Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

which radio?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

which radio?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2021, 10:33 PM
BankedTurn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which radio?

Im new to flying RC planes. have only several flights with 400mm foam plane under my belt, and using the gyro mode.
I want to buy a new radio, in part for a simulator, and to join a club in the near future (I dont think the radio included will work, eg it doesnt have FCC id)
Considering Jumper t-lite and Eachine tx16s. Must be multi mode.
I like the small Jumper more, but I dont wont to be 'forced' to buy a more expensive radio if eg the club doesnt allow it.
Advice? thanks.
Old 11-05-2021, 04:14 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Seems like you should be asking the club, not here.
Old 11-05-2021, 10:28 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I have to agree with RG, check with the club.
Now, with that said, I don't know of any radio with FCC ID. Are you referring to the FAA's ID rule that was recently announced? There is still litigation going on over that one, don't know if a transponder is going to be required or not until that case is settled
Old 11-05-2021, 11:28 AM
BankedTurn

thanks. I thought the technical / safety rules would be same in all clubs, but that was just my assumption, which appears not to be correct. Ill check with the club.
there are several clubs in my area, and one has the rules listed online, including 'all transmitters will have a valid FCC or IC number affixed.' Based on the reply above I assume this is not necessarily a requirement in some clubs.
So let me rephrase the question: is there anything with Jumper t lite that is likely make me regret buying it over Eachine tx16s?
Old 11-12-2021, 11:33 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The FCC requirement you're talking about is the approval for the radio design that makes it legal to use in the US. If you buy your radio from a reputable vendor, that's going to be a given. Sometimes manufacturers will make versions of their radios for different markets that have different power and interference standards, making each one legal in one country but not in another. So the requirement you're reading about addresses resellers who buy in China and illegally import to the US to get around customs and therefore put non-approved radios into the US market.
As for your radio choices, both are open source and will require some learning curve to learn how to program and set up. Honestly, unless you really need the multi-protocol feature of the Jumper, you can spend your money better. Eachine stuff is cheap and junky. If you want something inexpensive, the FRSky (not flysky) radios have a good reputation. You should probably check compatibility with the simulator you plan to buy though.
Old 11-12-2021, 07:44 PM
BankedTurn

thanks for the info. Already ordered Jumper t lite. the price was reasonable on banggood. thanks.