Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Getting back into the hobby need advice

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Getting back into the hobby need advice

Old 09-15-2020, 05:34 PM
fstevenj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting back into the hobby need advice

Hello,
I am getting back into the hobby and need some advice. I have a 4 star 40 with old receiver and servos, talking 10 years old. Going to buy new receiver to go with my spectrum 7x transmitter that is newer. Any advice on receiver would be a bonus, but really need advice on battery pack to use for receiver and 4 servos. My old pack is Nicad. Thanks
Old 09-15-2020, 07:05 PM
SoCalErv

I will assume this is a four channel setup. I would go buy a spectrum receiver in your choice of channels and a 6V 2000mAh NiMH receiver pack to keep it simple. Your wall plug charger will work with this battery.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:15 PM
tedsander

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Depends on how much you want to spend.
LiFePO4 (Lithium Iron or LiFe or "A123") 2s packs are the way to go. 700mah will get you at least 15 15 min flights before a recharge. And they recharge in an hour. (I track flight/time/pack usage in the LT-40 I use for our club training program). Regular LiPo's are a bit too high in voltage. But you will need a charger specifically made to charge them. Most new ones will. And you probably want one that doesn't need an external power supply, so you can plug it into a wall outlet. You should do a bit of reading up on care and feeding of any lithiums, as it is a bit different than in the old NiCad days. LiFe are much safer than LiPo's, but as Spiderman notes "With great power, comes great responsibility".
NiCads are still available, as are NiMh. They have improved in capacity for the size, so be a bit careful when searching on line. Your old "wall wart" charger can do 500 mah packs overnight. But if you get a higher capacity pack, it will take longer. It can be easy to buy "too big", meaning the charger will take a very long time to charge them up.
There's another recent thread about this same subject, so do a bit of searching. Others have suggested specific chargers, etc. and where they bought them.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:35 AM
rgburrill

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Go with the NiMHs. LiFes are expensive and overrated. If you can get only 15 minutes out of one that's nuts - I would get that much out of a 4.8V, 600,mA NiCd - a 2000mA NiMH will let you fly all day. And I'd stay with 4.8V instead of 6. I haven't seen any reason to go to 6 yet.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:31 AM
tedsander

Originally Posted by rgburrill View Post
Go with the NiMHs. LiFes are expensive and overrated. If you can get only 15 minutes out of one that's nuts - I would get that much out of a 4.8V, 600,mA NiCd - a 2000mA NiMH will let you fly all day. And I'd stay with 4.8V instead of 6. I haven't seen any reason to go to 6 yet.
Re-read - that was fifteen 15 min flights. 3 1/2 to 4 hrs of flying. The battery is only about $5 https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-co...iver-pack.html
The charger is all over the place, depending on make, model and source.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:41 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I prefer LIFe batteries for receivers in any plane that size. A nice 2S-1100mah LiFe would give hours of flying and "on time" on a small plane like that... and probably cost about $8 for the battery through HobbyKing.

I have 1100mah LiFe's in all my small .40-.60 size planes, and never had one go bad. I still have the first one I installed in the same plane 6yrs ago, and it shows no signs of deteriorating. I pay close attention to my charge data, and log every charge on every battery, which the data features on new chargers make that easily possible... I've found the 6.6v power runs everything with authority as well. Very fast and strong.

So yeah... my vote if for LiFe's. Once you use them you won't look back. Good luck with it.

Bonus: It's not clear which Spektrum transmitter you have(7x doesn't make sense), but if your tranny is DSMX capable, the AR620, and newer AR630 are great for these smaller sport planes... and actually very afforadable.

Last edited by DGrant; 09-16-2020 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-16-2020, 05:01 PM
fstevenj

Thank you for the advice. I have a Dx7 transmitter.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:57 PM
Corsair3660

Default Life battery

I already had a multi type charger so I bought a 2000mah battery for my nitro planes. I donít have many flights on it yet but I have a bunch of run time on the ground because my engines had been sitting and I wanted to run a few tanks before they left the ground. I still had plenty of time after several hours of receiver binding, servo set up and engine tests on 2 different planes(same rx battery). And the battery was only $30 at my LHS which I think is pretty reasonable considering what some people pay for main batteries for electric
Old 09-17-2020, 12:16 PM
jester_s1

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Be careful with those cheap batteries. Do a cycle test when new just to make sure they work, and figure on replacing them every year. They don't last long.
And yes, I'm aware there's probably some guy out there who has gotten 4 years of use out of an $8 Hobbyking battery on a plane he flies every other week. That's luck, not wisdom.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:38 PM
tedsander

Well, I am one of those guys. 3 planes with those, one flown every week in the summer for 5-10 flights each time. About 4 years. But point taken.
These batteries are what I put in my bigger planes: https://electrodynam.com/rc/EDNano/index.shtml, but their smallest size is 2500 mah, which in an LT-40 will get you well over 13 hours of flying before you need to recharge. And they cost $52.
These are a more reasonable size, and cheaper: https://www.chiefaircraft.com/spk-b900lfrx.html Haven't used, but if Spektrum puts their name on them, they should be a little trustworthy, one would hope.
Old 09-19-2020, 02:43 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If only I had the same luck playing the lottery I'd be a millionaire.

As I mentioned before, always pay attention to your charge data. It's your best indication of any possible problems. Create a log for every plane/battery. Even better is when you combine that data with real time telemetry. All that won't guarantee there's no problems, but it sure might alert a flyer to a potential situation.

Last edited by DGrant; 09-19-2020 at 02:45 PM.