Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Questions before I fly my Stryker

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Questions before I fly my Stryker

Old 03-07-2005, 07:24 PM
Zephyranthes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions before I fly my Stryker

I jsut got my Stryker, after getting the hang of an Aerobird Challenger? Are there any reinforcing things I can do to it before I fly? Is it me or does it seem like the prop hits the ground when it lands? How much tape should I put on the nose so it won't snap other things off with it? Should I start out with a 7.2v battery from the Challenger before I go with the stock 8.4v?And last question, what's the exact technique for launching it?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...2/DCP_0294.jpg
Old 03-07-2005, 07:56 PM
LuckyArmpit

Default RE: Questions before I fly my Stryker

I have a Stryker. And, its much much different than an aerobird. It will fly faster and be very easy to get it out of control.
I fly mine with 8 cell Kan packs. Full throttle on all the time. Of course, I've been flying for quite awhile and am used to flying
delta wings. I'd say, keep some packing tape and glue handy. Leave the elevons on low rates. Don't worry about the prop on
the back. Pushers don't break props like conventional motor setups. Make sure you launch it into the wind with a straight firm toss.
Hope you have good luck with it!

Dave...
Old 03-07-2005, 11:14 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. It's pretty well reinforced from the factory. Adding more reinforcement, will, in my opinion. lead to channelling all impact force to whatever you don't reinforce; besides, this plane is pretty dang durable.

2. Don't worry about the prop, as Dave said, prop breakage isn't much of an issue on pushers like this.

3. Use the stock stickers and tape to attach the nose. Believe me, it's better to have the tape let go and have the nose pop off intact, then you can just retape it.

4. No. The strkyer will be very anemic on the six cell pack from the aerobird. Use the stock 8.4v battery.

5. Set the elevons with a slight 'up' trim, give it full throttle, and a strong toss at a slight upward(maybe about 10°) angle. Until this plane gains airspeed, it drops like a stone. Once the plane is 'on step' and accelerating, slide the elevon trim back to neutral. Despite the speed needed on launch, the styker glides very well, so plan your landing ahead of time to ensure you have enough room.

6. I second Dave's suggestion to leave the transmitter on low rates for the first few flights. Not only will the stryker not self-correct, but you will find it requires a different turning technique than the aerobird, in that you bank it into the turn and give 'up' elevon to bring it around. It's not that different, but it does take some acclimation.

7. You should think about adding some brightly colored trim to the plane to aid in orientation. Deltas are hard to keep oriented in the air, and some red or orange on the wingtips or vertical fins will give a good visual cue what direction the plane is travelling.

Good luck!
Old 03-08-2005, 09:58 AM
Zephyranthes

I hear the motor mount is weak. How do I strengthen that?

I'm trying to learn on this trainer. You can download a Stryker for it. Is this pretty accurate on performance?
http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/
Old 03-08-2005, 11:18 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't comment on the simulator, but I really would not worry about the motor mount. It is plenty strong for the plane.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:48 AM
LuckyArmpit

What you can do on the motor mount is just add a little clear packing tape. Really not needed though unless you crash a bunch of times.
As a side note: the battery that comes with it is a 7 cell nimh pack. You will not reap the power and longetivity of this pack until its been charged/discharged about 5 times. So, your first flight might feel a little sluggish. Mine flies pretty good with the 7 cell pack.
Better still with an 8 cell pack. Remember, this bird is gonna be more difficult to fly than the aerobird. That is until you get used to it.

Dave...
Old 03-09-2005, 07:28 PM
Zephyranthes

Where exatcly do I reinforce it?

How about using the 6 cell for starters?

I have a discharger. Should I just charge and discharge it a few times?

I'm getting the hang of the stryker on the simulator, but I have no idea if this is how it really acts. Like I can climb up to 200 meters straight up until it can't push anymore. It is definitely different than the Aerobird, which is also downloadable for the sim.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:06 PM
LuckyArmpit

You can reinforce around where the mount is held on foam. Yeah, I would charge/discharge a few times. Watch how you discharge though in that your not drawing alot of amps. Stick with the 7 cell pack. If you put in the 6 cell pack, it may need more weight in the front because you will thow the CG off. Plus, you will only be giving the motor only 7.2 volts which I believe not enough for the motor.
In essence, it won't have the thrust to propel the plane upon launch. And, since being 6 cells, the plane could be tail heavy thus really making difficult to control even for an expert pilot.
There are a whole slew of guys putting on brushless motors on the Stryker. Makes it hideously fast!!!!

Dave...
Old 03-14-2005, 01:32 PM
carper

Zephyranthes - I am just like you and had the same questions when I got my Stryler last week. I felt that I should tape the nose on better but when I called one of the Aerobird tecs they told me not to tape the nose on any more that what they indicated in the instructions due to when you do crash and hit the nose the nose will absorb most of the impact and should come off because of this. If the nose is taped on it will tear off the front of the fuselage. Also they did indicate that I should use the 7 cell battery that came with the Stryker. If later on you decide to go to the 8 cell battery you will have to also buy a new charger. The charger that came with the plane will not charge the 8 cell up fully. The last sentence in the instruction manual where they list the parts does indicate that you must use another charger and the one that they recommend cost $99.00. The 8 cell does give you more power but it does not give you more running time so I decided that ninety nine dollars would buy a lot of the 7 cell. Drop me a note to tell me how your flights have been. CARPER