Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Home-made starter???

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Home-made starter???

Old 12-15-2004, 07:13 AM
BuzzAerodrome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home-made starter???

Don't tell my girlfriend but I've spent our rent money on fuel....ok, maybe not but I'm trying to keep my costs down. Has anyone here made their own starter?
I have a powerful 18V hand drill (with a conveniently-placed guard to protect my fingers from the prop); if I can fabricate a balanced adapter with appropriate rubber thingy, will it start my Gold Cup.61. Opinions?
Old 12-15-2004, 07:41 AM
quint-rcu
My Feedback: (24)

Default RE: Home-made starter???

Yes, I have used my cordless drill as a self-contained starter. Purchased a drive cone/insert from Tower Hobbies and spun away on my 4 strokers.

quint
Old 12-15-2004, 08:46 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

What your doing was done in the very old days and evovled into the nice handheld starters today. Its also ergonomically easier to hold. Probably cheaper and safer to go with the modern Technology
Old 12-15-2004, 09:25 AM
Crashem

Yes its called a chicken stick
Old 12-15-2004, 09:41 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

I've seen some pretty interesting(and apparently successful) starters made from an old 540 size buggy motor, a prop adapter, and a pvc endcap filled with silicone. That ought to get your gears turning...
Old 12-15-2004, 12:17 PM
smedsky

It will probably work on a properly tuned engine, but the revs are only 1/4 that of a starter and could lead to some frustration.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:00 PM
vinnie
My Feedback: (1)

A trip in the WayBack machine will take you to the local junkyard for a 12V starter and a windshield washer pump for fuel. [8D]
Old 12-15-2004, 04:25 PM
jagnweiner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buzz-

A starter is only 20 bucks at Tower Hobbies. I would just get a real starter and not waste your time or money on devising your own. I applaud your ingenuity, but think it could probably be better applied.

-Scott
Old 12-15-2004, 05:10 PM
Fastsky

I have seen some drills converted to starters at the field. They worked but by watching them I am sure that they don't work nearly as well as a standard starter and they didn't seem to be able to turn the engines over very fast. As someone pointed out you can buy a TH starter for $20.00. I have the Hobbico TorqMaster 90 which I bought years ago. Its only $7.00 more and I found out that it has enough jam to start gas engines when other flyers field batteries went dead![8D]
Old 12-16-2004, 04:38 AM
BuzzAerodrome

Thanks Jagnweiner for your comments. You're probably right - my ingenuity could be better applied on other things....working on a safe automobile hydrogen fuel cell for the developing world, designing inexpensive water filtration systems for poor countries, a rethink of beaurocratic/government structure and method of overhaul so we get more for our tax dollar without having to slash away some of the things that hold our communities together.....I could be doing these things with my time,

but like the rest of you I choose to fly sticks around in circles! And cuban-8's.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:52 AM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Some of us prefer low passes....

Andy
Old 12-16-2004, 07:31 AM
aimmaintenance

I've seen a few guys using homemade self designed starters.
Usually after one season (if that), they are ordering a starter from tower or buying a used one from someone.
If you have the opportunity, talk to the guys flying BIG planes. Most of these guys will have one of the 20 buck starters at home in a box. They are a great starter they just won't hardly turn the big engines so alot of these guys will have upgraded to a better starter and their old one is just layin around. If they don't just give ya the starter it prob won't cost ya more than 10 bucks.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:26 PM
smokingcrater

My torqmaster 90 won't even turn over my 25cc gas, but the heavy duty tower hobbies one does it with ease, and would probably start a much larger gas engine. great starter and the heavy duty very only costs a couple bucks more, and is still cheap.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:42 PM
Fastsky

My Torquemaster 90 turns over 25 cc gas engines surprizing fast. I do have a seperate 8 AH battery for it so that may make a difference. [8D]