Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Beginer P51 D

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Beginer P51 D

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 09:31 PM
protron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginer P51 D

hey ive been into the rc hobbies since i was 5.
i have had a total of 15 minutes flying time on a trainer plane.
My father had introduced me to the hobby.
My father has many planes, engines, parts, kits and etc.
I want a plane for myself. one i can fly alone without my dad watching over me.
Currently we have a avistar trainer plane. my father had put it together himself. we didnt fly it yet but still i want my own airplane.
I have had the experince of putting together a boat 7 years ago, and currently (last year) ive put toghter a guillow kit togther, a p51 mustang. It looks swell. Im in the learning stage of the hobby. i needed to know the motor size for it (.049) what parts to buy how to cover etc. im making the p51 electric.

the plane i want to break the flying skillz:

[link=http://www.giantscaleplanes.com/P-51D-Mustang%2050/P-51D-M_50.htm]P-51D-Mustang 50 ARF[/link]
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEFJ4**&P=0]Futaba 4YF 4-Channel FM/4 S3004 Servos[/link]
[link=http://www.keleo-creations.com/Mustang3/100satman.htm]Saito 100 P-51 Exhaust System[/link]
any ideas for a motor? i dont know which would be the best for the airplane and for the exhuast... any recommendations? 2 stroke - 4stroke?

is there anything else i need for my plane?

Old 03-09-2005, 09:39 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Beginer P51 D

just to be straight..... you want to learn to fly on a P-51?????????????
Old 03-09-2005, 09:45 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

just to be straight..... you want to learn to fly on a P-51?????????????
That's the same that I took from it too.

Proton,
Take this advice, learn on the Avistar that your dad has. Leave the P-51 for your 3rd or 4th plane (at least). You'll need a lot of good stick time before you're ready for it. The P-51 is a fast and very maneuverable plane, and isn't very forgiving on mistakes. Learning to fly on this plane would be like taking a NASCAR stock car for you drivers test.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:47 PM
protron

k that just hit me in the head...

i just wanted a plane to fly after training...

maybe ill get my micro plane flying
Old 03-09-2005, 10:20 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

just take your time.....it will be cheaper in the long run

learn on a trainer... we all did..... once you fly a bit you may want something different....

before I started flying...it was trainer, low wing trainer, then Corsair.....

once I started flying my trainer,,, and flew it MANY times..... i went to a low winger, then a spad, then IMAC style planes.....

just enjoy the flying and take your time...
trainers can do quite a bit in the air,,,
Old 03-09-2005, 10:25 PM
zachj1212

park zone is coming out with a RTF P 51 mustang in june. its got ailirons, elevator and throttle. go to www.parkzone.com
Old 03-09-2005, 10:54 PM
Fastsky

Most park flyers are fairly small, slow, and underpowered compared to glow planes and can't handle much wind. Once you get used to the Avistar I think you will be surprized at what it will do and you won't want to go to a small electric. [8D]
Old 03-09-2005, 11:09 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The GWS P51 is really nice but its very scale like, pull too much elevator and it WILL snap on you. Hence, the only P51 that you might be able to handle soon is the TT Lazy Tiger, even then probably a second plane after you have mastered the trainer.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:12 PM
rjm1982

i want to get into a corsair as soon as possible (bah-bah blacksheep!!!) ... but im still on my nexstar...and just finished the wings of my 4*60...so im taking my time, i figure i will fly a corasair in a year....
Old 03-10-2005, 12:52 AM
protron

ye ive been browsing the internet and tower hoobies..
i been thinking about the avistar too...
i think ill buy this p51
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXM388&P=0]House Of Balsa 1/12 Scale P-51D Mustang Kit .051-10,36"[/link]
its a kit
i think id have plenty of training time while i put this together. plus my father has a nice os .10 motor.
[link=http://[link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEFJ4**&P=0[/link]]futaba 4yf 4 channel fm 4 servos[/link]

i will also order all the misc things i need for kit

total cost of my frist expense is
$198

what do you guys think now?
Old 03-10-2005, 01:40 AM
forestroke

protron - you can consider the ACE simple series p-51 as well. they are easy to put together and fairly durable. but as everyone has mentioned, it is not a good plane to train on.

i have the thunder tiger lazy tiger that tIANci mentioned and it is a great second plane. it is slow and stable with a very generous wing loading. my only complaint is that it is legally-blind-scale.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31337.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	241526  
Old 03-10-2005, 01:59 AM
warhwk
My Feedback: (3)

This is a troll right? I'm not biting.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:00 AM
forestroke

warhk, what do you mean "troll"? you think protron is a troll? <confused>
Old 03-10-2005, 05:25 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Troll - small creatures which are ugly and nasty, not to be confused with Gremlins as trolls do not cause problems on machinery etc.

