Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

I FLEW THE P51 TRAINER FROM HORIZON TODAY

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

I FLEW THE P51 TRAINER FROM HORIZON TODAY

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 07:14 PM
charlie c
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I FLEW THE P51 TRAINER FROM HORIZON TODAY

HI, this is charlie c. I flew the P51 mustang trainer today. For the past 2months I have been flying a LT-40 trainer. It is slow, will float down on the runway vey slow and takes off in a very very short distance. To me The P51 is not a trainer. The engine suddenly quit I could not get it to the runway It fell much quicker and I went into the grass field at the edge of our runway. It does fly slow and I had no trouble in flying a big circle. I did not take it off, 2
different instructors flew it both of them had to play with the rudder both wing tips were scraper on the runway and it took 2-3 tries to get into the air by each one. It land much faster than my LT 40 and the instructor landed it for me. It started to rain and I did not get to try it again, will try landing next week and will report then. However If you are brand new to flying it is not like my high wing trainer.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:17 PM
shakes268

Default RE: I FLEW THE P51 TRAINER FROM HORIZON TODAY

It makes sense to me a deadstick is bad. Basically you're flying with a "air break" on of sorts. Everything on it to make it slow down will make it drop like a rock when the engine fails. It may not tip stall but its coming down as soon as you have an engine out situation.

You're not the only person reporting the ground handling is bad as well as wanting to scrape the wing tips. If you're instructors are having trouble with it on the ground that worries me. Were you flying off of grass or pavement?
Old 08-28-2005, 08:25 PM
charlie c
My Feedback: (34)

Default RE: I FLEW THE P51 TRAINER FROM HORIZON TODAY

WE HAVE A BLACKTOP RUNWAY. I think the p51 is a good second plane for some who can fly-land-and takeoff a high wing trainer with little or no problems but not a beginer first plane. charlie