Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

new build phaeton II electric

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

new build phaeton II electric

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 05:53 AM
OKKA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new build phaeton II electric

Hi from down under.
just throwing it out there
First bi plane build
Building a phaeton II which was designed for a .40 gas motor & have decided to go electric
this is a first time for me and was wondering if any one called throw any info my way in regards to the build and flying.
I have seen a build on you tube where the bottom of the fuselage has had vent holes in it for the flow through of air for cooling the esc but was thinking that todays esc's run at a lower temp so is it needed?
Have also struck a query in the build plans were the engine when it was gas was positioned exactly in the centre & not offset as per usual. Is this the norm for a bi plane?
Have purchased a electric >46/.60 gas equivalent thinking a little more power than less would be better.
Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by OKKA; 07-08-2017 at 06:24 AM.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:29 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The Phaeton II is a very nice flying plane. I owned an original Phaeton that was lost due to a radio issue, and am currently refurbishing my Phaeton II that I bought used and only have a couple of flights on. I think you are spot on for going with the higher powered motor option. The plane will have no problem carrying the extra weight and you'll enjoy being able to pull unlimited verticals.

Yes, I would suggest making provisions for some airflow over your ESC and maybe your battery too. It won't need much.

You will probably wind up with some right thrust in your final setup, especially if you are going electric with the bigger props electrics tend to run. I'd also check for ground clearance if your motor calls for a 13 inch prop. So going ahead and offsetting the motor a bit would be a smart move. Of course, if you aren't going to put a cowl on it doesn't matter.