Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

WOW! Another Sig Somethin Extra Build

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

WOW! Another Sig Somethin Extra Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 03:30 AM
richx1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WOW! Another Sig Somethin Extra Build

Onward and Upward.

Completed the right wing, less finishing sanding.

Starting to jig up the left wing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93360.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	372573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41092.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	372574  
Old 12-19-2005, 04:16 AM
Test005

Looks good.
About the J-hooks, I screwed the hooks in, then removed them. Added a drop of 5minute epoxy to the threaded hole and screwed the hooks back.
This feels really solid and took just a few minutes.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:00 AM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

ORIGINAL: richx1
Krossk enlightened me to the idea of strengthening the J-Hook mounting area on the wings with blind nuts. Here are the pictures:

You will still get some J-hook to wood contact on the W1a rib once the hook is installed, but the mounting area should be far stronger now.
Yup - that's exactly how it's done! Looking good!
Old 12-19-2005, 10:02 AM
MasterAlex

Richx1,

I like that modification you described ... planning on doing that one for my SSE. I'm missing out on something though, when you say "Use a nut and washer in combination and the J-hook can be tightened down snug", I'm having trouble mentally grasping what you mean. Must be a Monday morning !

Anyway, did you take any pictures of that particular sequence? It sure would help me visualize how to make this mod when I start mine.

Thanks!

MA
Old 12-19-2005, 10:10 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Masteralex,
I did the same thing on my first SSE. What you need to do is put a nut on the backside of the J-hook. You have to do this before you sheet the wing, otherwise you won't able to get the nut threaded on the hook. But I found out on my second SSE you don't really need to do that. The forces pulling the wings apart aren't that strong. It doesn't take much force to hold them together. In fact, I forgot to put the zip tie back in place on the J-hooks once and flew it like that. I actually was able to take off and land without losing a wing half.

Use the standard J-hook that comes with the kit. Just make sure you harden the wood you put it in with CA before you install the J-hook

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 12-19-2005, 10:16 AM
krossk

Not quite. I'm talking about using a nut as a lock nut on the J-hook. Thread the nut on the J-hook, followed by the washer. Then screw the J-hook into the blind nut in the wing and snug the and washer down against wing root. This will keep the J-hook from unscrewing from the wing. Or you could skip the lock nut and use some lock-tite.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:24 AM
richx1

Looks like krossk answered this before I could. While

I see what RCKen is saying about not neccessarily needing this much reinforcement... I find that I tend to have a heavy hand when it comes to zip ties and other tightening items... no matter how much I try to remind myself not to do so. Thus this seems good for me as a preventative mod to keep me from ripping out the j-hooks over time.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:25 AM
Test005

Are there any advantages to go through this mechanical hassle as opposed to just screw the J-hook in the wood together with some Epoxy?
I tapped the wood by first screwing the J-hook down, then unscrewed it and added a drop of standard 5min epoxy and screwed down the J-hook again...
When this had cured it felt rock solid and I see no way it'll break.

(No intention to say "my" method is better, just curious why you want to do the more time consuming;"washer, nut, blind nut" thing when it only takes a minute to add some epoxy and screw the hook into the wood)
Old 12-19-2005, 11:58 AM
krossk

ORIGINAL: Test005

Are there any advantages to go through this mechanical hassle as opposed to just screw the J-hook in the wood together with some Epoxy?
I tapped the wood by first screwing the J-hook down, then unscrewed it and added a drop of standard 5min epoxy and screwed down the J-hook again...
When this had cured it felt rock solid and I see no way it'll break.

(No intention to say "my" method is better, just curious why you want to do the more time consuming;"washer, nut, blind nut" thing when it only takes a minute to add some epoxy and screw the hook into the wood)
The J-hooks can be removed w/o destroying the surrounding wood. Overkill? Maybe, but it's clean and strong.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:37 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But why would you want to remove them?

Not dissing your idea, because it is a viable thing to do; but it falls into the category of sheeting the turtledeck, etc.... IOW, it won't hurt anything, and might even help a bit, but is not necessary.

Here's something else to consider. A lot of guys on this board (in the 3D and Giant forums) have gone absolutely psycho over weight-loss measures. Up to a point, lighter planes DO fly better, and especially on a small model like this one, extra weight builds up fast and can turn it into a pig before you know it.

I'm still debating on what engine to put in our budding new SE, for exactly this reason; weight. I want to use a 52 Surpass, but the kid will be doing most of the building and I just don't know how well I'll be able to control the normal weight-adding tendencies of beginning kit builders (too much glue, wrong kind of glue, not enough sanding, etc.) he's certain to display; despite my looking over his shoulder most of the time.

My point being, the 52 Surpass is enough power (for the way I want it to fly) at 4.5 pounds... much over that, I'd rather the .46 SF go in there.

The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to go with the KISS Principle and use the two-banger. That way we can build it bone stock; minus those miserable push rods, of course.[:'(] And we'll use the Dubro gear too. Thanks to Ross for that idea. I was about to drop $20+ on the excellent TNT gear.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:55 PM
krossk

If you're going to use the .46, you don't need additional prop clearance and the stock gear is now adequate. So now you've just overspent by about $12. [sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 12-19-2005, 02:40 PM
richx1

Since I am using a Sullivan Tail Gear, and given this is my 1st kit... should I look at a lighter main gear.

