Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

WOW! Another Sig Somethin Extra Build

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

WOW! Another Sig Somethin Extra Build

Old 04-13-2006, 12:49 PM
MasterAlex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WOW! Another Sig Somethin Extra Build

Rather than create a new message, I thought I'd add to the thread. Hopefully that sits well with everyone...

Anyway, back on page 6 of this thread, there was some discussion about modifying the tail wheel assembly. Well, I have purchased a sullivan tail wheel assembly [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=001067986&I=LXFV47&P=K]Tower Link[/link] and now have a few questions regarding how to install...

I took a picture so you can all see what I am talking about.

1) This is the hard point doubler. Someone (I believe it was Steve Campbell), indicated that this piece should be replaced with Aircraft Ply. What exactly is that?

2) There's a blind nut that is installed in the bottom of the fuselage here. It is used for the Tail Wires that support the Tail Feathers. The Sullivan unit is going to cover this - as you can see smack in the middle of the tail wheel assembly. As luck would have it, this does not lineup with one of the 4 holes in the tail wheel assembly. So my questions are:

a) Should I lineup the support hole with one of the holes in the tail assembly so the tail wires can be installed through the tail wheel assembly?

b) Doing this will move the assembly forward/back and no longer be aligned with the hingeline of the Rudder - presumably this is not good.

c) If I need to keep the assembly aligned to the hingeline, should I install the tailwheel assembly using the 2 outter holes to secure to the fuselage and enlarge the 2 inner holes so they "uncover" the blind nut for the tail wires?

d) Is there some other - easier way?

3) As you can see the tail wheel assembly has a triangular shape. The Tail Wires connect to the bottom of the fuselage and are screwed into the blind nut (referenced in #2). With the tail assembly in place, it seems to me that the connection of the tail wires is going to be sloppy and require a much longer bolt. Am I better off removing the portion of the Assembly outlined in #3? I'd think not ... but I am trying to anticipate attaching the wires to that triangular piece and feel that may be nasty too. What do you guys think?

Appreciate the advice!

-MA

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11776.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	444687  
Old 04-13-2006, 12:56 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

MasterAlex,
Don't cut the plastic on the tailwheel, the part that you indicated to cut gives strength to the tailwheel assembly. If you can wait until this evening when I get home I will take a picture of how I mounted the Sullivan tailwheel on both of my SSE's

Ken
Old 04-13-2006, 02:13 PM
tuwood

Here's what I did. I dremel'd out a small groove on the underside of the sullivan mount that allowed me to leave the wires in their stock position. I've got about 40 flights with a few rough landings & everything seems to be holding up good.

I'd wait to see how RCKen did his because he knows a lot more about this stuff than I do.

Name:	Om32778.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	444738  
Old 04-13-2006, 03:01 PM
MasterAlex

ORIGINAL: RCKen

MasterAlex,
Don't cut the plastic on the tailwheel, the part that you indicated to cut gives strength to the tailwheel assembly. If you can wait until this evening when I get home I will take a picture of how I mounted the Sullivan tailwheel on both of my SSE's

Ken
Absolutely Ken! Thanks. Taking a page from your book, I am simply planning this and have not reached this step in the build. I just started the fuselage ...

I look forward to seeing how you tackled.

-MA
Old 04-13-2006, 03:05 PM
MasterAlex

ORIGINAL: tuwood

Here's what I did. I dremel'd out a small groove on the underside of the sullivan mount that allowed me to leave the wires in their stock position. I've got about 40 flights with a few rough landings & everything seems to be holding up good.

I'd wait to see how RCKen did his because he knows a lot more about this stuff than I do.
Ahaa! [sm=idea.gif]

I see you installed the tailwheel OVER the Tail Wires.

Like you, I am anxious to see how Ken tackled.

-MA
Old 04-13-2006, 05:21 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Heck, you don't need me at all. Tuwood has the same solution that I did on mine. Cut a very small channel in the bottom of the Sullivan tailwheel so that the clevis of the flying wires can go underneath of the tailwheel. Then when you bolt down the tailwheel put one bolt through the two clevises to secure them.

As far as the tail of the plane. I put in two layers of lite ply in the tail (see diagram). I didn't use the blind nuts that came with the tail wheel because if they ever came loose in the tail of the plane there is no way to get back in there to fix them. What I did instead was to drill a small pilot hole in the lite ply and then used a wood screw to cut threads in the wood. Then use thin CA to harden the threads in the wood.

