Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Balancing plane

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Balancing plane

Old 08-31-2021, 08:44 AM
foxhills36

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balancing plane

What are the best ways or methods to balance planes?
Old 08-31-2021, 12:54 PM
jaka54

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
During my 46 years in this hobby (Gosh) I have allways balanced all my airplanes with my index fingers, holding under the wing ,with airplane right way up (not inverted).
Old 08-31-2021, 08:37 PM
tedsander

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

As jaka54 said...until the planes get too big to lift by your fingers. Then do a search on a "Vannessa Rig" or methods done by weighing each of the wheels and measuring.
All will get you in the ballpark. Then flight testing will be needed to fine tune it.
Old 09-01-2021, 04:29 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jaka54 View Post
Hi!
During my 46 years in this hobby (Gosh) I have allways balanced all my airplanes with my index fingers, holding under the wing ,with airplane right way up (not inverted).
It's a lot easier to balance a low-wing plane inverted if you're using your fingers. The CG doesn't change when you turn a model upside-down, but getting a reasonably stable balance is easier if more of the plane's weight is below your finger tips than above. If you can do it the other way, that's fine, but there's no reason why you need to. With a Vanessa rig it doesn't matter at all, which is one of the benefits of using one.
Old 09-03-2021, 04:40 AM
jaka54

Hi!
The first balancing is just a primary balancing so you know that the C of G is in the right ballpark. Then you fly the plane and adjust the the C of G according to how the plane reacts. I never (at least try to) add lead weights, better to remove the servos and battery!
1. If the plane dives slightly in a sharp 70-90 degree bank , pylon turn (flying straight and level), then the plane is front heavy and the C of G must be altered.
2. Flying into the wind you reduce throttle to idle. The plane should be capable to sustain flight forward (nearly standing still) without dropping its nose as you give more and more elevator stick.
This is how I try out all my planes, be it pylon racers, aerobatic F3A or scale.

Great planes "GEE BEER-2" with MVVS 15cc engine and Tettra bubble less tank.

Old 09-05-2021, 08:45 AM
init4fun

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Balancing act....

Old 09-05-2021, 11:22 AM
jaka54

Hi!
A CL plane is not balanced the way a R/C plane is. C of G is much more forward on a CL plane. R/C planes are mostly balanced at 25-30 % of the wing cord.
Old 09-22-2021, 05:16 PM
jucava

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Balancing act....

This is the best way.

High wing right side up, low wing inverted.
Old 09-30-2021, 01:07 AM
jaka54

Hi!
The easiest (best way...) of balancing a normal size R/C plane, like the one in the picture, is with your two long fingers!