Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Plastic Female Mold Making for Fuselage -- Advice Needed

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Plastic Female Mold Making for Fuselage -- Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 11:22 AM
AYKorn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Plastic Female Mold Making for Fuselage -- Advice Needed

Hey RC fans,

I'm brand new to the RC world, so any help is appreciated.

I'm trying to make a carbon fiber fuselage using the wet lay-up method (not pre-peg). I've made a silicone female mold but after multiple trials inside the vacuum bag, the mold has shrunk considerably. So, I ordered some SmoothCast 385, which is a hard and brittle liquid plastic. I can't seem to find any info on how to make a female mold out of the 385. For my previous silicone female mold, I 3D printed my fuselage, embedded half of it in clay, poured MoldMax 40 over it, let it cure, poured mixture over the cured side, etc. etc. I want to know if this is the same procedure that I can use for the plastic, or if there are any unforeseen complications.

Also, if there are any tips on how to effectively put together the two molds during lay-up without crinkles or terrible seams between the carbon fiber cloths, I would love to know them.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:33 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a forum dedicated to this sort of stuff. I would read through some of the threads there.

Composites Fabrication And Repair - RCU Forums
Old 07-28-2017, 05:57 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

New to RC planes, yet wanting to make a composite fuselage using what sounds like your own design? What are you trying to accomplish exactly?

The classic method is to make a wood plug, coat it with PVA, then apply several layers of glass to it. 2 oz goes on first, then 2 layers of 6 oz. That will give you a stiff female mold with a good finish inside to work with.