Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Nexstar solo w/o Instructor...what are my odds?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Nexstar solo w/o Instructor...what are my odds?

Old 01-11-2006, 09:42 PM
jhrober01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nexstar solo w/o Instructor...what are my odds?

What do you guys think my odds are of successfully soloing a Nexstar w/o an instructor given the following info.

I have never flown a fixed wing R/C plane.
I have limited experience flying R/C helicopters... Hovering, small circuits, etc.
I have flown full scale single engine aircraft (1000 hrs)
I do have Realflight G2 and can get the trainers off and back onto the ground successfully... most of the time ;-)

I have read a lot in this forum and and I've read "no instructor" solo success stories and not so successful stories w/ a Nexstar.
I have also used a lot of tips from this forum for setting up my Nexstar (disconnect AFS, proper balance, tighten the steering, check fuel system, blah, blah)

Soooo... what do you think my odds are??... 80-20?, 50-50?, 20-80? ...... ;-)

Opinions welcome.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:16 PM
da Rock

Default RE: Nexstar solo w/o Instructor...what are my odds?

Turn up the wind and dink around with it's direction in G2. Then get good enough that you can fly out a tank of gas every flight. And by that I mean that you wind up having to deadstick the sucker back when the engine quits.

Then remember that successfully flying a model isn't just twiddling the sticks. The first flights with the model won't be good if you don't know how to set the engine so it'll pull with strength for it's very first flight. You ain't gonna learn that from a simulator.

But go out and run the engine some. Learn how to get it started and how to take it immediately to a 4-cycle and then back to a steady, but rich 2-cycle. Then make sure it will go from idle to full without stumbling or just stopping cold. And make sure to set the idle low enough that your model will actually slow down to a slow enough speed that a beginner can actually have a prayer of landing without rekitting the model. Don't know what all that means? Haven't a clue what "slow enough" sounds like? Then your chances just went into the trash. Oh yeah, and make sure the engine will hold the idle without dying.

And you're not going to learn to setup your model's connectors etc from G2 either. Do you have the throws setup according to the model's specs? If you don't, you're dead before you start. If you've read a lot and actually got what was written and understand it completely, your chances still aren't better than 50-50.

By the way, you did mention having single engine flight time. That reduces your chances a lot. I've flown with a BUNCH of licensed pilots and to a man, they had the worst time learning to fly RC. Don't know what it is that screws them up, but screwed they are.

I figure 1 in 10

But the important thing is what you think. If you figured out everything I said and can do that successfully, and are confident, then maybe 3 in 10.

It's so very simple to find if there is an AMA field within driving distance, and getting good help is so easy, and help up front is so very worthwhile, bigtime worthwhile, that you really ought to think it over one more time.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:20 PM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

Well, I see no-one wants to touch this one,[8D] so I'll go ahead & put on my flame retartant suit.
This will be a very unpopular answer because as you know, we suggest using a qualified club Instructor, & AMA membership. Having said that, the answer to your question is yes IMHO. I think that if you put in some good time on the NexStar sim with the weather conditions just knarley, & do this untill you can put it anywhere you want at will, (without the AFS) then yes, I think you'll probably be able to fly it.

There, I said it, go ahead, Flame-On!!!![sm=punching.gif][sm=drowning.gif][sm=lol.gif]

Mark
Old 01-11-2006, 11:17 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Based on the location you've listed, you're not living in the middle of a desert with no instructors nearby. Do yourself and all the other R/C fliers in the area and get help. While it's possible that you may be able to avoid AMA and club dues by taking your new plane to the nearest soccer or baseball field, school parking lot, or whatever and trying to fly it, what happens when you crash it into someone's car, house, school building, etc? Even if you ignore the financial exposure, think of the risk you are creating of injuring another person, and the negative results a mishap created by you might inflict on all the other R/C pilots in the area. It's very easy to see local regulations banning any R/C flying coming from such an event. So, my recommendation is join a club and get an instructor.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:17 PM
tuwood

