers a variety of foam gliders with motors in protected positions. They do advertise stuff that is out of stock but presumably stuff does arrive.

Something like this would fit the bill https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykin...600mm-pnf.html
Old 06-30-2017, 09:27 AM
loopdeeloop
My Feedback: (4)

Can't beat Hobby Kings Phoenix 2000 (2 METER) and it won't break the bank. Model even has flaps.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:30 AM
jester_s1

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Get a Radian. It's cheap, has a prop to get it up to altitude, and can take a bump. That's assuming, of course, that a glider is really the best choice for you.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:20 PM
Dale Fiorillo

Thank you, one of these will be perfect, leaving money for the rx and tx. I'm reading up on the new technology,
things have sure changed. Flaperons look useful. So many tx/rx combos, l don't want junk, and maybe
4 or 5 channels. My last plane was a full-house Orion, but I never tried flaperons. Apparently there are
a number of ways to achieve their function.
Dale
Old 07-03-2017, 05:32 AM
jester_s1

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Flapperons can be helpful or can cause crashes depending on the plane. The upside is slowing for landing. The downside is increasing wing incidence at the tips which is exactly where you don't want to do that unless you are a fan of unexpected snaps 4 feet off the ground. IMO, the various 4 channel foam gliders fly and land perfectly well without them, albeit with long approaches.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:57 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Get a basic 3 channel foamie electric glider first. Something around 2 metres. When you feel comfortable with that and want to play around with flaperons get a discus launch glider one that is set up to fly with flaperons. something like this.

You can play around with the flaperons to get maximum altitude on the launch, best glide for duration or speed.

These are a lot of fun and you will learn a lot from playing with them. If you don't want to do the discus launch a mini bungee will get them up to 200 feet or so which gives you time to look for thermals.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:28 PM
Dale Fiorillo

I found the big Phoenix, with everything but batteries for $150. It has a flight stabilizer, is that useful?
Dale