Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Nexstar Simulator vs. Real time in the air

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Nexstar Simulator vs. Real time in the air

Old 08-25-2005, 12:19 PM
Purple Bird
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nexstar Simulator vs. Real time in the air

Hello All,

I have been practicing on the simulator (Great Planes/Nexstar edition) that came with trainer I bought for the past three weeks. Last night I finally had the opportunity to get the plane up in the air with the help of an instructor. After some tweeking there was a major difference between the simulator and actual flying that had me discouraged.

On the simulator while turning you don't need to hold the stick in the direction of the plane when you're banking around doing a turn. You just lightly give it some up elevator to maintain altitude and you're good to go. Of course you need to counteract the original movement of the aileron to come out of the turn.

Flying the actual plane last night I needed to hold the stick in the angle of the turn throughout the ENTIRE turn. With my conditioned tendency not to do so, the plane constantly kept coming out of the turn Therefore I would come out of the turn prematurely and gain altitude giving it up elevator with the stick back in the middle.

The instructor told me this was how a trainer is supposed to handle but why then is it different on the simulator? [:@] It's not the end of the world but I was hoping those properties would match. The simulator has helped in learning reverse direction which obviously is another beginning hurdle. Has anyone else out there experience this with the simulator for this plane versus the real flying?

-Brad

Old 08-25-2005, 12:25 PM
kiswa
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Nexstar Simulator vs. Real time in the air

Most trainers have so much dihedral angle in the wing that they tend to re-center themselves when you let go of the sticks. However, it's good that you got used to not having to hold the turn the whole way, because once you move up beyond the trainer most planes have no dihedral and don't require constant input to turn.

At least, that's how I understand it to be; I could be wrong.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:37 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

Don't turns require a touch of constant up elevator? Or are you referring to roll due to aileron input?
Old 08-25-2005, 12:44 PM
jsixpack1

I have a Nexstar. To me, it sounds like you were flying with the "AFS (Active Flight Stabilization)" turned on. What this does is it always wants to keep the plane straight and level. You can easily disconnect the AFS and your plane should fly like you expect it to.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:44 PM
shakes268

On your airplane do you have the AFS hooked up? Are you flying the Non-AFS plane on the sim?
If AFS is functioning on your airplane and your instructor did not turn it off it will handle like you described.

As the other guys stated, the dihedral will cause the plane to want to "right itself" to some degree requiring minor aileron correction while banking.

It's all part of learning! Don't give up and get discouraged on your first flight. Give it time, get used to it. Sims are good for 2 things really.
A) Getting your orientation down
B) Memorizing the stick movements (muscle memory) so that in the air you don't have to think about what you're doing, you just do it.

In my opinion sims are only part of the learning equation - a sim and a good instructor will definitely increase the learning speed but they need to be used together.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:46 PM
Purple Bird
My Feedback: (24)

Shakes,

Thanks for the positive repsonse. Much appreciated!!!

-Brad