I strongly suggest (as most others) that you should find a field & instructor but if for whatever reason you have to go it alone I'll give you the same advice my instructor gave me on my Nexstar.
Obviously point it into the wind & roll the throttle on gradually until it goes to full throttle. Be careful because the plane will want to pull to the right a little & mine really wanted to nose dive on takeoff (maiden flight). Pull up gradually (don't stall it) & get it way up in the air before trying to fiddle with the trims. On your first flight do one thing & one thing only; practice slow flight because that's what you need to do in order to land.
Slow flying consists of gradually dropping the throttle & pulling back on the elevator to keep the plane level. You should be able to pull the throttle all the way to idle before the plane finally stalls. (do all this at a couple mistakes high at first)
When it comes time to land it you'll do exactly the same thing except when you drop it to idle & get close to stalling you should be flaring to touch down.
I'll be honest with you, I had over 70 flights on my foamies & probably 100+ hours on the simulator before I flew my nexstar on a buddy box & I was nervous as hell. The instructor landed it the first 7 or 8 flights & worked my confidence up to the point where I wanted to land it. I was all over the place on my first landing but did manage to land her gentle. After about 10 or 15 solo flights I now have almost no problems at all landing & grease every one (knock on wood).

Do me a favor now & go find an instructor; I don't want to drive my Nexstar to VA to attend one of it's relatives funerals.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:10 AM
shakes268

Also, don't forget that even though you may have all of your control surfaces centered - the model more than likely WILL be out of trim. Every model is different and most will need trim changes (especially if this is your first plane).

So, keep in mind that on your first flight solo with no instructor while you are struggling to just fly the plane you will need to be good enough to keep an out of trim plane in the air and trim it within the first 2-3 circuits. Why do I say first 2-3 circuits? Because if the engine is not set right and you end up having to dead stick an out of trim plane - good luck.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:27 AM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

Based on what you listed as related experience, I would normally say 50-50, but since you have 1000 hrs of full scale experience, well....that brings it down to a nearly zero-percent chance of success.

The heli experience brings it back up to 25% chance of success, assuming the heli is not a toy electric indoor heli.

Many full scale pilots fly at my field and they all agree that it is a detriment to flying R/C at first. (I wonder if my limited R/C experience will make it hard for me to learn to fly full scale planes....Mmmmm).

Good Luck!!
Old 01-12-2006, 06:55 AM
the_madgenius

jhrober01,Hopefully you have read all the above comments , and being as you are an experienced pilot with 1000 hrs to your credit , your ego will be suffering a bit , to the extent you will be thinking all this is a load of bul****t. Believe me , it isn't. When i first started into modelling, i had some 4000hrs in full scale, a lot of them doing aerobatics, and i thought this would be a walk in the park. I was so wrong. No longer are you strapped in the left hand seat, where your sub-conscience can sense through the seat of your pants ,, what the aircraft is doing. You are no longer sitting inside the aircraft looking down . You are on the ground looking up. You have to take all your skills as a pilot, put them in your logbook, and leave them in the drawer. Now you have to learn a completely new set of skills. You have to learn to fly in front of the model at all times, the concentration factor has now increased 10 times +, there is no time to analyse 'what happened then' . So to achieve these skills, you will need an instructor. That way you will still have your Nexstar in 6 months time, to teach someone else with. Although the sym is a handy tool to have, it doesn't teach you to see the model in a 3 dimensional field, flying 1000 feet away from you at an altitude of 300 feet, doing 80mile per hour. You now don't have an 8000 lb aircraft flying in a 10mph wind, you have a 5lb model flying in the same atmosphere. Things are different , but you will learn so long as you are willing to listen to your instructor , and try not to make comparisons between the full scale and the model.
Bill, the_madgenius down-under in Australia
Old 01-12-2006, 07:22 AM
rwright142

ORIGINAL: jhrober01

What do you guys think my odds are of successfully soloing a Nexstar w/o an instructor given the following info.

Opinions welcome.
Each person is different however many will tell you that having flown full scale is a detrement not an advantage. Been there. I'm a flight instructor, and with bruised ego, and a lighter wallet, taught me that. - Plus the warnings from the experts here were not heeded
If you can, get an instructor. There are things that you have to maintain on our models that you do not think of on your full scales because A&P's take care of them - toe-in for example. Sure you will be able to take care of the control surfaces, but there are a lot more to consider. I would recommend you practice your taxiing first before you take off just to make sure it tracks right.

If you do not find an instructor then we all wish you luck. I was impressed that I did not get any 'told you so's...

