Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

"Learning" to fly all over again...

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

"Learning" to fly all over again...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 03:02 PM
tychoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Learning" to fly all over again...

Well, not quite but a humbling experience. After having flown for over a year now and on my 4th plane I can fly the sportsman pattern, do a pretty good knife edge, spins etc., however I just realized a couple of weeks back that I always perform rolls in the same direction i.e. for me a right roll.

When I tried to do any maneuver that requires a roll (or half of one) to the left I was like a beginner again. The maneuvers looked horrible and I felt completely out of control.

So, now it's back to the basics and I'm practicing doing rolls to the left.....[]

I figured I better be able to perform the basic maneuvers in both directions before I try even more advanced ones.

-tychoc
Old 07-18-2005, 03:11 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: "Learning" to fly all over again...

It seems to be more natural to do rolls to the right because it is more natural to pull the stick than it is to push it. Even back when I did full scale aerobatics I had to concentrate harder to do left rolling maneuvers. (Ail Rolls, snaps, etc) Even rt rudder was more natural in full scale but left rudder is more natural to me in R/C (pulling again). Just need more practice.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:32 PM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Ok, Bruce...I'll admit it.

I'm as confused as can be about your post.

How are you translating right and left control inputs into a push or pull motion? In what way is moving the right hand stick to the right a 'pull' vs a 'push'??

[sm=confused.gif]
Old 07-18-2005, 04:42 PM
bruce88123

PUSHING OR PULLING TO ONE SIDE OR THE OTHER SINCE YOUR RIGHT HAND IS BASICALLY ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE RADIO. pardon the caps, forgot to downshift.

Place your right hand on the transmitter while holding it (assuming no tx tray) and it is sort of a pulling (to the right) motion with the thumb as opposed to pushing to the left. We were talking about the aileron not the elevator, remember. That is an entirely different push/pull where again I find pulling (UP) easier. None are hard by any means, just a question of a minor degree.

Understand what I poorly stated before?

If using a tray and/or a pinch grip a lot of this is probably moot but I don't use a tray and most of my friends don't and I just use my thumb unlike some who pinch. But that is another whole argument I don't care to get involved in.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:43 PM
jagnweiner
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: gboulton

Ok, Bruce...I'll admit it.

I'm as confused as can be about your post.

How are you translating right and left control inputs into a push or pull motion? In what way is moving the right hand stick to the right a 'pull' vs a 'push'??

[sm=confused.gif]
Let me see if I can guess what Bruce was saying. Many people fly holding the transmitter in their hands with their hands to the side of the transmitter and their thumbs resting on the sticks (although some use trays and hold the sticks betwen thumb and index finger). Because we have opposable thumbs, if you move your right thumb to the right, it is "closing" toward the hand and is sort of like "pulling." If you are moving the same thumb to the left, it is opening or "pushing."

To me, the former seems more natural than the latter as I'm sitting here at my desk. Strangely, though, when I'm flying it seems more natural to roll left, regardless of what I'm doing with my thumb. I guess I'm just odd.

-Scott
Old 07-18-2005, 04:43 PM
shakes268

With the thumb a pull would be the thumb moving toward the inside of the hand and the fingers. A push would be away from the fingers and the hand. There is more of a sensation of push pull on left to right motions when flying with the thumb more so than with the thumb and forefinger.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:53 PM
bruce88123

jagnweiner - you and Shakes both have the idea of what I was trying to say but I'm not trying to say anybody is odd if they disagree. Whatever works for you best - do it. I don't care if you want to hold the TX behind your back as long as you have control. Some planes roll better one way than the other and you will often instinctively start making your rolls in that direction because they just look better, easier than fixing the plane or correcting your skills.

I hope all are happy now.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:44 PM
Chevalier

Props spin counter clock-wise so the most planes roll slightly better to the right.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:31 AM
jagnweiner

Bruce-

You, Shakes & I all posted within seconds of each other. I was responding to your first post and hadn't seen the second. I certainly wasn't disagreeing with what you were saying and was never "unhappy". When I said I was trying to "guess" what you were saying, I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't clear. I just thought I would explain it in different terms. I probably should have just kept my trap shut.

-Scott
Old 07-19-2005, 07:35 AM
bruce88123

You said and did nothing wrong and I was never the least bit upset. Still RCU buddies IMO. Speak up any time you feel the urge. This is how we all learn here.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:37 AM
jagnweiner

RCU buddies for life!
Old 07-19-2005, 08:36 AM
GRANT ED

I'm the same. I find it easier to do circuits to the left than the right. I find it easier to roll to the left and when doing knife edge for me its easier to roll 90 degrees to the left and hold it.
Flying my heli I found it easy to do left hand slow turns but had real difficulty doing it to the right, particularly as it started to face toward me. Don't know why, just the way it is.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:48 AM
bruce88123

GRANT ED - In your case it is probably because you are below the equater. Same reason your toilet water flushes swirl in the opposite direction ya know.
Oh heck, who knows. It's just one of those things about how everyone does things different I guess, like being right handed or left handed.
As I said before, whatever works.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:55 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Ok, that makes sense now. Thanks for the clarification.

Also explains why I was confused...as I fly with thumb and forefinger on both control sticks, so left/right never seemed like a push/pull thing to me. *heh*

As bruce said...doesn't make one method right or wrong, so long as control of the aircraft is maintained.