Steve now has me nervous on turning my kit into a flying brick. []
Old 12-19-2005, 05:16 PM
krossk

Since I am using a Sullivan Tail Gear, and given this is my 1st kit... should I look at a lighter main gear.

Steve now has me nervous on turning my kit into a flying brick. []
Don't worry about it - he's just playing devil's advocate and illustrating the fact that a lot of little things and lack of thinking can add up, but for what you're doing it won't be significant - just use a little common sense and don't go overboard. Unless you're flying competition or precision aerobatics, you won't notice a couple ounces one way or the other.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:32 PM
LSP972

ORIGINAL: krossk

[Don't worry about it - he's just playing devil's advocate and illustrating the fact that a lot of little things and lack of thinking can add up, but for what you're doing it won't be significant - just use a little common sense and don't go overboard. Unless you're flying competition or precision aerobatics, you won't notice a couple ounces one way or the other.

Absolutely correct. The ounce or two penalty from a Sullivan or DuBro tail wheel unit is worth its weight in dope when you consider the extreme hassle of fixing the kit-supplied tail wheel when it breaks; and it WILL break eventually.

Sorry to make you nervous, Rich; sometimes I'm too anal for my own good...
Old 12-19-2005, 05:36 PM
richx1

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

Same here... I'm using a brush and balsa squeegees to grab all the excess glue I can and then sand the surface once it's dried Totally anal here
Old 12-19-2005, 05:41 PM
krossk

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

Same here... I'm using a brush and balsa squeegees to grab all the excess glue I can and then sand the surface once it's dried Totally anal here
... and I over-analyze things to the nth degree. We all have our faults - this is where we collectively gather for checks and balances!
Old 12-19-2005, 11:18 PM
richx1

Here's a photo of the finished product on the J-Hook Mod for a better example.

Also: Ribs are coming together on the Left wing nicely.

Not sure where or in whos pictures I saw it... but someone was using a syringe to apply glue... so I purchased a small fuel syringe and modified a ball needle pump adapter and now have a steel tipped syringe applicator. So whoever is using the syringe thanks for the idea!

Name:	Nk27922.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	372985   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37684.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	372986  
Old 12-20-2005, 03:51 AM
richx1

Left Wing Ribs Laid.

I'm really liking the precision that this glue syringe is giving me.

Name:	Db85123.jpg
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	373095  
Old 12-20-2005, 06:08 AM
krossk

Here's a photo of the finished product on the J-Hook Mod for a better example.
Yep - exactly.

Not sure where or in whos pictures I saw it... but someone was using a syringe to apply glue... so I purchased a small fuel syringe and modified a ball needle pump adapter and now have a steel tipped syringe applicator. So whoever is using the syringe thanks for the idea!
Me again - You're very welcome.
I got mine from my dental hygenist. I plan to ask her where I can buy them directly. Who would have thought lthere could be a reason to look forward to going to the dentist?[sm=greedy.gif][sm=confused.gif][sm=sunsmiley.gif][sm=confused.gif]
Old 12-20-2005, 11:04 AM
richx1

ORIGINAL: krossk

Me again - You're very welcome.
I got mine from my dental hygenist. I plan to ask her where I can buy them directly. Who would have thought lthere could be a reason to look forward to going to the dentist?[sm=greedy.gif][sm=confused.gif][sm=sunsmiley.gif][sm=confused.gif]

More Importantly, I hope the hygenist is cute... gives ya 2 reasons then
Old 12-20-2005, 11:23 AM
krossk

More Importantly, I hope the hygenist is cute... gives ya 2 reasons then
Just average - I'll stick with my better half and good lead on building supplies!
(Besides, who can tell these days with all the crap they have to wear?)
Old 12-21-2005, 12:06 AM
richx1

Left LE and TE installed. Moving on to the Webbing.

Name:	Ay74357.jpg
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	373515  
Old 12-21-2005, 11:46 AM
LSP972

The glue gun idea is just about a must when using wood glue. I have a commercial unit made for this purpose that I bought at the LHS for a couple of dollars.

It requires a bit of finessing to avoid a mess; when laying up parts I have to "break" the suction each time I stop applying glue, clean off the tip, and keep the syringe tip in a mug of water to keep the tip clear.

A bit of a hassle, but well worth it to avoid wasting glue or getting it everywhere.

Which reminds me; I need to buy a fresh bottle of Elmer's. I'll be supervising a new build come Sunday evening...
Old 12-21-2005, 01:15 PM
Test005

I use the small Great Planes Pro wood glue bottle.
The small bottle is pretty handy to apply glue with and when it's empty I buy the bigger ones as refills for the small bottle.... I think this works good.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:14 PM
buzzingb
My Feedback: (2)

Looks like you are off to a good start. One thing that I want to make you aware of is the the carb fuel spray bar should be centered with tank. On this particular plane it comes around the top of the tank. This makes it very hard and almost impossible to adjust your needles for a good run throughout the tank. If you mount the engine on its side the carb will be on the centerline of the tank. It isn't as pretty like this but your engine will run much longer and better. Some will tell you that they don't have trouble and etc. but if the carb isn't on the centerline it won't be as good as it could be. I have had two of these Somethin' Extra and tried all the modifications etc. and the sideways mounted engine is worth considering. This plane is great and will handle the 61 size engine too if you like power and speed. However, it is fast with a 46 too. I prefer the 61 engine with a 13X4 prop and a little tail wait. The only plane that I have flown that preforms better than this one is the Ultra Sport from Great Planes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.