Old 01-12-2006, 07:33 AM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the early days no body used an instructor, and alot of peopl learned to fly. It might take a lot of rebuilding, and more money, but it can be done.

Having said that, it is a lot eaier if you have an insturctor.

I recently learned to fly a hang glider. Back in the day, nobody used an instructor when they learned. They builta glider of bamboo and plastic and went to the nearest hill and proceeded to run down. Sometimes they got in the air, sometimes they ran all the way down and never made it in the air. Sometimes they got in the air and wished they were on the ground, only to soon to find themselves on the ground in a broken pile of bamboo wrapped in plastic.

So far during my training and now even afterwards, I have not hit the ground hard enough to break anything. (myself or my glider).

You can learn anything on your own if you try hard enough, but with an instructor it will probably be easier and cheaper. Especially if all it takes is $60AMA card, and $100 or so club fees. Compare that to smashing your nexstart in the dirt for your first landing. At $500 bucks or so, that is much more. Now multiply that by the number of times you smash the plane before you learn to fly and land upright.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:43 AM
fokker20planes

jhrober01,
With all due respect, I have been in this hobby for 20 plus years and flew models at the local airport many years ago. I had many pilots and non pilots try their hand on a trainer. None of them could have successfully completed a flight without help. It took me a whole summer to solo. Put your odds on the Lottery and please find an instructor.
In all these years I knew one teen who soloed after only 5 lessons. To me that qualifies as a natural. But I believe he is the minority.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:05 AM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing is impossible, and there are many cases of people who have taught themselves. The odds are greatly stacked against you though, and your nice Plane has a very high chance of becomming a pile of sticks. Even the best instructor will not guarentee you that they will not crash your Plane, but their odds are a 100 times better than yours, and there is a very good chance your Plane will make it through the Training process and beyond. Even though the Nexstar has some aids that come with it, there is no Trainer Airplane that is designed to allow you to teach yourself. Simulators and such are great tools that will help you along the way, but not really designed to take the place of a qualiflied Instructor. It would also be irresponsible for anyone who has experience with R/C Airplanes to advise you to go it alone, because all these people who have posted before me, and myself included were new at one time, and have more than likely seen alot of people trained since, and know that it is a learning process that really needs an Instructor. If you choose to do it alone, then I wish you the best of luck, and I sincerely hope you are able to learn regardless of what I have recommended and others have, and Welcome to RCU!
Old 01-12-2006, 09:55 AM
Cisco-Kid

I have a Nexstar and am flying it succesfully now for about a month. However, I made a mistake and started with an intermediate Piper Cub. Beautiful plane, but NOT a trainer. With many hours on the RealFlight G3, I cartwheeled that beautiful plane TWICE! Now, it sits on the cieling of the garage and I pull parts off of it when I work on my Nexstar.

I used no instructor. I dang near gave up and wanted to sell everything on Ebay, but my wife talked me down and I gave it another go with a true trainer. That went much better, but it was kinda painful having an "ego writing checks my body can't cash". I wanted to be in the air, but it was frusterating not having what it takes to get me there, so I felt I was bumping around in the dark.

I am very happy with were I am now, but if I had to do it all over again, I would have hooked up with a teacher and a feild. It's been a long, painful and EXPENSIVE road. It cost me a perfectly good Graupner Piper Cub to go it alone, but I did it.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:04 AM
bryris

ORIGINAL: agexpert

Based on what you listed as related experience, I would normally say 50-50, but since you have 1000 hrs of full scale experience, well....that brings it down to a nearly zero-percent chance of success.

The heli experience brings it back up to 25% chance of success, assuming the heli is not a toy electric indoor heli.

Many full scale pilots fly at my field and they all agree that it is a detriment to flying R/C at first. (I wonder if my limited R/C experience will make it hard for me to learn to fly full scale planes....Mmmmm).

