Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Best introductory aerobatic/3d plane

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.
View Poll Results: A poll
U-Can-Do 60
31.82%
Sig Four Star 60
50.00%
Goldberg Tiger 60
18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Best introductory aerobatic/3d plane

Old 02-26-2005, 12:17 AM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best introductory aerobatic/3d plane

I have been stuck on the UCD for a while (and almost bought it), but have been second guessing it after some reading opinions of it. It sounds like it is a great flyer, but the "high speed flutter" has got me a little worried. I have heard the Sig is a good plane, but haven't heard much about the Tiger. I want a plane that can perform 3d manouvers as well as being a relatively easy flyer, while not having to worry about it going down if i go a little too fast. But I am also not looking for a speed racer!! If you own or have owned one of these planes, please offer up some of your opinions!
Old 02-26-2005, 01:45 AM
rcdude37

Default RE: Best introductory aerobatic/3d plane

well the way it sounds to me you want too much out of one plane!
4* good for limited aerobatics, speed and is a great plane to just fly
UCD capible of 3d, 3d planes aren't ment to fly fast, just torque
tiger, never looked into it.
now my question to you, how much experience do you have, is this your second or third plane?
Old 02-26-2005, 02:06 AM
Cogburn

rcdude is right the 4* and the ucd are meant to do different things. The 4* and Tiger are aerobatic trainers that fly on 'the wing' and are not really 3d capable. 3d planes require large control surfaces to 'vector' the thrust of the engine in stalled flight(hover). This makes them prone to flutter from high speed flight. They all fly good it just depends on what you want to do. None of them are speedsters. The tiger is probably the speediest and the 4* has probably the widest speed range. The ucd does alot of things as long as you don't go real fast.
Old 02-26-2005, 01:11 PM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

this will be my third plane...trainer...high wing tail dragger, now this

how fast is too fast with the UCD? i guess i am looking for an all around good plane to learn aerobatics on.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:56 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the SIG 4*, Tiger II or World Models Rambler. Any of these will do very nicely for a low wing aerobatic trainer. None of these are designed to do 3D.

A plane designed for 3D has very large control surfaces.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:57 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fast and 3D does not mix ... pure 3D planes cannot go fast as they will flutter. Fast planes cannot 3D well as the control surfaces are small and wings are just designed differently. Try the TT Spirit 3D ... its brilliant, much better than the Magic or Magic Extra. How fast is too fast? I would say 80% to 100% throttle on prolonged level flight. Its will tend to cause flutter.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:57 PM
smokingcrater

how fast is too fast with the UCD? i guess i am looking for an all around good plane to learn aerobatics on.
on your average setup, 1/2 throttle max for level flight, less for downlines. you usually don't get any warning that you are going to fast either, other then the walk out to pick up the parts afterwards...

how about a sig SE or twister? very similar planes, but they are somewhat capable at mild 3d, but handle speed much better and are great knock around planes.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:18 PM
rlipsett

I like the ohio model products yak for 3d It is a good solid plane capable to 3d, Is very strong and I have abused it with speed on occasions without any ill effects but then I don't push it too hard and the prop is a 13 x 4w which doesn't scream excessive speed either. the only damage I have ever done was to break a servo gear when it was idling on the ground and the wind picked it up and flipped it over on its tail. This plane though is for after you learn basic aerobatics with something like a 4 * or a tiger2. The yak will do anything you want but you can't let it get ahead of you especially on high rates because it does not easily forgive mistakes but it loves to get you out of bad situations when you are low to the ground. If you can point it in a clear direction just punch itand take your hands off the sticks it can fly a straight line from any gyration aslong it has full throttle. I screwed up an approach and was flipped over pointing straight down at 5 feet and the airplane gods saw fit for my hands to be able to flip the plane end over end and point the nose towards some clear sky and when I punched it, it was beauty
Old 03-09-2005, 08:13 AM
Cyberace87777
My Feedback: (4)

i like the u can do myself. if your worried about flutter just watch your throttle managment. if your not real good at working the thottle use a low pitch prop that will help
Old 03-09-2005, 10:19 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You missed some good planes to look at. The something extra will teach you a ton about aerobatics, 3D and it is stable. The great planes sportster 60 is an all around great pattern type bird that will do limited 3D depending on your power. There are a ton of other ones too. The SE might just be the best all around bird for your next plane. It has no bad tendancies.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:35 AM
BlenderBender

Tack on 3/4" of elevator and rudder to the 4* and it will hover...waterfall...flat spin....blender....very well I might add.

John
Old 03-09-2005, 02:20 PM
Zafer

Acromaster 3D. It is a 3D trainer model from Kyosho / Hype.

www.mhm-modellmotoren.de/acromaster3d.htm

Regards.

Zafer
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73889.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	241090