Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

GWS A10 for beginners?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

GWS A10 for beginners?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 01:29 PM
Todd_J
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS A10 for beginners?

Hi All,

I've got slope soarer stick time from days gone buy, and I'm looking at getting into ParkFlyers. would the GWS A10 with the 55 motors be too much bird?
Old 07-06-2005, 01:50 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: GWS A10 for beginners?

How many of dem dar days have gone buy? I don't know much about the A10. I think I recall seeing some less than complimentary comments, but I could be confused. I do know I've seen positive comments about learning with the Slow Stick or the E-Starter.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:13 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm guessing the A-10 wouldn't be a good choice. From what I know of most of the GWS "scale" planes, they tend to be a bit under-powered with their stock motor/gearbox set ups. I'd agree with the Slow Stick and E-Starter though.

One of their others like the Cub or Tiger Moth are decent flying planes as they come out of the box. These are smaller and require micro equipment however. So if you plan on moving up to bigger planes, you'd have to re-purchase servos and receiver.
Dennis-
Old 07-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Todd_J

The new version with the 5 props and the EDF55 motor is supposed to be sufficiently powered - a shortcoming that was corrected from the earlier 3 prop EDF50 versions. So I'm not too worried about that aspect of the kit.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:27 PM
Pilot Chad

Todd j,
Where do you fly?
Old 07-06-2005, 05:35 PM
Todd_J

I see your in Madison, AL. I live out in Monrovia. I'm looking to fly out in front of my house, and a buddy of mine flys over behind the Research Park area on nice days.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:30 AM
LuckyArmpit

The A-10 wouldn't be a good choice. I'd get a slow stik instead. What you could do is replace the stock motors with the Feigao (SP?)
brushless motors and use lipoly 3S packs. The A-10 was notoriously underpowered. Even with the newer 55 motors, its still slightly underpowered.

Dave...
Old 07-08-2005, 10:34 AM
Todd_J

I guess I'm missing something here.

If the plane (even with the EDF55 motors) are underpowered, why would underpowering not be a good thing for a "park flyer" that you desire to be a slow flyer anyways? I mean certainly the designers of the kit have done a fairly descent job in the designing of the kit (yes they had to go back and incresase the power of it using the newer motors), but being slightly underpowered should make for a good slow flying park flyer, yes/no ???
Old 07-08-2005, 12:36 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have flown the A10, its easy flying for me but its not for beginner, you will be much better off with the E Starter. The one I flew was the pusher. I got the new DF (5 blade) one but still in the box. The DF is pretty powerful, a decent amount of thrust.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:11 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

would the GWS A10 with the 55 motors be too much bird?
Short answer: Yes

Long answer(and why):
It's not all that underpowered, and not real slow, but it does have a tendency to abruptly stall, especially in high banked turns, regardless of power. Another thing I noticed while flying a friend's A-10 (with th 55's) is that it doesn't absorb impact very well. Other than that, it's a nice little plane for an experienced flier-very scale like in the air, handles nice if you know what to expect. I think what everybody is saying by "underpowered", is actually it's not grossly overpowered like the majority of the arfs out there(glo or electric). with the A-10, you can't just mash the throttle up to get out of a bad situation, you gotta drop the nose and build airspeed-just like the real deal. These are just my observations during about 10 minutes of flight time on someone else's wartyhog, and based from other experiences. I could be wrong... but I doubt it.

I second Chuck's comments about the E-starter and slow stick - they will stay flyable and survive pretty much anything a begginer can throw at them. (flown these too) [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 07-08-2005, 05:14 PM
LuckyArmpit

Actually, underpowered for a new pilot would be bad because the tendency would be to give too much elevator thus stalling the wing.
Yes its good to fly a bit on the slow side until one gets used to the plane but too slow would result in a foam or balsa massacre.
I remember when I first started flying. Almost wore the sticks out on the first flight from over correcting. An unintentional knife edge
at stall speed wouldn't be a pretty thing.

Dave...
Old 07-16-2005, 08:39 PM
bartenational

Just got the new GWS a10, with the new motors,
set it up like the write up in Flying models magazine.
basiclly no landing gear, and thrust deflectors. 730mah nimh 8.4v batteries.

I couldn't get the thing to fly ten feet!!

I hand launched it level at full throttle.
the plane would glide about ten feet and slowly slide into the grass.

I followed all the instructions, and built it slowly to get it right
but it just didn't have enough speed built up to gain altitude.

I took the battery out and flew my GWS beaver all around with no problem.
so the batteries were strong and holding a good charge.

my guess is I didn't have enough momentum to gain altitude.

so tommorow I am going to install the landing gear and take off from the ground.
that way I can build up enough speed, maybe I could start at the top of a hill also!!

Any other suggestions? (besides buy brushless moter and lipo batteries)
Old 07-16-2005, 08:47 PM
Pilot Chad

Todd j,
If you still read this, You need to come visit RCRC. When you see some glow planes you will want to go to the hobby shop and hand over your card. Come out on a weekend and watch. Also, Look for a loser with a plane that looks like it was made out of a box.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:49 PM
Todd_J

Have you got the A10 in the air yet?

I had seen the write-up in the Flying Mag too, and was planning on building one accordingly.

I did get the Slow Stick and am working out the trim, balance and controls. I figure that once I get some more experience on the Slow Stick I'll move on to the A10.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:28 PM
jessh1969
My Feedback: (1)

Todd,
I did what you are thinking about doing....I started with the A-10, the older version anyway. It was underpowered. The thing is, you have to give it a good hard hand launch and not try to climb or turn until you have built up speed. It takes it a good long run to get there. If you are impatient, you will stall low and slow, and it WILL come apart. Now, I am not saying you can't do it, just that you have to be very aware of managing altitude and airspeed. As to how it actaully flies...it was very stable, fun, etc. It is very good looking camoed up. Also, be careful with the CG...I would probably even err on the side of nose heavy because you will not have the power to "power out" of the trouble a tail-heavy plane will get into. It glides well when balanced. I would leave the wheels off as they aren't scale anyway, and the additional drag just slows it down that much more.

Jess
Old 07-20-2005, 07:10 AM
martno1fan

hi mate from what ive seen and heard about the a 10 its not very good for a beginer try the e starter from what ive seen this is an exellent plane!.as for the gws planes not having enough power thats rubbish too they all have plenty you just need to make sure the motors are run in.to do this take out the motor put it in a glass of water connect to an aa cell and let it run!.it should then be run in,then the battery will need charging and cycled a few times before you see optimum performance!!.the best motor gear box combination is the 350 size motor with c gearing not the 400 size!!.also the motor can be moved into any of the other gws planes if you fancy moving onto something more exiting such as the spitfire!!! which is by far the best of the gws planes!!but im biased.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:14 AM
martno1fan

another plane ive seen which you might like is the f18 from 3d foamy he has a kit available from some stores its a 3d pusher prop jet that some use for ducted fan conversion!!.look up the threads on here they also do plans for free to build it yourself!!.it flies great and it should be ok for a beginner too.it flies dead slow or super fast depending on the set up!!.i downloaded the plans and theyre great,ive not built it yet but it looks a piece of cake!!.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:18 AM
martno1fan

try a lipo battery with the motors you have!!,they wont last as long but theyre cheap enough to buy !!.youll get a few hours out of them say 12 hrs or so which isnt bad!!.