Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

My beginner's plane - the Air Scout

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

My beginner's plane - the Air Scout

Old 01-20-2006, 07:29 PM
shd3920

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My beginner's plane - the Air Scout

At this site . . . http://www.hitecrcd.com/homepage/product_fs.htm ????

1]Receiver . . . . . . What does ‘Negative Shift’ mean in the description of this receiver? Is that compatible to my Futaba FM radio?

2]Servos . . . . . . But wouldn’t I want the Futaba servos, product #31055J

3]Speed controls . . . . . . Which of the speed controls listed here should I get?

4] Charger . . . . . . Is the charger they have listed here a good one for this setup?

5] Electric motor . . . . . . What is a good motor for the Mini Telemaster?

All the accessories listed at this site will work with the Mini Telemaster and the radio system I already have (listed above post)???

Thank you.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:26 AM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

1. Yes, Futaba and Hitec use negative shift, JR and some others use positive shift. There's also receivers out there that can use either, I just like the electron because it's cheap, and has always worked for me. I'm not sure I want to (or can) attempt to explain what negative or positive shift means, but basically, it's how the transmitter encodes the signal to send out, either above or below the carrier. The reciever has to look for the signal on what s received in the same place. Maybe Bruce can explain it with a little more clearly?

2. ANY servo will work, they are all now universal (they didn't use to be) except for the plugs. Older Futaba servos have a little tab on the side of the connector, which "keys" the connector so that you can only plug it in one way. If needed, you can just cut that little tab off so it will fit into the receiver. The reason I suggest using Hitec servos is price vs. quality. Futaba is very proud of their parts, and you pay a little extra for the name, IMO. There's really no difference in performance or functionality. The important thing with electrics is to keep weight at a minimum, so use the smallest servos that you can, as long as they have enough torque to do the job.

#3, 4, and 5 Are going to depend on each other, based on what setup you choose. For a charger, get one that will do everything - including the batteries in your glo planes (NiCD or NiMH), Your field box (Lead acid or gel cell), electric planes (Lipo, or NiCD). I use a pair of GP Triton chargers, one for the shop and one to take to the field with me. They are a little on the expensive side, but well worth the investment. (about $100-$110 roughly).
What motor/speed control/battery combination do the instructions for the mini-tele suggest(if any)? What is the weight and wing loading supposed to be, ready to fly?

If you look for parts on the internet, look in multiple places. Tower, Horizon, Hobby Lobby, and others have a pretty good selection and decent prices. If you have a hobby shop near by, see if they can find you a deal from thier distributors(usually they can get stuff for a lot cheaper than you can - maybe you can talk them into a "sale" )
Old 01-21-2006, 02:34 PM
shd3920

Well, enough with the electric Mini Telemaster. Afterall this thread is about the Air Scout. I will be posting the Mini Telemaster's build at a future date in the 'kit building' forum, ken and bruce prob never go to that forum, so I only hope the members there help me with the help I KNOW I will need just like ken and bruce and you others helped me here in 'beginners'.

Well, I did say enough with the telemaster didn't I ?
cwrr5, I just went back to the earlier post you did earlier regarding the tiger pilot you showed (post 62)
Looks just like mine (EXACTLY)
Coincidence huh

You still plan on making a second wing for your Air Scout with ailerons? I'd love to follow that post!!!
Old 01-21-2006, 03:02 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Tigerdude,
Actually, Bruce and I are in the kit building forum almost as much as in here. You'll find that most of those experienced modelers in the beginner's forum will hang out in the kit building forum too.

Ken
Old 01-22-2006, 08:51 AM
cwrr5

Yep, A wing with ailerons is coming up soon, but I have to build a new one for my Texan first.

It Flies!!! (actually last weekend - I forgot to post)
I ran about 4 tank fulls through on the ground to start break-in, then took it out in a pretty stiff, quartering cross-wind. I had some problems keeping it straight through the takeoff roll, but it got up ok. It's actually a pretty fast, smooth little flyer with a .25 in the nose. First flight, I never used more than half throttle(even on takeoff) With the throws I have on the elevator and rudder, it does nice BIG loops, and will do a barrel roll/rudder roll with no problem. Hammer-heads are really nice, and it's got the power to use all of the airspace, doing nice, big, aerobatics. I didn't try any spins or inverted flight yet... maybe next time. Engine quit on the first flight, and landing was a non-event, except that I was too far down-wind, and had to walk a ways to retrieve it(new engine) The "second maiden" flight was really nice, and I got the trim set up a little better. I needed just about two clicks up, and two clicks right rudder for hands-off straight&level flight. Had a nice long flight on the second one, and it didn't quit. The idle isn't quite tweaked right yet, but good enough to taxi back after landing.

My wife took some pictures, but I had the plane way up high for most of that flight and she didn't zoom in the camera in on it, so there's not much to see except lots of blue sky, with a little dot in the middle. I'll try for better pictures next time.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:53 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Tigerdude,
Actually, Bruce and I are in the kit building forum almost as much as in here. You'll find that most of those experienced modelers in the beginner's forum will hang out in the kit building forum too.

Ken
Actually, I "Go" there a lot. I just don't "post" there a lot. Mostly read and learn too. We are all in a constant state of learning, trust me on that too.

Many people there are smarter than me on building too. As Clint Eastwood said in one of his Dirty Harry movies "A man has to know his limitations".

That doesn't mean a dog can't learn new tricks though.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:13 AM
cwrr5

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Tigerdude,

Ken
Actually, I "Go" there a lot. I just don't "post" there a lot. Mostly read and learn too. We are all in a constant state of learning, trust me on that too.

Many people there are smarter than me on building too. As Clint Eastwood said in one of his Dirty Harry movies "A man has to know his limitations".

That doesn't mean a dog can't learn new tricks though.
All true - me too. [8D]
Old 04-09-2006, 12:50 PM
cwrr5

Anything new Tigerdude? Got yours flying yet?
Old 04-09-2006, 03:30 PM
shd3920

No cwrr5 sorry to say it is back in the cellar after having difficulty with the covering process [:@].

I have since completed my LT-40 and Mini Telemaster and have again brought my Falcon III from the cellar to complete that.

I will consider bringing the Air Scout back into production soon. How is yours flying cwrr5?
Old 05-03-2006, 01:07 PM
cwrr5

Well, last time I flew it March, just fine. Still haven't added the rest of the trim scheme, but I will when I get back from the desert in June(ish).

About 30 total flights on it so far.

Flying a small electric helicopter over here - learning to fly all over again!