Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

G.P. PT 40 MK 2 TRAINER BUILD

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

G.P. PT 40 MK 2 TRAINER BUILD

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 09:19 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: G.P. PT 40 MK 2 TRAINER BUILD

Usually when the picture does that it requires a server reboot on Marc's part.

Ken
Old 03-16-2006, 12:08 AM
manks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should have told you about the bigger gear, I did that as well. I think I used 3 inch for the main and 2.5 inch for the Nose, the roll out is much better now. The extra weight is not a big deal, I am powered with a 46 FX, that is lots and lots of power for the plane.

I fly off grass as well and there have been a number of take offs that the bumps have caused the prop to hit the ground.

My PT 40 has taken a bit of a beating, the A wing is a problem in any wind at all, especially on take off, that has resulted in a couple of cartwheels and a bit of dammage. The plane flys well enough and lands fine, but it is slow the that much angle.

To date I have taken out three of 4 control surfaces, bent up the aileron arms, broken about 3 props, taken out the firewall twice, cracked the stab and suffered several dings, dents and covering rips. The plane repairs easy and still flys well.

You will like the plane a lot. Besure to check all the control horns and rods after even a minor crash. I had a really light run in with some long grass that tore out my rudder control horn on the next flight and caused a couple of problems. I was lucky to get her on the ground in one piece that time.

I'll let you know how my second PT 40 build is going.

Right now the Wing is ready to be joined, I just have to figure out how to set up the dual servos, I think I have a solution, I just need some light ply to set up servo hatchs.

The fuse is almost built, the fire wall is glued and I am waiting on it to cure. tomorrow I will get the fuse pretty much done. I am not sure yet if I want to try to buid it as a tail dragger or not, if I do I qill have to figure out that customization as well.

BTW - great job on yours! For a first build that is awesome. I am on my 5th build right now and I don't think mine is as clean as yours.

My fleet:

PT 40 - current flyer
Sig MK II .25 - Current Flyer
Piper Cub 40 - hanger (in my son's room)
F5AU Corsair - hanger (Son's room)
PT 40 #2 - 60% built
Old 03-16-2006, 04:36 PM
theo63

manks,yes i had trouble on the rough grass with the prop so i hope it should be better now

mine does not have a scratch yet!!

thanks it came out good for my first build now ill be starting another tonight

ill bet its easy to build the same plane twice huh,i still might try another one ,unless mine stays in one piece
Old 03-16-2006, 08:52 PM
piper28

now it looks better picture 3
Hey, that box looks familiar. I've got one sitting in the hallway waiting for me to start it. Gotta do some minor repair on my pt40 first though. Last weekends weather made me start thinking it might finally be time to get those repairs done since the weather's turning around (course, then it's cold this week, and was window over the weekend).

The covering jobs on the pt-40's in this thread make me jealous though. The covering on mine looks like crap. Hope to do better with the venture.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:34 AM
kneeforu

Well.... here she is virtually flight ready. I need to patch the monokote in the bottom where I added weight, but other than that, she is balanced and as dialed in as best I can until she hits the air. Going to run the engine this weekend!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48815.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	427700   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55391.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	427701   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41013.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	427702  
Old 03-17-2006, 08:53 AM
theo63

piper28,you have a venture too huh pretty cool,im going to start mine this weekend and maybe do the build thread on here,yes this weather sucks now we have snow thats why i am starting another build

kneeforu,pretty cool looking one there i like it,did you have your battery pack aft of the servos instaed of under the fule tank,interesting,when i balanced mine out i had to move the batteries even closer to the nose
Old 03-17-2006, 10:31 AM
K01S

Very nice job, it really looks great! You wanna come out do mine? I'm doing a PT-60. I'm covering it now and probably made a mistake in choosing a color scheme with 4 colors. I should have kept it simple but ... next time I'll know better (maybe). Anyway yours really looks great!! - K01S [8D]
Old 03-17-2006, 10:34 AM
K01S

I just noticed your name is Steve and not Theo; sorry about that. My name is Don and not K01S. K01S is my amatuer radio call sign.

Anyway I'm looking forward to your new build thread. The one you did for the PT-40 was very interesting and I learned a lot from all the guys that checked in to offer their suggestions. Hope the weather improves for you so you can get out and do some flying. - K01S [8D]
Old 03-17-2006, 11:14 AM
theo63

hey don,,thats okay THEO is my nickname and i hardly ever get called steve,thanks im glad you learned as well as i did with this build thread,its a great tool for us and im so happy to have found this site,without it i would have been lost.

4 colors huh u r a brave one,might as well though learn what you can before your next project
Old 03-17-2006, 11:38 AM
ROBT4

I built the great planes easy sport 40 last winter as my second plane and flew it all summer.After a few other guys at the field tried it they ended up buying the arf version.I just finished building the Sig 4* and hope to put it up this summer.I heard nothing but good things about Bruce's venture and hope to built one as my next build.I'll be following your thread if you decide to start one.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:55 PM
kneeforu

Yes, the batteries are behind the servo tray. I still had to put weight in the back. I imagine that it's a combination of the 46 engine with muffler and aluminum nose cone that is giving me the weight out front.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:25 PM
theo63

robt4,have a picture of your just completed sig 4?yes i have decided to do a build thread on it,maybe start this weekend,yes i couldnt help to get started on it from all the things i have read about it

kneeforu,does that nose cone weight that much more than the plastic ones,i thought of getting one,pretty sharp lookin
Old 07-14-2006, 12:41 AM
formerlyknownasAWB

theo, nice to see the finished product. interesting cover job.

I finally got around to covering mine, been racing the trucks a lot and put the plane on the back burner. its only been a few months right all I need to do now is put in the electronics and I'm off.

I've been practicing on the sim with the wind turned up and each time before I take off I move all the settings so I have to trim it out when I take off. I'm going to maden this bad boy next week, I hope. Its hot as hell here right now.

pics to follow
Old 10-10-2006, 08:52 AM
Birman

To see a sure fire method of attaching the doublers to the fuse, see this thread...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4843788/tm.htm
Old 10-11-2006, 06:29 AM
theo63

birmam excellent that will help all that builds this plane thanks for sharing
Old 10-06-2007, 08:20 PM
p3flteng

I would highly recommend building it as per the instructions. Remember, this is Great Planes' MK-II kit. They have drastically improved it over the originalk PT series. My first airplane was the Trainer 40, although I wish I had originally purchased one from the PT series. I bought this one recently because I like lazy high-wing acft. What a "Great Plane." No pun, of course.

With regard to the instructions: when you position the horizontal stab on the fuse, use a yard stick across the wing saddle in order to parallel the stab. This works great, as per instructions. Then, just plumb the vert stab with the horizontal. You will have a true airplane after that which will respond accordingly. Even more important than wing-to-empennage relationship is that of the engine mounting. The horizontal propeller plane of rotation should be exactly perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the airplane. This model has a downward thrust angle because its wing design is such that the ground naturally repels it. The fuse is built in this kit first for good reason. Get the tail on right, with the use of the yard stick in the wing saddle, and ensure the engine is mounted properly. If you adhere to this construction technique, you can be guaranteed of minimizing the effects of P-factor. But, we can talk about that all day long.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:23 PM
p3flteng

Precisely!
Old 10-06-2007, 09:43 PM
farr301

I recently completed my Pt-40 with the A wing. On the maiden...it had an aileron problem and it rolled over and dove into the ground...almost fixed.....hoping to fly again with NO wind from what i have read about the A wing and crosswinds.....

Farr301