Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

4 star or Tiger 2?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

4 star or Tiger 2?

Old 10-15-2004, 08:30 AM
jkinosh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 star or Tiger 2?

I am Planning to build my second plane this winter, and am trying to decide between a Tiger 2 or a 4 star, Not sure if I will go 40 or 60 size though. Right now I am flying a Great Planes PT-40, and will hopefully finish my flight training early next spring, since I didn't get out at all this year, and did most of my training last year, but have been using FMS simulator quite a bit, and seem to be able to control it quite well.

I think that I am leaning more toward the Tiger 2, but, was wondering what you guys thought. I want something that is going to fly great, and allow me to enjoy the building process.

Thanks,

Jacob
Old 10-15-2004, 08:39 AM
BlenderBender

Default RE: 4 star or Tiger 2?

jkinosh,

I know I was in the same boat.... ended up going with the four star 60 and built the kit. I can tell you with it being a laser cut kit everything went together very nice with little or no sandingwhich made the covering come out that much better. It flys like a baby to... I still enjoy flying it....it is one of those plane you just fell real comfortalble flying, but yet it will still let you spread your wings so to speak.

I can't speak for the Tiger 2 but I am sure someone has had some experience with it. Good luck and have fun!

John
Old 10-15-2004, 09:21 AM
flyer495th

I called my instructor and asked him the same question. I ended up getting the CG Tiger II ARF and it is a great flyer. I have seen the SIG 4 star 40 fly and the Tiger II is way better. I have an OS 46 FX and went with the tail dragger option. It balanced out perfect with no weights. It is a great plane.

Bob
Old 10-15-2004, 09:25 AM
jkinosh

Like I said earlier, I am leaning more towars the tiger2, it just seems like you see an awful lot of 4 stars, and I would like to be able to fly something a little different.

Jacob
Old 10-15-2004, 09:27 AM
rcfury
My Feedback: (5)

Go for the tiger 2... Awsome flying plane tracks beautifully. I didn't like the 4 star because it was a little to light and seemed very brittle. Ive got about 80 or so flights on my tiger and its beautiful.

Im selling it with OS .46ax and all, just add reciever.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:48 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

You really can't go wrong either way. The big plus on the 4* is the laser cutting. Aside from that, both kits build very well.

The flight characteristics are very similar, but the 4* seems a bit lighter and more agile, while the Tiger seems a bit more smooth and solid.

You will enjoy either one.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:01 AM
Fastsky

The Tiger2 is easier to land in the wind. Reason being is that the 4* will keep flying without losing altitude unless you slow it down almost to a standstill. Flying the plane this slow in windy conditions is risky and I have seen lots of 4*,s get whipped backward upside down while trying to land in windy conditions. The Tiger has a more positve decent rate which helps in this situation. If money is tight the 4* is a little cheaper. Looks wise I think the Tiger2 looks much nicer. I have a Tiger 2 ARF and the quality of the kit is very nice. The fuel tank is only about 8 oz. so I upgraded to a 10 oz. but thats minor. I went for the taildragger version. Makes it easier to transport as well with the wheels holding the fuselage up.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:51 PM
cde0214

It all depends on what you want, The four star will be more docile, the tiger will be faster and more precice!
Old 10-15-2004, 04:16 PM
iowanspctr

I built a .40 size Tiger II as a tail dragger. I really like this plane! Very precise and handles wind very well, I think it flies a bit faster than the 4* and seems to land better. I don't think you'd be wrong with either, though.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:23 PM
rcfury
My Feedback: (5)

I can agree with all of you with the tiger 2. Cross winds with the tiger is allright, it does weather vein a bit. Just stay on the rudder.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:37 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

They're both very good choices, and I'd agree with what's been said.

Tiger 2 is a bit faster, smoother, and penetrates wind a little better. The 4* is lighter and a tail dragger which would teach you another skill.

I've flown both, now have both. I've also owned a couple of Super Sportsters, another excellent second or third plane.
Dennis-
Old 10-17-2004, 10:45 AM
RSABY50

[8D]
Hello!
I got my wing this summer in july and I flown my AeroStar 40 for the rest of the summer, I talked with many members at the club and the 4*60 should be the right choice, so I bought that to build during the winter, but I won a Tiger 2-40 kit at the funfly, so I buid it and I should try it out this weekend but the temp is not good, wind of 25kmh and gusty.... so I'll wait.

For the construction, I doesn't like the kit, it's not laser cut, so sanding is popular and it miss somme parts like one leading edge and all the ribs, I had to send an email and I received it after 4 weeks.

So I didn't like this kit for these reason. But It could be a kit it was on the shelf of the store for a long time and the owner of the store decide to give-it for the funfly!

I build it in a tricycle and I think the transition from my AeroStar should be ease, because I gone have to learn one thing at time, for this one it gone be the low wing feature, but I should build my 4*60 during the winter and when I think I'm been ok to go I'll try-it during the next mid summer, I should install a Saito 82 on it. On my Tiger I install the OS 46 from my Trainer.

There some picture of my Tiger 2
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44463.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	183575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78027.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	183576   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51427.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	183577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz73408.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	183578  
Old 10-17-2004, 11:11 PM
Norm Nestie

Hasve built and flown both and would suggest the Tiger 2, much better plane in all ways.