Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

I bought $160 worth of used RC stuff today :)

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

I bought $160 worth of used RC stuff today :)

Old 12-14-2018, 04:39 PM
johnnymax

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I bought $160 worth of used RC stuff today :)

I looked in a local online classified listing yesterday. And searched for "RC Plane" even though nothing EVER shows up RC wise. I was excited when I saw these planes listed/ I offered $160 which was about 1/3 of what they were asking. That was all I could justify with all my Christmas spending. He took my offer and even through in a nice $70 lipo battery charger, much nicer than anything I ever would have bought.
I really wanted the Apprentice airplane since I am a green flyer again. I have not flown (other that simulators) since 1981. I am gearing up for this Spring. I will join the local RC Club and the AMA (I need it for the liability insurance knowing my luck.)
Anyway, here are the planes I got. I am so excited I just had to post and share?

The above Apprentice is RTF

This above Corsair is RTF with only a few scuffs.

This above Spitfire has me the most excited. I hope I can one day be good enough to fly it without destroying it! It needs all electronics and an engine. I don't want to make this one electric. I will have to pull out of retirement so I can afford nitro, LOL
Anyway, Merry Christmas to me!
Old 12-14-2018, 05:10 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Congratulations on a great find ! The Spitfire looks like it should fly great , it looks like it has RC plane dimensions rather than true "Scale" dimensions . When an RC model of the Spitfire is built with the exact dimensions of the full scale plane , the fuselage ends up too long and the tail surfaces end up too small , making the plane "a handful" to fly . My Hyperion Spitfire was exactly as I describe , and a real handful to fly . Yours looks like it will be much more forgiving since the tail is big enough and the fuselage isn't too long .

PS , the kid is cute as a button
Old 12-15-2018, 03:52 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see a Corsair and a P-40, but I don't see a Spitfire. Good haul though!
Old 12-15-2018, 05:39 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Yep, definitely not a Spitfire. It should be a good flyer though.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:51 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I have to agree, the planes are, in order of picture:
1) foam Apprentice
2) F4U Corsair with decals located wrong. That "star and bars" should be on the bottom of the right wing, not on top of the nose
3) P-40 Warhawk with decals wrong again. The US Army was actually supposed to be on the BOTTOM of the wings, not on top. It's also missing the star on top of the right wing as it wasn't until late 1942-early 1943 that US planes dropped the top right and bottom left insignia and added the bars on each side, like on the Corsair
Old 12-15-2018, 08:07 AM
johnnymax

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jester_s1
Yep, definitely not a Spitfire. It should be a good flyer though.
My bad.. P-40
I though the star was not supposed to go on the nose. Thought it looked strange, but no reason not to buy it.

Last edited by johnnymax; 12-15-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:07 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are absolutely correct. The decals being mis-located is no reason to pass on an airplane and they certainly will not affect its flight characteristics.