Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

No cost RC flying

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

No cost RC flying

Old 11-03-2018, 04:22 PM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No cost RC flying

See the attachment. Either that way or take my tx and fly.

So many wonder why the hobby is in decline. What if there was a much better, faster and more fun way to learn how to fly RC airplanes?
At least a way to give RC flying a try without having to jump through all the hoops
What I do is convince anyone to come to the field and take my tx and have fun flying. They all get a minimum of 20 minutes of stick time, just to see if they like it.
No one has to spend a dime and if they say they can't afford getting into the hobby, at least they will have the skill to fly when and if they ever can afford it.
I could teach others how to do this. Imagine if 2500 AMA clubs had even just one person who could do this?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Wings Guide.pdf (1.32 MB, 93 views)

Last edited by fliers1; 11-03-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:50 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a good idea. Our club has done something similar, I imagine most clubs have. For years I offered visitors a free 'trial' flight if they seemed particularly interested. However, our club leadership started worrying about someone getting injured and the club being sued, so the practice kind of died off.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:46 AM
fliers1

Originally Posted by ho2zoo
It's a good idea. Our club has done something similar, I imagine most clubs have. For years I offered visitors a free 'trial' flight if they seemed particularly interested. However, our club leadership started worrying about someone getting injured and the club being sued, so the practice kind of died off.
I've been doing this for over 40 years and have never had an accident. BTW, AMA covers giving the public RC flight experience. AMA even covers instructors being compensated. What I do is not wait to see if someone is interested. I strongly insist that any spectator take the tx for a few minute introductory flight.
If there are spectators, chances are they are interested just because they are there. It was so easy to get many people into the hobby by doing it this way. My only problem was some club members didn't like that the fact that I might get what they deem as "too many, too fast' on "their" flight line. Some members didn't like flying with more than 2 planes in the air at the same time.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:56 AM
r ward

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

most clubs have a trainer or two and an open invitation for anyone to come and try it out. I have never seen , nor heard of a club that doesn't operate this way. and every club, of any genre I was ever in (biking, archery, R/c, control line, speed skating, wood working, hunting, trap shooting), had the same policy. what is needed is for the clubs to make that invitation clearly, publicly and universally known.
I live in a small town of about 10,000 people. there is an R/C club in the town,.... it will amaze you how many people have no idea it exists.......most think, "it's some guy flying one of them model planes out there". the only exposure I see is at the local airport for "airport days" once a year. the problem is that the same people are the only people that come to "airport days" every year and the flying is done on one club member's own property, so there is also an element on intimidation, if someone wants to come watch. it has to be publically announced,....frequently,... that is OK for people to come to the airfield, on this guys land and see the flying.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:38 AM
fliers1

I hear this all the time that most clubs have trainers and an open invitation. I ran a flight training school several years ago and had hundreds of beginners from hundreds of different clubs coming from all over the US and Canada. Also had a hobby shop with beginners saying the same.
Nearly all of these people told me that their club either didn't have club trainers or had club trainers but seldom if ever used them. That is why they came to me from hundreds of miles away to pay me to teach them.

Dave Scott, owner of the 1st US RC Flight School made so much money that he is the owner of a full scale Pitts biplane.
I went to one club up in Canada that had a club trainer. I looked it over and discovered that although it was in very good shape, it looked as if it was never used. Also, it was badly out of trim and throws were set to the extreme.
Many other clubs that I visited at one time had club trainers but they didn't know where to keep it, and no one really wanted to take a chance on breaking it, so they gave up on using it.

Last edited by fliers1; 11-04-2018 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:37 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

All the clubs around me have at least one trainer available for walk up students. It does get them a new member sometimes, but they mostly get used by kids whose parents just want something free for them to do. Even that's a seed though.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:54 PM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish my club had a clubhouse. I have a couple high wing models and basic radios I`d like to donate and keep on-site for newcomers.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:28 AM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

One of my local clubs has a very active instructor program (which I am one) - each instructor (currently there are 5) is given a club trainer, and during the summer meets at the field once per week. Instructor is in charge of keeping/storing/repair/etc. of the plane. Usually 3 are able to make it on any given night, with 3-6 beginners to train. They come from pretty far away for weekly instruction. Unfortunately, there is a VERY high rate of disappearance after they learn to land. It's a good year if 2 actually fully join the club going forward. First ever flight is offered to anyone that is there, even if initially "just to watch". Continued instruction is through the the AMA beginner program - student gets the "temp" AMA membership, but no obligation to join the club while on a buddy box.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:45 PM
prizebull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to an rc show this year and the guys there were very generous with their planes. Convinced me to join