Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

New flyer has airfield question

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

New flyer has airfield question

Old 12-30-2003, 01:53 AM
dang_88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New flyer has airfield question

Hello all,

I just bought my dad and my self two beginer planes (Firebird II) for Christmas. We are looking forward to going out this Sunday to fly, but do not know if we need to go to an RC airfield or what? We live in the LA/Orange County area of California. Are we allowed to fly at parks, or do we have to go to an airfield? Also, if any one knows of an RC airfield near Cypress, CA I would be much obliged if you could pass on that info. My dad has been wanting to fly rc planes since I was a kid (20+ years), so this is a pretty big deal for me to do this with him.

Thanks for all the help.

Dan G
[email protected]
Old 12-30-2003, 02:09 AM
jdavies300s

Default RE: New flyer has airfield question

hi dan,
first and foremost, welcome to the best hobby in the world! you can usually fly at a park, the firebird if i'm not mistaken, is a small electric with no landing gear? i haven't flown one yet, i tend to go away from electrics after my first incident with them.(a big 3 second flight followed by and even bigger crunch!!!) but they are relatively easy to fly. i would try to find someone that knows how to fly, just for the sake of your wallet. they should be glad to help you learn how to fly. ama is a modeler's insurance company and usually runs $60 a year. it covers property damage, and injury to people if you hit them. i strongly recommend that you get insurance before flying.

it is also a good idea to get involved with a club. you can use their field, and i'm sure n e one in the club will teach you the basics, and if you move on to glo powered aircraft, they will become even more useful! this web site has a club finder. go to the rc community tab, and go to local clubs. it'll ask you to type in your zip i believe. then it will list the clubs in your state/area. also they have the r/c venues. those are the different flying fields in your area. that is also very helpful. i found 2 more in my area that i never knew were there!
good luck, and again, welcome to the wonderful world of r/c modeling. i'm sure you will love the sport.
-james
Old 12-30-2003, 11:31 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dan,
A park is fine for the Firebirds, but be sure you are well away from people and any buildings. The Firebird will need the equivalent of at least two soccer fields of area without obstructions. (Like trees, poles, dogs, etc. )

Do NOT try to fly when there's more than a mild breeze. If you see tree branches moving, it's almost too windy for the Firebird. [:@]

Bring Foam Safe CA (usually "odorless" CA) or 5 minute epoxy. You will most likely crash repeatedly, and glue may keep you flying. 5 minute epoxy will usually cure enough to fly again within about 30 minutes. Foam safe CA cures almost instantly.

AMA insurance is a good thing, but probably not necessary for your planes. Of course, if you fly around people or buildings and hit someone or something, you could be sued.

As James said; use the feature here at RCU to locate clubs nearby. It's worth driving by to watch and ask questions if nothing else.

The AMA site also has a club locator page. http://www.modelaircraft.org

Best of luck,
Dennis-
Old 12-30-2003, 02:31 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to a great hobby. Dad sounds like me only it took me 40 years to finally get into the hobby. I started with an Aerobird in March and now have 8 planes. Good luck with the Firebirds.

Here are some tips for anyone who flies the HobbyZone two channel planes.

As mentioned above, a critical piece of advice to you and to all two channel pilots. Respect the
wind! Don't even think of taking early flights in more than 3-5 MPH winds. Forget it!

REALLY RESPECT THE WIND!!!!!

These planes have throttle and rudder control only.

If you fly on a windy day you have a very high probability of losing the
plane. Why, because you have no way to fight the wind. If the plane gets
down wind from you, and it will, here is what happens. You hit the power to
fight the wind, but these planes climb when you hit the power, so instead of
coming back to you, they climb and as they climb, the wind pushes the plane
further away.

A very very experience two channel pilot can work around this through a maneuvers called the death spiral. However, this is a difficult thing to control for a new pilot. There is a fellow in our club who has lost two Firebird Commanders to the wind. I even lost an Aerobird because I did not know to push the nose down to dive into the wind at the time and the Aerobird is a three channel plane. It was my first flight. Today I don't have this problem.

Now, when the wind is mild to moderate, 2-5 mph, he is very very good with
this plane. However he is still pretty new, maybe 15 flights, and has not
learned how to handle this plane in the wind. You must assume that you can not handle the wind either.

A three channel plane with elevator control can push the nose down and dive
into the wind to come back. So, don't fly your rudder/elevator or diff thrust
plane in wind over 5 MPH until you are very good with the plane. Don't get
over 7 MPH until you can easily fight your way back from a down wind position.
The Outlaw is not recommeded for winds of over 8 mph by the manufacturer.

TIP

I don't know if this works for that Outlaw, but for the Firebird, II, XL,
Fighterbird and Commander, if you put a popsicle stick under the back of the
wing, it lowers the angle of attack of the wing and the plane will not climb
as much on power application. If you learn to manage the plane well, this can
give you better penetration into the wind, but it still will not let you put
the nose down into the wind. Don't do this on your early flights!

If you have questions, ask. There is a ton of info on the forum and people who can help you.

Good luck and welcome to the hobby.
Old 12-30-2003, 03:18 PM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

I found with a Firebird that a big space for the first few flights was important. Also find an area that is clear of obstructions as was mentioned earlier. You may need the extra space to manuever.

Your first flights do not need to be long and high. I suggest your first few flights be made without turns to get the feel of the plane. Fly 20 feet and land, and then a little longer, etc until you are more familiar with the plane. It flies pretty easy. Remember to launch into the wind and be ready when turning with the wind because this plane is light and the wind will take it pretty fast. Enjoy.
Old 12-30-2003, 04:48 PM
aeajr

mnrcaerobat

The straight ahead suggestion is perfect. I forgot to add that. That is how I do first flights on new planes. Since the landing is the hardest part, this gives you a feel for how it will fly straight and how it will land.

Excellent point!
Old 12-31-2003, 05:39 AM
dang_88

WOW! Thanks for all the suggestions guys. If the wind doesn't kick up to bad, I think we'll have great time on Sunday.

Thanks again,
Dan
Old 12-31-2003, 09:17 AM
Mikerjf

If you have a local RC hobby shop ask if there are any flying fields in your area. If there are any near where you plan to fly you might wind up on someones frequency and you'll both have a bad day. If you can't get any info, the first time you go out turn the plane on without the tx and watch it for a minute or two, if it just jitters your OK, if the surfaces are moving you're on somebody's frequency.

Mike
Old 12-31-2003, 10:44 AM
aeajr

This link will take you to the club locator. It will tell you where there are AMA registered clubs in your area.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/templat...5E31DE4FA6F552

Mikerjf makes an outstanding point about channel conflict.

I always recommend joining a club.

If you are in a club, you will want to check with the person who keeps track
of channels and try to pick one that has few or no one on it to avoid
conflicts. You can't have two planes in the air on the same channel. One or
both will crash due to signal conflict. This is VERY serious and you must pay
attention to channel conflict.

If you are not in a club and don't intend to join one, then you might check to
see if there is one in your area anyway.

Why?

Because the more powerful transmitters have a 2 mile+ range. For example, if
you are channel 15 and there is someone a mile away on channel 15 and he turns
on his radio while you are in the air he MIGHT bring you plane down. Or, you
might bring his down.

This is very serious and very real.

AMA guidelines calls for flying fields to be at least 3 miles apart for this
reason.

Clubs are great!

Some clubs are electric clubs, some glo fuel only and some take all commers,
so it is worth a call to find out. And, if nothing else, you can check on
channel conflict and let them know what channel you are on as a coutrsey so
they can try to avoid conflict with you.