Hope this helps

Ken

Name:	Pn35225.jpg
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	444819   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66943.jpg
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	444820   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18436.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	444821   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke91422.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	444822  
Old 04-13-2006, 09:12 PM
MasterAlex

That helps a great deal! Thanks Ken!!

-MA
Old 10-16-2007, 06:28 PM
richx1

Thread Resurection!

It's been awhile and I had some other life events that took me out of RC alltogether for the last year and a half.

I am however back and I need to update my thread here... which as my RC life was also put on hold abruptly.

When I get a moment I'll take pictures to show where the build is... Luckly when I stored it I managed to get it into a safe spot... only a little repair has been needed to get me back to the place I was at.

Here's to getting back into the swing of things!
Old 10-16-2007, 08:03 PM
richx1

As promised here are the update pictures.

A few overall shots of the project as it stands now. I chose base colors of Red/White to work with. I had covered the control surfaces and the bottom of 1 wing so far.

I also fuel proofed the cowling and started to "try" to cover it... from my memory and current inspection... I think I need to start over.

A few issues I came across while inspecting the frame was the mating of the cowling to the fuse seems to be a but rough.

I also had to repair a break in the TE sheet on the top of the right wing. Needs a little more sanding to smooth it out... I believe 3 fills was enough to hide the issue.

There was also minor hangar rash that I was about to manage with small filler passes.

As i get back into the seat on this project I find myself with a few questions:

1. How to cover the cowling?
2. Do I need to revisit the joining of the cowling to the fuse?

Thanks for any help!

Name:	Zx72124.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	784400   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10378.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	784401   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75924.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	784402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys50100.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	784403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc39594.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	784404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ul79259.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	784405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Su36271.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	784406   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt68268.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	784407  

Old 10-17-2007, 05:24 AM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

Your cowl is pretty much the same shape as mine. I've got some pics (as well as a complete build...) in the following thread.
Not sure if you can see clearly in the pics, but from the color scheme, you can get an idea of how to cover. The trick is to go slowly,
use several pieces, lots of heat and stretching, and LOTS of patience. In your case, I'd do the top, bottom, front, and then sides -
each with a separate piece. I did nine entirely with a trim iron - mostly on high heat.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3631402]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3631402[/link]
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3638232]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3638232[/link]

Good luck and keep us posted of your progress.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:59 AM
MasterAlex

Welcome back Richx1!

I love this plane! Can't wait to see your rendition, especially with the cowl.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:33 AM
richx1

Thanks for the reference pictures Krossk. I remember your bird being an inspiration to me for my cowling. And thanks for the welcome back.

Last night I removed the single piece that was already on the cowling and cleaned up the mess and resanded. I will probably attack the cowling after I cover some more of the plane. Especially since I will have some lines that will need to transfer from the fuse to the cowling.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:35 AM
richx1

Time for an update.

I have looked back over the thread and remember what I wanted the covering to look like... however I think that is a bit too busy now for a flyer like this. So I went ahead and simplified it and started with the wings. I plan to use the kit's included graphics to put "Somethin'" and "Extra" on each wing top. Also.

The wing bottoms are plain white... but I plan to put together the original idea of a large checkerboard pattern... maybe on the scale of 4" squares.... we'll see.

Question: Should I use something like trim solvent to secure the edges of the covering where the white blue and red connect?

More updates to come...

Name:	Us55228.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	785277  
Old 10-18-2007, 04:55 AM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

Nice scheme - not too complicated, yet quite eye-catching - should look great.

Trim solvent certainly wouldn't hurt anything, but isn't really necessary if you've secured the edges well with an iron.
It's also useless unless you are using Monokote as the stuff has no affect on Ultracote.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:35 AM
richx1

Yeah. I'm all monokote.

My thoughts are looking around the white pin stripe between the red and blue... it has an edge exposed to the airfoil...
Old 10-22-2007, 09:04 PM
richx1

One wing done, waiting on the 2nd wing to dry the windexed checkerboard. Here's a gander at the finished wing.

Question: I am about to start covering the fuselage and am wondering the process I should start with? Stab, then bottom, then sides, then turtle and hood - working back to front? Also... I am looking at a long line pattern down the side of the fuse... is there any advice that can be offered for these long lines and getting them in place?

Name:	Sq46413.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	788375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61042.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	788376