Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

PLease help Wife wants to get her hubby his 1st plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

PLease help Wife wants to get her hubby his 1st plane

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 12:58 PM
hbburchett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLease help Wife wants to get her hubby his 1st plane

Ok I need your expert advice here cause I am clueless. My husband said he has always wanted a remote control airplane so I want to get him one for Christmas. I doubt this will be a hobby or anything I just want to get him something he can have fun with. I am pretty sure I want a RTF from everything I have been reading on here. We don't have tons of money to spend but I want something nice. What can I get him. PLease help me out! My husband will appreciate it soooo much!

Hillary
Old 10-31-2004, 01:13 PM
nitrobasher
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: PLease help Wife wants to get her hubby his 1st plane

I think a Hobbico Avistar would be a nice one to start out with. Its 270 dollars. and the only thing required to fly it is fuel. And some minor work (probably wings and landing gear and that stuff) Hope i helped. cya

P.S. you can buy this stuff from www.towerhobbies.com
Old 10-31-2004, 01:22 PM
hbburchett

I found this one on e-bay would this be ok for a beginner or does it stink? Would I need anything else?????

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...930583632&rd=1

Hillary
Old 10-31-2004, 01:24 PM
hbburchett

Ok I am a retard that link doesn't work but here is what it is
CCLEE C17E Twin Wing Scale RC RTF Plane????

Thanks for your help

Hillary
Old 10-31-2004, 01:56 PM
nitrobasher

no that would not be a good plane to start out on. First off its a Bipe. And also does your husband want an electric or nitro *gas*?

http://towerhobbies.com/listings/cat-cat-a.html follow that link and look for the planes that say RTF. unless you want to buy an engine and radio and stuff
Old 10-31-2004, 01:59 PM
ICE_MAN

I agree with nitrobasher. Tha Hobbico Avistar OR Super Star.. Be sure you order the RTF
version instead of the ARF version. Then for $120 more check out the hobbico Field totes.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXL419&P=0

That field box comes with EVERY THING:
1.) Electric Starter
2.) Fuel Pump
3.) Field Tote Battery
4.) Field Box
5.) Recoil Fuel Tubing
6.) Glow Ignitor
7.) Power Panel
8.) Filling Station..

This will be all you need besides fuel,.. Oh and always make sure he finds a local Club and gets and instructor Hope this helps. cheers
Old 10-31-2004, 02:57 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

To give imput to the other side of the fence, go to www.horizonhobby.com and look at the Hanger 9 Alpha and Arrow.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:08 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

hbburchett, I'm sorry to tell you this, but radio controlled airplanes is not a hobby that you can "Play around" with.

Yes, there are some inexpensive RTFs like the one you mentioned, but they are little more than toys, and not really adviseable.

First you would need to spend in the neighborhood of $300 to $400 (Maybe as low as $250), but that only gets you an airplane. You still need instruction, and while instruction is free, you need to join a club to get that free instruction.

Club dues range greatly from $20 - $300 per year, and 99.9% of them require insurance through the AMA which costs $58 / year.

So it's really not something to play with.

What I would suggest is to find the clubs in your area and visit them. They will probably have a plane available that your husband can try. If he likes it, they may help him along with some used equipment, etc. and bring him in gradually (Which can be much easier on the wallet! )
Old 10-31-2004, 06:37 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hillary,

I have to agree with Minnflyer. The best you could do would be to contact local clubs, see if they have a demo training plane, and see if you can swing a demo / training flight for him.

In addition... if he ever adopts one of the many hobby activities we participate in... never buy him a plane or piece of hardware without his input. It's like buying tools for a mechanic, or a computer for an IS guru. They have their own ideas about what to use.

But for now, check around with the local hobby shops and clubs, and learn how they train new folks. You'll find them helpful, I'm sure.

Good luck,
Dave Olson

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

hbburchett, I'm sorry to tell you this, but radio controlled airplanes is not a hobby that you can "Play around" with.

Yes, there are some inexpensive RTFs like the one you mentioned, but they are little more than toys, and not really adviseable.

First you would need to spend in the neighborhood of $300 to $400 (Maybe as low as $250), but that only gets you an airplane. You still need instruction, and while instruction is free, you need to join a club to get that free instruction.

Club dues range greatly from $20 - $300 per year, and 99.9% of them require insurance through the AMA which costs $58 / year.

So it's really not something to play with.

What I would suggest is to find the clubs in your area and visit them. They will probably have a plane available that your husband can try. If he likes it, they may help him along with some used equipment, etc. and bring him in gradually (Which can be much easier on the wallet! )
Old 10-31-2004, 07:24 PM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hillary, I admire you unselfishness & thoughtfullness. However, keep your eyes open on this one -- it is an addictive activity, so don't be surprised if he starts sleeping with the plane. Given that, if you still want to go there, the best advice given so far has been to visit a local club. I would add visit a local hobby shop as well. They will give you lots of info & help in getting him started. The Avistar RTF & Superstar RTF already mentioned are both very good, but the Superstar is a bit easier to fly & also a bit physically tougher.

You might get into this as well -- it is very serious fun.

Regards & good luck
Old 10-31-2004, 07:25 PM
echobot

Hillary,

If you looking for something your husband can play with that won't cost you a lot of money, try one of these from Walmart:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=1617279
Old 10-31-2004, 07:29 PM
MikeEast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The guys are right. The reason they are saying hwat they are is that if you invest in a cheap throwaway setup you will definitely be disappointed. They dont fly well and they will only leave you disappointed and wondering why you wasted the money. At the very least do what they have recommended and get a legitimate setup like the Avistar RTF or even the Nexstar RTF. They are really inexpensive in the RC airplane world but fly well and will give you a legitimate look at RC airplane flying to see if its something you really want to do. You should be able to get into the air for about $300-400 ready to fly....