Good Luck!!
I must be in the minority. I have about 400 hours of full scale and it has helped me much more than it has hurt. In full scale, you train to know all the ins and outs of what makes a plane fly and you bring this knowledge to the rc field. Doesn't help on perspective, no doubt, but aerodynamics, it certainly helped me.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:10 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

I'm going to chime in on the side of "get an instructor". I tried to teach myself on a SPAD Debonair, and am very lucky I didn't hurt or kill someone on my first flight. After repairs, I sought out the local club. I'm now the training coordinator and an instructor. It looks so easy on the simulators, but the muscle memory just isn't there. The simulator helps, but the visual input is vastly different in real life. Once an out of trim plane leaves the runway, you must be able to react to the plane without thinking. As soon as you have to think about it, the plane will end up inverted. Since you're still pulling back too far on the elevator (and as a first time flyer, you will be), now you're going 30-40 mph nose into the dirt. Or your plane isn't really up to speed yet, and your full up elevator is putting the plane into a stall. As an inexperienced RC pilot, you're trying to pull the plane up more, not recognizing that you must push the nose down to prevent the stall. Oops, your still trying to fight the aileron trim. And the CG wasn't really right either (you thought you had it right, but the plane ended up slightly tail heavy). Now the plane pitches up wildly with every gust of wind.

Everybody reading this is either thinking "I'll be careful, that won't happen to me" or "Yep, been there done that". An instructor has the experience to help you get through that maiden flight, as well as help you get out of trouble you don't even recognize you're in.

The AMA makes allowances for a new pilot to be able to fly at least a trial flight with a qualified instructor, and at my club, we are flexible and willing to help. Joining a club will also introduce you to a group of very interesting people. The social aspects of this hobby are half the fun. You'll learn more in one hour with the instructor than you will in a week of reading here on RCU.

Can you learn on your own? Yes. But why?

Brad
Old 01-12-2006, 03:57 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the smartest thing was join my club the guys were super helpful in the triming of my plane, as it wasn't flight ready out of the box catching any little things I missed in assembly and making sure that my NEXTAR RTF passed radio check. in my case I had to rerought the antena out of the fuse to get the proper reception something I wouldn't have caught I was so ampt up to fly the plane. after a 20 yr lay off there was alot I had forgotten after about 5 to 7 assisted flights ie: someone taking off and landing, I soloed again and havn't looked back since . the advice in RCU has and contiues to be invaluable to me . I have gotten the warbird bug but the nextar still comes out for a little fun flying its a easy plane to fly once you get used to it after you take the flaps and wing adds off it flys fairly fast for a trainer good luck.
P.s join the AMA the insurance is worth the cost and you get a magazine out of it to.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:17 PM
britbrat

ORIGINAL: bryris

I must be in the minority. I have about 400 hours of full scale and it has helped me much more than it has hurt. In full scale, you train to know all the ins and outs of what makes a plane fly and you bring this knowledge to the rc field. Doesn't help on perspective, no doubt, but aerodynamics, it certainly helped me.
You may be in a minority group here with full-scale qualifications, but hardly an insignificant minority -- lots of us have hundreds &/or thousands of full-scale hrs. Knowledge of aerodynamics is knowledge of areodynamics -- we knew what the sticks did & knew why a plane did what it did -- but we still had to learn how to fly the nasty little critters from the outside. The odds of a successfull unsupervised first flight are every bit as bad for full scale pilots as they are for non-pilots.

One of my absolutely worst students was a Herc pilot who "knew how airplanes fly". Eventually his ego shrank to normal size & he then learned how to fly a model. Like most FS pilots, his subsrequent progress was accelerated -- but getting over that first hump was tough for him.

In my experience, it is the little video-game brats who have a real edge.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:24 PM
mwarren400

ORIGINAL: shakes268

Also, don't forget that even though you may have all of your control surfaces centered - the model more than likely WILL be out of trim. Every model is different and most will need trim changes (especially if this is your first plane).

So, keep in mind that on your first flight solo with no instructor while you are struggling to just fly the plane you will need to be good enough to keep an out of trim plane in the air and trim it within the first 2-3 circuits. Why do I say first 2-3 circuits? Because if the engine is not set right and you end up having to dead stick an out of trim plane - good luck.

SHAKES you are SOOOO right!!! You are the only one that mentioned trim too...which is scary. I can do some serious 3D with my Funtana....however, after getting a new radio I had to re-trim the plane...WOAH!!! It took all I had to keep it flying ...and I had to yell to some buddies to come over and hit my trim tabs (was afraid to take my thumbs off the sticks).