Trolling - fishing term, get a nice fishing rod, go out to sea on an expensive boat, attach a plastic thingy with a big hook to the end of the line, let the line out and hope to get a fish.

Hehehe ...

What nonsense is this that you will fly a P51 in a years time?! If you fly a lot, like me when I started it was EVERY MORNING, you will be able to fly one in like 4-6 months. You do not need a year k!!!
Old 03-10-2005, 09:53 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Troll = A person who intentionally posts ridiculous statements in forums like "I want to learn on a P-51" just to see how many people are fooled by his "Lure" and "Bite".

I don't think protron is a troll, Just a rookie.

Protron, go over to the "Crash" forum and have a look at what happens to balsa that comes in contact with the earth because someone thought that flying is easy.

Then, get yourself a trainer and TRY to fly that. Sure, you may have some experience, and you may know how to control a plane, but there are skills that you need to hone by practicing over and over. Without these skills you are just an accident waiting to happen.

After a trainer, get an intermediate trainer. After that you start to consider a P-51

Think of it as a video game... Ever try a new video game and beat it the first time out? And a video game gives you 3 chances per Quarter. Lose 3 times, drop in another Quarter.

With Flying, you only get to make ONE mistake, and another try costs a LOT more than a Quarter!
Old 03-10-2005, 08:15 PM
olstoney
My Feedback: (19)

Mike,

Well said bro, the advise doesn't get any better that that[sm=thumbup.gif]!!
Old 03-10-2005, 09:01 PM
forestroke

lol... okay... i thought this thread was going to get ugly with name throwing and mud slinging :-)
Old 03-10-2005, 09:05 PM
ELTIGRE

ALL the P-51 kits/models out there are not the same as has been stated. park flyers are a special situation.some of the "fun scale" ie; old jemco/marks models/ Midwest series are easy enough once you have a low winger under your belt. there are quite a few others but as indicated its a fighter & should be flown with that in mind. it isnt any harder than the others but has a tendency to over shoot unless you geta good idle or use flaps.otherwise it doesnt seem to have any bad habits . now the Corsair............ personally id choose the Skyraider -easier build & better behaved.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:27 PM
3D-Kid

Hey Proton take it from a kid my age... im only 14 and I fly with my dad at a club. I learned on a Trainer. Me and my pops have flown only that when we had the chance. Dont let others get you down. Ive been flying for 5 years now alls I fly is giant scale planes. I got a Brand new H9 Cap 1/3 scale sitting in my basement ready to fly this summer. I do think that your approach into a P-51 Mustang is a BIG step. (like said, its like taking a Stock car for your driving test.) Maybe something better for you to look into is a Superstick which I belive H9 makes. Its a little more areobatic and quick and less expense. Now just wait a few years when you get into Gas planes....OHHH man your gonna get bit by the bug!!! Ask anyone. Your gonna sell all your glow powered planes and go all out gas. [8D]

Joe
Old 06-16-2005, 09:33 PM
forestroke

i second the skyraider... but it's not the scale masters winner you were aiming for (mustang with keleo P-51 muffler ) but it'll get you going.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:47 PM
YNOT

AFter all the time you are putting in that Gillows P-51, you are nuts to want to fly it. Hang that puppy in your room and I promise, you will thank yourself for doing it for many many years to come. I built the P-38 and there is NO WAY I would consider flying that plane. I look at it now, 20+ years later and still sould not consider flying it.

Buy that Parkzone P-51. IT ROCKS and if you have 15 minutes of stick time, you can fly the Parkzone P-51.

I know, there are people right now saying "you can't learn on a P-51"

I say to you, someone can learn on THIS P-51. Its light, well construted, has a high and low rate and it top quality gear.

And its fast! I was highly surprised of how fast it is and blown away of how well it flew. Point and shoot airplane.

I am not going to say that this bird will make you a full R/C pilot, however all you have to do is bank and yank the plane. It doesn't drop the inside wing when you yank on it. kinda like a trainer.

Hang the Gillows, buy the Parkzone. And those HOB P-51's are a handfull. Compared to the current generation of electric planes, those HOB planes are BRICKS and land like one too.