Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

OS 46 IsoSmooth mount rubber crumbled

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

OS 46 IsoSmooth mount rubber crumbled

Old 02-08-2020, 03:12 PM
YellowHawk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OS 46 IsoSmooth mount rubber crumbled

It's been many years since I've flown RC aircraft. I have a Nexstar Select .46 that I used to fly a lot. It's been sitting out in my shop for some time. I went out today and decided I would like to get back into it again. First things first, the carb was stuck. I managed to get that freed up but I had to take the engine off to get it worked free. When I took the engine off, the rubber isolators from the IsoSmooth engine mount just crumbled. I can't locate replacements anywhere. Can I just hard mount the engine using straps (I think I have some) or is that a bad idea? Other than that, I know I need new TX an RX batteries. I haven't tried starting the engine since I don't have it mounted yet.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:51 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yellow Hawk, Yes, you can get rid of the Iso mounts and hard mount the engine. I have heard other cases of them failing with age. You may just consider throwing the whole mount out and replacing it with a new mount. If they are still available, the Great Planes mounts always worked well for me. Shoot some extra after run oil in the engine before firing it up and you will be fine.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:59 AM
YellowHawk

Originally Posted by 52larry52
Yellow Hawk, Yes, you can get rid of the Iso mounts and hard mount the engine. I have heard other cases of them failing with age. You may just consider throwing the whole mount out and replacing it with a new mount. If they are still available, the Great Planes mounts always worked well for me. Shoot some extra after run oil in the engine before firing it up and you will be fine.
Thanks Larry. I'll give that a try. I may try to start it up this evening. Wow, Villa Rica. That's a beautiful area. I've been through there several times. My parents lived up in Jasper for a few years. Dad was working at Lockheed Martin on the F-22. North Georgia might be my favorite place in the U.S.
The following users liked this post:
bingo field (02-24-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 12:43 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Nexstar that took allot of abuse eventually I rehabbed it and turned it into a float plane the 46 that came with it wasn’t going to haul it into the air so I upgraded to a OS 61 for more power. well had a little bit of a hangar rash incident and I decided to go with a 4 stroke for less grease and more low end with both engines I needed to change the mounts I went with a nylon 2 piece adjustable unit I did need to redrill the holes I just reused the old mounting screws and blind nuts having taken a 3 year break from RC I am looking forward to getting the old trainer back into the air I did convert it into a tail dragger and threw some wheels on it surprisingly it balances out perfectly even with the larger eng

ine
The following users liked this post:
bingo field (02-24-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 04:05 PM
YellowHawk

I went ahead and hard mounted the engine using some metal straps that came with it. I guess it'll be fine that way. It did start right up after sitting all those years. I had left the throttle closed and had a bit of a hard time getting that freed up. I guess the glow fuel gummed it up but it's good to go now. I also ordered an 8 channel receiver so I can add flaps to help slow it down for landing in the field. I just need to get a couple more servos. I have two Tower Hobbies System 2000 TS-51 standard servos but I believe those are for cars. Not sure it would really matter. I still have an old school 72 mHz Futaba T8UAFS transmitter. Oh well, it's not new but it still works. I don't have anywhere great to fly so I guess it's back to the old cow pasture by my house.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:33 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If the batteries were in for too many years they will need replacing for sure. If they are chalky, you should check the black negative wires up to and including the switches. They often turn green and go brittle which can cause a crash. If the batteries were removed from the plane and transmitter then there is no worries. I know I seldom remove them. One of my transmitters is junk because of this, and a few planes too. Just replaced the switch harness there. My carbs seize up all the time on some motors. A bit of fuel or carb cleaner sprayed in sometimes is all it takes to free up. Otherwise it is the heat gun after removing all the plastic. Don't know the strap details. As long as it is solid. Safety forced. If things vibrate in the air, land it immediately. Ask me how I know.