Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Flew a solo flight today! - RealFlight G2 works

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Flew a solo flight today! - RealFlight G2 works

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2002, 08:52 PM
moses

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flew a solo flight today! - RealFlight G2 works

RealFlight G2 works – best purchase I ever made (I do not work for Great Planes or Knife Edge). I have been practicing with RealFlight since early January. I actually started out with FMS (which works pretty well - amazing actually, considering it’s free). Both simulators help you with your orientation – especially when viewing the plane at a distance. RealFlight has seems to have more realistic landings and you can practice with wind. I also like the look at ground feature. This gives you a perspective that is very similar to actual flying since you can always see at least a bit of the ground.

Well … there was no virtually wind today so the instructor let me try some landings with my trainer (Sig LT-40 ARF) today for the first time. This is after about 12 flights of flying the pattern and practicing approaches. Today I flew four good flights and landed the plane all four times – nice and smooth. I actually landed the plane three times before I attempted a take off. On the last flight I took off and landed - nice smooth touch down – taxied back to the flight line. It was a great day.

I was pleasantly surprised that landing my trainer (in low wind conditions) is quite similar to RealFlight. The PT 40 trainer in RealFlight floats a bit more than my plane, but its close enough. Ground handling and take off was different (we fly off of grass) but I managed to get the plane in the air. My plane bounced a bit on the grass and changed direction a bit (I obviously need more practice on the rudder). Also my plane does not climb out quite as well as the PT 40 in RealFlight.

Without RealFlight, it honestly doubt that I would have been able to learn how to fly. I’m just not all that coordinated and I just don’t have enough time to spend flying. Of course, with the simulator I can practice any time I like.

At any rate, the instructor said I’m doing great. Now I need to get some stick time on more windy days. I’ll be signed off for solo flight in no time. Let’s face it folks - simulators (especially RealFlight G2) are great.

Moses
Old 05-28-2002, 12:07 AM
turbojoe
My Feedback: (8)

Hot diggity dog! This is exactly what I've been waiting to hear. As much as I've been flying Real Flight I wanted to be sure it was in fact good training. Today I got out to to the club field that I just joined. I only talked to the guys, I didn't fly yet. Maybe weekend after next. After watching the same planes I have flying I'm certain Real Flight is very close to the real thing. I just haven't been able to get anyone to say with Moses' enthusiasm just how close to real it is. Now I'm really stoked. Glad to hear you're doing so well so soon Moses. I have some LT-40 files I can send you to try out if you want. Just e-mail me:
[email protected]
Old 05-28-2002, 02:14 AM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Moses:
That's great ot hear, but G2 is for advanced pilots too. Lets you
program in some wind gust to practice landings. I use it all the
time when the weather doesn't cooperate.
I like to have my trainees stand in the runway directly behind the
plane for the first few take-offs to help stay ahead of the plane
veering to one side then over-correcting. This is only done if the
other pilots are up for a while.
Keep up the good progress and go out as often as you can to
burn up that first gallon and you should be soloing when it's empty or shortly after.

Randy
Old 05-28-2002, 02:30 AM
moses

Badmeat, I will e-mail you on the simulator files. I'm always willing to try a new RealFlight model.

I certainly find RealFlight to be close enough. During actual flight, RealFlight is very close. It really helps you keep your orientation visually when the plane is far away and somewhat difficult to see. I also find that when I turn the wind up in RealFlight the simulated plane behaves almost identical to the actual plane in windy conditions. The air is usually just a bit more turbulent at our flying field compared to RealFlight.

Your doing the right thing by going to a club. Flying with an instructor on a buddy box is great. It keeps your nerves much calmer knowing that the instructor will save you (or at least try) when you make a mistake. I was not even nervous on my first flight. Today I was a bit nervous but I still had the instructor with me and it made me feel better. I know my knees would be knocking if I tried to fly without any instructor from the start (I'm pretty sure I would have crashed). The instructor helped me get the plane set up right, trimmed and the engine tuned - very important stuff.

The trick is to recognize that RealFlight is not exact, particularly on take-off and landing and adapt a bit when you fly the actual plane.

I did some flying with a downloaded RealFlight model of the Sig LT-40 from http://zeus.rcwizard.com/fubar_hill/. It is a bit different from the RealFlight PT 40 and also different than my plane (the simulated LT-40, like the PT 40, glides much better than my plane). In other words, with the real plane when you chop the throttle, the plane descends quite a bit faster. You have to be on the elevator a bit to keep the nose down and keep the speed up - or the plane will stall. This is not a problem, you just practice your approaches and you will see pretty quickly (and the instructor will tell you) where to start your turns, when to throttle back, what descent angle to use and the like.

I also noticed that my plane is less sensitive to elevator input during landings. When I flare just before touchdown the real plane did not seem to want to balloon upward (which is quite easy to do in RealFlight). One would expect these kinds of variations between a simulated plane and a real plane. But in the end, the simulator is close enough so you can transition to the real plane.

Keep in mind that I was flying today in virtually no wind. The air was almost completely still at all altitudes (I felt like I was cheating). Landing in windy conditions is obviously much more difficult. I flew several times on windy days and my instructor made landing look easy - and we all know that its not that easy. Hopefully, with the combination of RealFlight and some stick time, I will be able to land consistently under more normal conditions. I'm just praying that I avoid the inevitable dumb thumb and/or "flight failure" for as long as possible.

Good Luck,
Moses
Old 05-28-2002, 02:56 AM
turbojoe
My Feedback: (8)

Moses. The file you got from The Unofficial G2 swap page is the one I would have sent you. I do have another file I made in the beginning based solely on the specs in the LT-40 manual. You're welcome to it too.
I flew a loooonnnggg time ago. I never did feel comfortable. I felt the same way when I first started on R.F. Now I can fly anything. Landing is only a problem with the jets. I can land them but usually too fast and run off the end of the runway. Other than that I'm not nervous at all about getting in the air again. It'll probably be a different story when I'm airborn for real again but I don't think the jitters will last for years like it did before.
Old 05-28-2002, 12:07 PM
hawkpilot
My Feedback: (7)

I LOVE my g2 sim. I found something that is excellent in sharpening of the reflexes:

Make a copy of the4 F-16 (turbine) I labeled mine F-16 2
Edit engines, and add a 43 LB thrust turbine.
Fly it!!

If you can fly and land this thing, you can fly ANYTHING!! I practice with this plane alot, still crash some but can fly and land it. It will take off at 1/4 throttle and flaps at full. I land with 1/2 flaps. Fly it from the full scale airport. I have had 750 MPH out of it in a dive, flys regularly at 350+. Use the high rates!!!!! I just bought a TF Cessna and have been practicing with it, and after flying the F-16 2, I almost fell asleep flying the Cessna, it was like sloooooww motion. Flying the F-16 has GREATLY sharpened my reflexes. You have to have the add-ons to fly this setup. The add-ons are well worth the money!!