Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How long are batteries good for

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How long are batteries good for

Old 05-16-2003, 06:09 PM
crash whiplash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long are batteries good for

I got into R/C airplanes about 4 years ago, bought all the good stuff in the way of batteries then had a family emergency that lasted about 3 years. Now that I cleaned out my hobby room and got all three of my radios and different niCad battery packs sitting on the table I am wondering are they still good? What is the proper way to charge them back up? What is the proper way to store these kind of high end batteries when you know you wont use them for months on end?
Thanks in advance for any imput

Crash Whiplash
Old 05-16-2003, 09:49 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long are batteries good for

The correct way to store NiCds when you won't be using them... Once a month, take them out and cycle them.

NiCds stored, after the initial charge, un-used for more than a few months often go bad. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] You can attempt to revive the batteries, by:
1) Fast charge at a rate equal to the capacity for 1 hr 15 min.
2) discharge to 1.1 v per cell.
(do 1 and 2 twice)
3) slow charge and then cycle test.

If at that point they have less than 75% of rated capacity... give up. If they have at least 80% and less than 90%, you can try anouther round of the above routine. If they don't get to 90%... trash them, as they will go bad. (sometimes dropping form 75% capacity to 5% in one charge...)