Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

More than one way to skin a cat...

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

More than one way to skin a cat...

Old 03-18-2020, 11:11 AM
Real2You

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default More than one way to skin a cat...

Hello all,
Just thought I would share this picture. Am I nuts for not using pins? I have built 5 or 6 kits and use very little pins. It just seems to me that weight works good and everything is right on straight. Locks to me work perfect for a good 90 degree when gluing ribs. Large bolts also work good and have 90 degrees on them.

Thoughts?
If anything this picture should be good for a few chuckles.
Old 03-18-2020, 11:13 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (53)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No big deal, especially if using thin CA
Old 03-18-2020, 02:06 PM
ETpilot

I donít use CA. Just wood glue. I use pins but I donít like having pins go through the wood. So use reshaped pins and I use weight too. They come in handy in many ways.

Old 03-18-2020, 03:22 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I personally prefer these two:
https://www.micromark.com/MAGNETIC-GLUING-JIG-6-X-24
https://www.micromark.com/SET-OF-THREE-ANGLE-PLATES
Old 03-19-2020, 06:44 AM
Real2You

All great ideas...anything to make the job easier or quicker. When I go to the hardware store I'm always looking for things that can be made/used when building. It's amazing how many things can be utilized when building.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:37 AM
allanflowers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For sheeting, or a series of ribs, using long sticks with a few weights works very well. Another idea for sheeting is to use old telephone books, which conform nicely to a wing section and don't concentrate the load unnecessarily. For sheeting around a cylindrical shape like a fuselage, I use ace bandages. They nicely distribute the load - avoiding uneven pressure. You can wet a sheet of balsa, slap it over a tube or pipe (as a preliminary form), wrap on the ace bandage - and it will dry quickly. Then the balsa is very close to the final shape when you want to glue it to your formers.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:21 AM
init4fun

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My go to method was always to use a very flat rigid table , sturdy enough to be inflexible , with a layer of soft wood on top of that for the pins to stick in ( Wax paper & the plans for the model being built of course being on top of the soft wood) . I never stuck the pins through the airplane's parts , but instead stuck them into the soft wood on the table in a blocking manner similar to what your doing with the weights .
Old 03-19-2020, 08:36 AM
Real2You

I'm learning something...more great ideas. Thanks guys!
Old 03-19-2020, 02:24 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by Real2You View Post
I'm learning something...more great ideas. Thanks guys!
And that, my friend, is what this forum is for. Exchanging ideas and techniques makes us all better builders and, as long as you stay out of the AMA forum(always a hot bed of argument and bad blood), you will find the forums to be very informative and helpful. If you want to read a very informative build thread that gives a lot of tips and techniques, check out this one:
TF Beechcraft Bonanza F33A Build
Old 03-20-2020, 06:40 AM
Real2You

Wow...that Beechcraft Bonanza build was pretty interesting. Got some ideas from it also. Amazing how precise and intricate a builder he is. I always wondered if those long sanding bars work good. It seems to me it would be hard to have even pressure across the whole sanding area.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:51 AM
Hydro Junkie

If the wing has a consistent airfoil across it's length, the long sanding blocks work great. I know that due to the fact I use them to sand the bottom of the frames when I build a scale unlimited hydroplane. Obviously, I build my boats out of birch plywood rather than balsa so it takes more to sand everything but the process is still the same.