HEY, heres another thought for your situation. If you have a good computer ( say >600mb pentium 2 processor, 128M graphics acelerator card which most late model PCs have) get him a good computer flight simulator. There are 2 I really like Ikarus Aerofly Pro from www.hobby-lobby.com is my personal favorite. Also you can get real flight G2 from www.towerhobbies.com. It is an EXCELLENT way to decide if you want to learn to really fly and you can get either for <$200 and as these guys will tell you they are an absolute blast. Just be sure that you get the TRANSMITTER and necessary cables if you get AFP, to me it is a lot more realistic. They are not a computer game. They give you a totally realistic feel for flying RC airplanes. If you can takeoff, fly and land on the simulator you are all but a couple of instructional flights from being able to fly the real thing... Just a thought. If you are serious, call the guys from those two websites and they will make sure that your computer will run it and that you have everything you need in the way of hardware.

Mike
Old 10-31-2004, 08:01 PM
mars

Well, my wife got me my frist plane and we learned some lessons from it. What I really needed for my frist plane was a SIG Kadet lt-40. They come in ARF and kit forms. Of course like Minn says getting help is where its at. I could have saved myself hundreds of dollars had I done that from the start.
I dont think I would spend the money again without a instructor. But the SIG Kadets fly great, of course there are alot of trianer style planes out there.
Is he a builder type person? If so he's like me and would love the kit building process.
My .02 cents hope it helps.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:46 PM
MikeEast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Sig LT40 TO ME is definitely the cream of the crop in trainers. May cost you a little more money but they are really great flying planes and they will allow you to learn to fly a true tranier and then transition into a fun flying plane that will do most basic aerobatics. Thing is you have to select radio transmitter, servos and some basic electronic hardware if you go that route. This forum will help your hubby get setup with ease and at a minimum of cost should you choose to go that route. Still the RTF setups are the easiest and cheapest ways to get into the hobby.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:32 PM
LuckyArmpit

From what has been suggested is fine. Alot depends on where he can fly at. I will mention electric here as opposed to gas (I fly both and am in no way particular to one or another). Electrics can be flown at the local park or your yard if you have the space.
I have two suggestions....A GWS Slow stick or a T-52. The slow stick can be found at numerous hobby shops and the T-52 from JK Aerotech www.jkaerotech.com
Each of these have to be built but, its not really difficult. The T-52 was the first plane I ever built. Just follow directions.
Then, your gonna need servos, radio system, batteries and battery charger. The total $$$ for these items is cheaper than that of a gas plane.
super stick.....35
2 hs-55 servos....40 to 50
motor/prop etc...comes with plane
batt pack for flight.....15
speed control...........20
rx................50
tx................50

So you got about 200 or so.....
whatever you get him, I also suggest getting an instructor from the local club. If he likes flying like I do, in the almost 4 years I've been in the hobby, all your extra space is taken up by planes. I have over 30 models that are flyable, 3 in building stages and 5 that I haven't opened the box yet!!!

Dave...
Old 10-31-2004, 10:31 PM
Rebellion

The club suggestion these guys are offering you is good advice. I know, I did it the hard way on my own until recently. If you think electric might be the way you want to go, check with [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/]Hobby Lobby International[/link]. Go to the beginners section and take a look around. The [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/easystar.htm]Easy Star[/link] and [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/tipsy.htm]Tipsy[/link] are known to be good beginners planes. You can call these people and they will be quite helpful with any questions you may have.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:38 PM
Rebellion

Geez guys, don't we ALL wish we had a lady like this!
Old 11-01-2004, 08:59 AM
hbburchett

Thanks guys you have really given me some good advice, I am going to look into all of your suggestions and I will let you know how it turns out!!! And yes my husband is a very lucky man!!!!!

Hillary
Old 11-01-2004, 11:43 AM
pauluk2w
My Feedback: (7)

If money is an issue and you do not want to pay for a plane all at once you could get the hobbico nexstar from tower hobbies. tower still do the 3 pay method which makes it a bit easier to spread the cost over 3 month. if you visit a club there maybe a member at the club that may have a trainer that he/she is selling
good luck
paul
Old 11-01-2004, 03:08 PM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: hbburchett

And yes my husband is a very lucky man!!!!!

Hillary
Well, he can't be THAT lucky, he lives in Texas! [sm=lol.gif]
Old 11-01-2004, 03:47 PM
hbburchett

That is so funny! But don't you know the most beautiful women live in Texas????
Old 11-01-2004, 03:53 PM
Semi Retired Aviator

Are they the ones with the beautiful BIG .......err....brown eyes???
Old 11-01-2004, 04:24 PM
hbburchett

Big..............green eyes and bond hair!
Old 11-01-2004, 05:19 PM
DBCherry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But don't you know the most beautiful women live in Texas????
I'm not so sure Hillary. Have you seen pictures of Mike's (MinnFlyer) daughter? Yikes! [X(]

You're husband's a lucky man in any case.
Dennis-
Old 11-01-2004, 10:26 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dump him and move to NC You can save time choosing what to give me and just go to the LHS and pay my tab. I promise to be satisfied

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.