Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

finally see what they were talking about

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

finally see what they were talking about

Old 05-17-2005, 06:55 AM
knightmagic
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default finally see what they were talking about

Was able to fly finally with tiger 2 after my nexstar so much of a difference in planes I an totally satisfied with tiger
Old 05-17-2005, 07:14 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: finally see what they were talking about

ORIGINAL: knightmagic

Was able to fly finally with tiger 2 after my nexstar so much of a difference in planes I an totally satisfied with tiger
Now a totally new world has just opened up for you. Congrats.

Just a quick question, did you do the maiden on it and if so tell us about it?

What may be a benefit to all of the other new pilots is how you see the differences and what you like/dislike about them. Just a thought.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:43 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm curious about Bubba's questions too.

And I agree that the Tiger is one of the all-time greats!
Old 05-17-2005, 08:11 AM
CGRetired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, Minn.. I went from the NexSTAR to the Tiger 60 and it was a great tranisition. The maiden was done by the "club pro" last fall which was uneventful.. minor trim and off she went. I buddy-boxed with him for two or three flights so I could get the low-wing handling and landing, and have flown it pretty much as a steady since then, sort of alternting between that and the Midwest Aerobat of late.

Tigers are very nice flyers, both the Tiger II and Tiger 60.

Old 05-17-2005, 08:42 AM
shakes268

I moved to my Tiger 2 from a Nexstar also. I did not do the maiden on it however the instructors basically said I needed to maiden my H-9 Miss America myself (which was supposed to happen on Sunday but due to winds and the reversed aileron servos on the tiger didn't happen).

A few things I noticed

1) Much faster plane in all aspects.

2) The plane has a small amount of dihedral so it still rights itself although VERY slightly

3) Can still fly very slow but does require some speed to land. Don't land it like the trainer - use shorter approaches so you don't lose as much speed and keep about 5 clicks of throttle in up until you're a few feet from the runway (at least at my field with a single turn approach)

4) When banking for a turn if you start to drop reduce the angle of the bank - my trainer didn't drop in turns but the Tiger did when I first started flying it

5) When inverted it requires so little down elevator that I had to add down elevator expo to keep from going into a climb.

6) When landing, the plane gets into a "ground effect" and will pull itself down soooo sweet with just a little flair.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:14 PM
knightmagic

did not do madien on it instructors wanted me to get use to plane before cutting me loose but won't be long just so much of a difference can hardly believe it thinks its easier to fly than nexstar.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:00 PM
Pilot Chad

How much faster is it?

How much faster does it react?

Does it roll quicker?

I am going to have my four star up sooner or later and wanted to know since they are almost the same. Note: I said ALMOST
Old 05-17-2005, 07:20 PM
knightmagic

not too much faster have a os 46 ax on tiger and can fly almost on 1/4 throttle
Old 05-17-2005, 11:22 PM
shakes268

Answers below

ORIGINAL: Pilot Chad

How much faster is it?

Mine seemed to be quite a bit faster but the plane does fly very slow when you want. It's a fly slow like a trainer or a speed demon depending on how you fly it.

How much faster does it react?

I started flying my Tiger 2 on low rates and was very scared of high rates. On low rates it was MUCH more touchy than the Nexstar but unlike the Nexstar it did exactly what you told it to do. At the point I switched, I felt like I was fighting the Nexstar to fly it.

Does it roll quicker?
On low rates it is quicker but the major thing is it doesn't have that trainer "flop" when it rolls. The first and second half of the roll are the same speed. Also when letting off the sticks, the plane won't level itself like a trainer. YOU have to level it out.

I am going to have my four star up sooner or later and wanted to know since they are almost the same. Note: I said ALMOST
Old 05-17-2005, 11:28 PM
campbec

Isn't it great to fly something that "goes where you point it"?

Have fun,

Colin
Old 05-17-2005, 11:32 PM
shakes268

Knightmagic,
Did you build it as a tail dragger or is it the trike gear right now? I crashed mine this past weekend from a stupid mistake of not reversing the aileron servos so it's being repaired. From my crash, it's an extremely sturdy plane. It will also spoil you on landings! Congratulations on the flight with the new bird!! I flew my trainer today while the Tiger is in the med center - someone mentioned "This is just the perfect day for flying". My thought was "Not really, it would be perfect if I was flying my Tiger".
Old 05-18-2005, 05:36 AM
knightmagic

mine is built with teike gear will probably go to taildragger for next place which sad to say I'm already looking at LOL
Old 05-18-2005, 06:26 AM
samolot
My Feedback: (14)

There is a real shock when coming of the trainer, especially for me. Im still on the traienr, but im just soloing around looking around to try peoples planes in the club. Once my instructor flew his mustang, and he told me that i should hold on for the transmitter for a while. When i flew it, i realised that it was much more stable in the wind then my trainer, the turns were smooth as ice. Landings a bit harder, broke the prop, but thats due to the tail dragger style it was built with, unlike my trike trainer.

Good job.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:21 AM
Fastsky

Once you get used to low wings, trainers are a pain to fly, especially in windy conditions. [8D]
Old 05-18-2005, 10:44 AM
MinnFlyer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Fastsky

Once you get used to low wings, trainers are a pain to fly, especially in windy conditions. [8D]
It depends on how you look at it. On a really windy day, a trainer can be a blast to fly!

I wouldn't recommend it for newbies though
Old 05-18-2005, 10:53 AM
Fastsky

Depends on the trainer and how windy. I was training new guy when the wind whipped up strong. I had to use 1/2 throttle to get the plane to keep from going backwards and almost full down elevator to get it to come down. That doesn't happen on my low wings! And like you said, not recomended for newbies.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:44 AM
bruce88123

Not all high wings are trainers either. My Great Planes Fun One is quite a performer. Picked up the kit cheap on EBAY after watching a fellow club member fly his. With all the rates on high the snaps are down right violent. FUN!!
Old 05-18-2005, 01:21 PM
Mindwarp

It depends on how you look at it. On a really windy day, a trainer can be a blast to fly!
Some of the best fun I've had with my LT-40 has been on my father-in-law's farm in Iowa. There's about a two hundred yard long line of 50' tall poplars planted to shield the farm from the wind. When I fly there I can take the LT-40 up over those trees and just hang it in the air on the updraft

Landing's always entertaining too in those conditions, but more along the lines of 'spread betting on the final laundry bill.'
Old 05-18-2005, 03:02 PM
britbrat

I absolutely love flying my Superstar hot rods in high winds. They are taildraggers with no dihedral, so ground handling isn't much of a prob in the wind. You can hover them in the wind, fly backwards, do vertical landings & vertical take-offs if there is enougfh wind. Lots of fun. It is super cool to see one hovering inverted at 5 or 6' over the runway (as long as the wind doesn't switch off).
Old 05-18-2005, 04:04 PM
Mindwarp

It is super cool to see one hovering inverted at 5 or 6' over the runway (as long as the wind doesn't switch off).
Been there, done that, dropped the 4' vertical [8D]