Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Need advice for a friends first plane

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Need advice for a friends first plane

Old 08-21-2005, 03:23 AM
essixx
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice for a friends first plane

Hello Everyone. I need some advice. I have a friend that I let fly my LT-40 on a buddy-box. He did VERY well for a first timer. He caught one quickly how to control the plane as it was coming toward him, flew the circuit as instructed, was gentle with the sticks, and banked well in the turns while keeping his altitude. He even did respectable loops and rolls. He is now hooked! We will soon add a new member to our hobby! He wants to get his own equipment and has asked my advice on what to get for a plane. I'm not sure what to recommend to him. I think he will advance so quick, that a plane like the LT-40 will soon leave him wanting more performance. I would be happy to let him train with my LT-40 and let him skip the expense of his first plane and use his money on a second plane like an Ultra Stick. I thought about an Avistar RTF, since I owned one and it is capable of more than the LT-40. I really didn't trust the way the wing halves were joined together with the little strap and screws.
What do you think? Suggest getting a Trainer type plane or get a good second type plane? And which plane would you recommend?
Thanks!!
Old 08-21-2005, 06:28 AM
planenut1965
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Need advice for a friends first plane

Well the first thing if you have a avistar and you did not glue the wing half togather you are going to lose it soon. i dont care what hobbico says glue the wings and the tail and then you have a good plane. I think he would like the avistar it is a good flying plane and will do some of the basic stuff. A stick plane will make a good plane after he gets use to flying for some time. let him fly your trainer and get him a stick plane put him on the boddy box and let him fly the stick plane some you mite find he can handle the stick plane just as good as the trainer.
Just my two cents if it counts for anything.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:47 PM
Sarges_heroes2003
My Feedback: (6)

tower hobbies trainer RTF 250 buxs and my instructor can fly one in circules around my lt-40. I kinda wish I bought one instead of the lt.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:13 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The goldberg Falcon will give him a great platform to learn, yet be more advanced when he is ready for aerobatics. Best trainer for someone who picks it up fast.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:48 AM
SENZA

How about this as a first plane it has a slight dihedral and unlike the ultra stick its got looks?Had i seen this before my ultra stick it would have been my choice.stick a OS46 on it and it would be a blast!

Heres a link [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=164]Midwest Aerobat[/link]
Old 08-22-2005, 12:41 PM
Flyboy76
My Feedback: (14)

The Arrow by Hangar - 9 is an Aerobatic trainer that would be a good planefor him or the Hangar - 9 p-51 trainer if you are going to let him learn on your plane. Either one of those would be good i would think,

Geoff
Old 08-22-2005, 01:02 PM
mrbass111

i agree with flyboy!!!
Old 08-22-2005, 01:40 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

as Senza said check out the Midwest Aerobat, it's one fine machine. I had mine out today and flew the crap out of it for 2 flights then turned around and used it for a trainer for 1 flight. The last flight of the day was all slow stuff and touch and go's, lot's of fun. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 08-22-2005, 02:08 PM
skater_719
My Feedback: (4)

i would personally say avistar because it grows with you more.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:16 PM
kiswa
My Feedback: (4)

I'd say an aerobatic trainer. That's what my trainer is. I bought the Megatech Nitro Capitol Flyer (people generally don't seem to care for it much, but it's been fine for me). My instructor let me fly his Tiger II at a fun fly, and that was my first time flying. He said that since I did so well, a basic trainer would bore me quickly and recommended I buy an aerobatic trainer. I'd recommend the same here. The choice of aerobatic trainer is up to you and your friend, of course.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:19 AM
SoonerAce
My Feedback: (1)

let him progress with a Modified LT 40,,,,,,,,
OS 61 SF with a 13x4 prop! just my 2 cents,,, lol
Old 08-23-2005, 01:56 AM
essixx

Thank you all very much for the responses! Some of the planes mentioned, I had no idea they existed. The club I belong to has about 160 members between two flying fields and it seems the trainer type aircraft tend to swing toward the LT-40, Avistar, Sig Rascal and the Kadet Sr. The responses have been an eye opener for me because it has shown me there are other possibilities. We do have our share of performance aircraft like the Extra, Edge, Mustang, Corsair, Shrike and Whiplash. The Whiplash is mine with a Jett 50. Kinda funny, most people land their planes when I bring it to the flight line. I've never understood why. LOL.
Thanks for letting me know its acceptable to not have a trainer as your first plane.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:34 AM
forestroke

ORIGINAL: essixx
Thanks for letting me know its acceptable to not have a trainer as your first plane.
let's not get presumptuous. his first plane is still a trainer, your LT-40!

if you think he's going to outgrow the plane soon, maybe the best bet is to think two steps ahead. i always say this because the trainer ARF itself isn't going to be the majority of the cost of the plane. if you think he's going to take on the hobby in a big way, i'd suggest he look at what type of plane he's going to be flying in the future. 15, 30, 40, 60 class planes are all different. if he has his eye on a 60 class acrobat or warbird and he's on a budget, it might be better to get a larger trainer and save on having to buy another one and instead of a 4 channel budget radio, maybe a 6 or 7 channel one.

when i started several years ago i bought a good engine and a 6 channel computer radio that i still use today. if i had bought a rtf package, i'd have spent more on the radio and the engine. but now i fly a lot of 30 class planes because my new car is smaller... so now if i could restart, i'd go for a 30 class trainer.

