Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Help how to set up vtail airplane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Help how to set up vtail airplane

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 12:52 AM
nuspeed88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help how to set up vtail airplane

Can some one help me how V-tail works on airplane? I’m confused on how ruddervators moves.

this wold be my first V-tail airplane And I dont have any how to set this up

Great planes Viper 500 with .25 so fix.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:56 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Help how to set up vtail airplane

There are two fuselage servos (one to each ruddavator.

When up is applied both surfaces go up together.
When down is applied both surfaces go down together
when right rudder is applied the right side will go down and the left side will go up
When left rudder is applied the right side will go up and left side will go down

Its easy to visulize how this works by looking at the surfaces from behind the airplane and you will see how the rudder application as listed above will function just like a conventional tail.

With any Q500 the mixing is accomplished within the tx and it must be V tail capable. The exact procedure will vary with the model Tx. and which ruddavator servos will plug into which rx port. There are older mechanical ways to do it but are not practical for Q500's nor are mechancal mixers quite precise enough for that airplane. There are also aftermarket external electronic mixers that work fine but agine are not practical for Q500's due to very limited room particularly if you are using standard size servos and battery.

Most any Q500 will make a nice sport plane with a .25 on it. Keep in mind Quickees are not taxied like others and the easiest procedure for takeoff is to have someone hold the airplane in position with you directly behind it. As you run up the engine and he releases on your signal only after the engine is fully spooled up. Slow throttle up takeoffs with a Quickee will result in many broken props and frustration. On the same token all landings should be done deadstick, shutting off up high and simply circling to a landing. Easy with the engine off but with an idling engine it will agine result in a lot of frustration, running off the end and broken props.

Another suggestion is do not mount the engine upright but instead sideway with the muffler down. Due to the small 21/4 square inch firewall with an upright engine it will not be able to consistantly draw fuel under flight loads (lots of flameouts). Also the muffler will provide nose over protection and don,t laugh it is also used for a brake on asphalt surfaces.

Just for the record since this is the beginners forum These airplanes while easy to fly are in no way trainers and not what you would call a first or second airplane.

John

Team Geriatric, Racing

By the way with your .25 FX, two excellent props that work well with that airframe and engine are the APC 9.25 X 5.5 and the APC 9.25 X 6.0 These are narrow blade pylon specific props not the regular C-2 sport series props. Avaliable direct from Landing products (APC) and not expensive.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:10 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

If you don't have a computer radio, there is a small mechanical mixer available. Its cheap and works well.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:23 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Or you can make your own
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99071.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	294953  
Old 07-08-2005, 11:59 AM
AlexF

Be sure to keep it nice and light -- Q500s are fairly difficult to land (and this thread is in the Beginner's forum so..) Don't worry about it too much -- just be prepared to go around a few times when you're too high, rather than trying to force it down or making your turn onto final with too little airspeed. Starting out a bit nose heavy helps too (I think 2 1/4" or so; not too noseheavy or it won't flare)

If you have a lot of trouble overshooting the runway (have I ever been there), you can try killing the motor a bit before you make the runway.

All that said, quickies are a blast to fly, and you've set youself up with lots of room to grow because you have the option of putting a .40 or more on it later on