The point is ...even an accomplished pilot has his hands full with an out-of-trim plane .....so...practice on the sim adjusting the trim!!

Old 01-12-2006, 06:05 PM
jhrober01

Man oh man... GREAT input from everybody!!... and some fun stories too !!

To clarify one or two point(s). I certainly know that the full scale experience is not a "magic pill" for flying R/C. It is very different to fly anything from the "inside out" as opposed to the "outside in"... I don't have a "Sky King Ego" thingy either... just thought it might have a little bit of value concerning aerodynamics.
My Heli experience is with nitro and I can hover nose-in, so I thought that might count toward some "muscle memory" and orientation.
These are not excuses and I'm not trying to talk myself or you guys into the fact that I should solo on my own.

Short story:
I did ride out to the local R/C club and watched from behind the fence... talked to a REALLY nice guy and his father that was getting ready to fire up a gorgeous 46% Pitts.
I asked him how long he had been flying R/C?... he said "two years". I asked what did you start with? "A Nexstar" was his answer.
Next I asked how he learned... he says "I got comfortable with a simulator through a winter then went out and flew".
He then fired up this beautiful Pitts and flew it like a champ.... and "hovered" it like a champ. It could be that I mis-understood, and that he did indeed use an instructor, but it didn't sound like it.

So... my little mind was ticking away... thinking; "maybe, just maybe..... "

I'm definitely leaning toward seeking an instructor..... but then again ... I've always learned things the hard way ;-)

Thanks Again !!!
Old 01-12-2006, 06:28 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Best of luck to you, this is a great hobby. I look forward to hearing about how much fun you are having, all the great people you will meet, and how helpful your instructor is.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:13 PM
SLOWFLY58

Hey about 20 years ago I did it !!!!
Only took three trainer planes to get there. Soloed the fourth one made from parts of the first three. ( I thought I was improving my building skills ) The guys at Tower loved to see me place an order for a new plane each week. Luckily I did not hurt anyone or destroy anyones property...... [X(]

jhrober01 ..... Do it the safe and inexpensive way, find an instructor (most of them will teach you for free !!!!!! ) and you can use all the money you saved for fuel instead of more trainer planes.

Dale
Old 01-12-2006, 08:55 PM
bryris

ORIGINAL: britbrat

ORIGINAL: bryris

You may be in a minority group here with full-scale qualifications, but hardly an insignificant minority -- lots of us have hundreds &/or thousands of full-scale hrs. Knowledge of aerodynamics is knowledge of areodynamics -- we knew what the sticks did & knew why a plane did what it did -- but we still had to learn how to fly the nasty little critters from the outside. The odds of a successfull unsupervised first flight are every bit as bad for full scale pilots as they are for non-pilots.

One of my absolutely worst students was a Herc pilot who "knew how airplanes fly". Eventually his ego shrank to normal size & he then learned how to fly a model. Like most FS pilots, his subsrequent progress was accelerated -- but getting over that first hump was tough for him.

In my experience, it is the little video-game brats who have a real edge.
Agreed!
Old 01-13-2006, 02:49 AM
stockdaddy

I think u increase your odds if you get someone to get the plane in the air first and just trim the thing out. I'm sure a guy at a club can do that for you without u having to join.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:27 AM
iceman2

Of course you can teach yourself, but what's your time worth? Time and cost will be reduced by going with an instructor, yes, you'll probably have to check your personal ego at the door; yes, you'll spend entire Saturdays and/or Sundays at the RC park, but you'll be way ahead compared to doing it solo. My first experience with a club was very positive, next with a different club was negative. It depends a lot on where you live and availability of resources. Personally, I would not want to damage my Nextstar (if I had one) because it is a beautiful plane.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:35 PM
thefirstjunglepilot

I'm a 3,000 hour commercial pilot (Cessna T-206, & 185) with an A&P, have modified a Cessna 185 with full Roberston STOL kit etc. (a real one) and flew it and many other Cesssna models over the Amazon rainforest for many years. Average strip length <500 meters with 50' obstacles on each end. For real.

That said, I am getting into this sport and will definately get the help of an experienced instructor.

There is a saying I subscribe to whether it be a 3600 lb turbo 206 or a Nexstar: There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but few old bold pilots.

See you at Oshkosh 2006!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.