so given what i said, if he flies your LT-40 as his first plane, his second plane could be a low wing trainer building up to something like a scale or a acrobatic plane... plan ahead and he'll do fine.

actually why not sell him your plane for starters?

just my 2 cents
Old 08-23-2005, 08:27 AM
Fastsky

Lots of choices until you narrow it down to things such as 40 size or 60 size and ARF or kit. A few great inexpensive ARFs are from World Models such as a Super Sports or a sport scale war bird like the T34. A Goldberg Tiger 2 comes in ARF or kit versions and is a good size for visibility. A bit smaller 40 size sport scale that flys easy is the Midwest Messerschmitt Kit .40-.46,54". [8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23739.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	313952  
Old 08-23-2005, 05:07 PM
Saberwing0

[:@][][:'(][X(][&:][8D][8D][:'(][][:-][X(][&o][][:'(][:'(][&:][&:][8D][:'(][>:][&o][:@]
Old 08-23-2005, 05:08 PM
Saberwing0

oops sorry guys my little brother found this up and started typing random stuff[&o] I`m really sorry [&o]
Old 08-23-2005, 07:40 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a comment: The Midwest Messerschmitt is a KIT, not an ARF or RTF. The plans are great but I'd hate to see someone get it thinking it was something other then a " KIT ". ENJOY !!! RED
Old 08-23-2005, 09:55 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm sorry, but a low-wing Messerschmitt 109 for a first plane is doomed.

If he's good, and it happens, I would say an Ultra Stik/Big Stik with a few sessions on the buddy box might be the way to go. Just be sure to remind him that it will fly where it is pointed. No dihedral to bail you out by releasing the stick and allowing the plane to settle out on it's own. My G.P. Big Stik flew extremely well at slow speeds. I felt it easier to land than my RCM 40 as it floated less and handled easy on low rates. I converted mine to a tail dragger and it was still a joy to take off and land. (Sadly, lost in a freak mid-air.)[sm=frown.gif]

Another plane that has good habits is the Kangke SK-50. I'd be real careful allowing a beginner to fly this off a buddy box until they had some time on it, but it doesn't do bad on low rates. It lands kind of fast (tapered wing), but he'll NEVER outgrow how it flies. Be warned, it has a huge vertical stabalizer and is a challenge to taxi in crosswinds. However, this is my best-ever winter plane on skis. It does not have the slow handling that the Big Stik does, but it is a very smooth pattern flyer (relatively high wing loading). Nice, beefy landing gear, too. Underside of the wing is a solid, dark blue. Very easy to tell orientation from the ground.

The .50 engine that Kangke sells to match this plane is the best kept secret in R/C engines today. For $49.77 you can't touch the power and performance anywhere else. I love mine.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:52 AM
forestroke

charlie - if i didn't know any better, i'd think your last name was kangke, charles kangke i've never seen this plane fly and actually have never seen this plane in person. but somehow i'm mesmerized by the way it looks. i like scale-ish planes but this plane is one that i've always been tempted to buy. something about it just rubs me the right way!
Old 08-24-2005, 07:43 AM
Fastsky

Charlie Re: "I'm sorry, but a low-wing Messerschmitt 109 for a first plane is doomed."< I was looking at a second plane for essixx's friend based on where he said: "I would be happy to let him train with my LT-40 and let him skip the expense of his first plane and use his money on a second plane like an Ultra Stick."< Having said that I have had one of the Midwest warbird kits and its a great sport scale plane. [8D]
Old 08-25-2005, 01:30 AM
essixx

I had thought about selling him my LT-40, but my wife would be upset. She has a blast flying around the circuit while on the buddy box. The idea of thinking two or three steps ahead is a good thought. I will be seeing my friend this weekend and will let him check out this thread, with all the great suggestions.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:45 AM
Fastsky

May I suggest that no matter what 2nd plane he gets, if you don't mind would you be able to buddy box the first couple of flights with him?!? The handlying differences can be pretty dramatic and take a new flyer by surprize. It would probably onlt take a few flights for your friend to get used to it but the first few minutes could be a problem if hes on hs own. The first time my son went from a trainer to a sport plane, he went into his first turn and then waited for the plane to self level which of course it never did! I had to take over and level the plane myself. After I found out what he was doing and explained that you have to fly the plane all the time, he had no problems. Without the buddy box, the plane wouldn't have lasted the first flight.[8D]
Old 08-25-2005, 08:38 PM
forestroke

in that respect, a simulator may help someone test "fly" the new plane. while i'm not that big on the simulators (i have realflight G2), it does have its benefits. you can mentally prepare yourself for a maiden by throwing off the CG, flying it out of trim and getting it comfortably on the ground. actually i do this a lot just because i think it's fun. if you know someone that has one, maybe they could lend it to him.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:04 AM
essixx

Great suggestion on the buddy box for his first flights with his second plane. I know I was thankful for my instructor to be there when I flew my Easy Sport 60. He put it in the air for me then stayed by for awhile to see how I handled it. He observed that I was comfortable with it, unplugged the buddy cord and said "You don't need me". I was grateful for his confidence in my abilities and I have GREAT respect for him.
I do have the GP flight sim. I will let him use it in his spare time. I feel it helped me to prepare for my Whiplash. I have to admit, I am excited to see him succeed. This is such a great hobby. Everyone helps each other. I thank you all for your help!!