Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Did I get a good deal?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Did I get a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2022, 09:16 AM
Minkis815

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I get a good deal?

I was scrolling through Facebook market place and came across a nitro trainer plane which what I believe to be a 40 size. It is a Thunder Tiger Tiger Trainer MK2. It needed some love as the guy I got it from purchased it back in 2000 and it just sat in his man cave hanging from the ceiling. The engine seized and the carburetor also did not move. After a good thorough cleaning, fresh fuel lines, and some elbow grease, I got the plane running like a champ. Idles perfect, quick revving, and very responsive. All the electronics work as they should and seem to be in like new condition. Long story short, I paid $80 for it with everything needed to start and fly the plane. Electric starter, infighter, chargers for the receiver, transmitter, and ignighter, manual and electric fuel pumps, a t wrench and even all the manuals and paperwork from when it was new. So, did I get a good deal? Or are these planes not worth much? It appears as if it has never been flown. Or if it has, very gently. The guy I purchased it from said he never flew it, but the original owner may have.
Old 09-03-2022, 10:15 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

80 bux? Yea that's a good deal
Old 09-04-2022, 06:40 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I paid $50 for a complete trainer set 30 years ago. Yea, you got a good deal.
Old 09-06-2022, 10:37 AM
Battle Short
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very good deal.

My first trainer was a .60 sized ARF. By the time I it was ready to fly I easily had $500 in it and probably similar amount of time as you do in yours. Granted it was a bit bigger but the cost wasn't much more than a .40 size and time spent would have been same.

Have fun!
Glenn
Old 09-06-2022, 02:50 PM
Outrider6
My Feedback: (2)

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Yep - you got lucky. I have about $700 in my SIG Somethin' Extra (for everything), and am scratch-building a Goldberg Ultimate now, with about $500 in build materials alone; not to mention the engine and radio.