Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Total noob sport cub S

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Total noob sport cub S

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 07:52 AM
CFinn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Total noob sport cub S

Hi all,

just took my sport cub S out for the first time this morning, what a rush flying a model airplane. Thank god it has safe mode for beginners. Flew it in a steady 5 mph wind, I understand why you can’t fly it in more wind then that for sure. Thing is so light and at full throttle into the wind it just kept climbing up and up and almost hovered. Turning out of the wind it would just rocket towards me. Very happy I didn’t crash it on first time out (rough landings but no face plants).

bought 250 mah battery for it and am only disappointed in the flight time pretty sure it was only about 5 min. Do the LiPo batteries get better after a few cycles or is this the best they are gonna be after first charge?

also, to fly level in the wind had to keep the elevators all the way forward, trim didn’t seem to do anything to improve this, thoughts?

thanks for any advice
Old 03-21-2018, 08:08 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

5 to 7 minutes for an electric is fairly normal
Old 03-21-2018, 08:37 AM
CFinn

Yea, I was hoping to be on the long end of the flying time range with the the 250 mah instead of the stock 150 mah it came with.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:16 AM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, it`s a cool little plane. Check out the Venom 1S quad chargers. I think I saw one advertised here with 4 batteries included.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:28 AM
CFinn

Looking at the venom duo pro charger since it looks to charge a wide assortment of batteries and has storage charge options.

What kind of connectors are thes 1s 3.7 volt LiPo ?
Old 03-21-2018, 11:05 AM
MaxSouthoz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CFinn
Hi all,

just took my sport cub S out for the first time this morning, what a rush flying a model airplane. Thank god it has safe mode for beginners. Flew it in a steady 5 mph wind, I understand why you can’t fly it in more wind then that for sure. Thing is so light and at full throttle into the wind it just kept climbing up and up and almost hovered. Turning out of the wind it would just rocket towards me. Very happy I didn’t crash it on first time out (rough landings but no face plants).

bought 250 mah battery for it and am only disappointed in the flight time pretty sure it was only about 5 min. Do the LiPo batteries get better after a few cycles or is this the best they are gonna be after first charge?

also, to fly level in the wind had to keep the elevators all the way forward, trim didn’t seem to do anything to improve this, thoughts?

thanks for any advice
My Apprentice (SAFE), is the same. You need judicious use of the throttle. (Which helps with battery time). Also I put 30 grams in the nose, which helped, but they are foamies; so very light.

250 mAh seems very small. Do you mean 2250 mAh? The Apprentice will easily do 8 minutes on 2250 and 10 minutes on 3200 mAh.

Cheers
Max
Old 03-22-2018, 10:30 AM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ultra Micro JST connector. Depending on how much flying you want to do with your UMX plane, the charger that came with the plane might do since you have 2 batteries (One on charge while your flying) Now that you`ve probably got the bug, though, I`m guessing your`re already thinking bigger and better. Of course that means bigger batteries and chargers. Since I`m a mostly glow plane guy, I`ve only gotten up to a 3S 1500mA for bigger foam electric Cub.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:30 PM
CFinn

Thanks for the reply’s all
Old 04-07-2018, 05:07 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When learning and it is windy, don't turn down wind at all. Yes, it will "rocket back" toward you and probably get behind you, and now you've got to get back upwind dealing with control reversal. Instead, do what the slope soarers do...turn always into the wind; when you fly across the wind, 90 degrees to it, the wind will carry the plane back toward you, but gently. Then you turn into the wind again. Learn that, and then you can turn off safe mode and not be dependent on it. That's how I taught myself to fly long before safe mode was available. As Wilbur Wright said, "unfortunately, the wind usually blows."

It sounds like you need to adjust the elevator at the clevis. You shouldn't have so much trouble keeping it from climbing. It is typical that any plane will climb with full power. If you set it to fly level at full power it will plummet when you reduce power. But set to fly level at low power, it will climb when you add power. So you need to find a middle ground that feels comfortable. The way I trim, I need to hold a little up elevator when I chop the throttle and come down.

Good luck have fun! Teaching myself to fly was more fun than anything else I've done in the hobby!

Jim
Old 06-13-2018, 06:13 PM
CFinn

Thanks Jim. Good post.