Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Stocking up on balsa

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Stocking up on balsa

Old 01-26-2006, 12:33 AM
Joe14580

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stocking up on balsa

At today's gas prices, driving a 3,000 Ford Taurus 6 miles one-way to my LHS doesn't seem like such a good idea to purchase a few ounces of Balsa [].

For this noobie that doesn't have any kind of R/C wood stock to begin with, what are the general sizes/types of Balsa and/or hardwood you guys find are the most useful to have around your shop that have the most chance of being used.

Thanks.

Joe
Old 01-26-2006, 04:50 AM
Test005

Default RE: Stocking up on balsa

If you're looking for some general "good to have" and not a complete stock for scratch building I'd go something like this:

-Medium sized triangle stock for reinforcing firewalls and landing gear plates
-Few balsa sheets in diffrent thickness
-A sheet of lite ply
-Few diffrent sized hard wood sticks for general reinforcing/repairs.
-Few balsa sticks
-Perhaps one or two round dowels...
Old 01-26-2006, 06:54 AM
Dr1Driver

1/8" lite ply and 3/16" 5-ply sheets

1/4 square bass sticks

1/4" and 3/8" square balsa sticks

1/16" x 3" or 4" x 36" balsa sheets

1/8" x " or " x " " "

1/4" x " or " x " " "

1/4" and 3/8" tri stock sticks

1/4" dowels

That'll give you a good start if you have to make repairs.

Dr.1
Old 01-26-2006, 07:09 AM
bbbair

Although your intentions are good I would not "Stock Up" beyond what I need for the next model.

After you have made a plane there are ALWAYS LEFTOVERS... They accumulate... Left over pieces that are too good to throw away but too small for this current job - so - "I'll just put them over here..."

The problem is that the pile of leftovers grows very fast and even if you really do need a small piece to complete a job you now have to "FIND" it in that big pile of stuff... [&o]

Personally, I maintain minimal stock in the house and buy as I need it for a project. When I have repairs to do, the pile of leftovers is always there.

Besides - it's always fun to go to the LHS.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:23 AM
Test005

I agree on the leftovers.
Build two kits and then you can fill one of the kit boxes fulll of scrap wood.
Anyway, you won't get much sheeting, triangle stock and long material , but plenty of small dimension balsa and ply.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:37 AM
Dr1Driver

I agree on saving and using leftovers, but they don't always fit the need. As Joe stated, if he has to drive 12 miles for one $1.25 piece of wood, it's a net loss. For me, the best "LHS" for hardware is 60 miles away. Stock up? You better bet I DO! When I buy something, unless it's a special application part, I buy two, and put one on the pegboard. I'm lucky that I have a Hobby Lobby and a Michael's in town, so I can get most wood locally, if I want to pay their inflated prices.

Joe,
Also look at bulk suppliers like Balsa USA and Lone Star. Figure what you need and put in an order. Even with shipping, you'll pay about half of what your LHS charges. Buy a bunch to amortize the shipping charges. You'll eventually use it all.

Dr.1
Old 01-26-2006, 07:50 AM
Mode One

Only 6 miles to the LHS, you lucky stiff!! Being 6 miles away you need to have absolutely nothing on hand, unless this seems important to you. Like BBBair & Test005 state, after a kit or two you will have a sufficient pile of balsa, ply, spruce & bass sticks to last the next 5 years. Notice I did say "KITS" If you're talking ARFs, then you may actually need to buy some stock. However, I would wait until I know what it is I need, before buying. Even if building from plans, you still really can't plan ahead what should be in your inventory.

Organization is important and saving fuel is a worthwhile and a noble endeavor! I always keep a paper list of items I need, so when I go to the Hobby Shop, I don't forget what I need to pick-up. Now, if I could just keep from going there, simply because I want to!
Old 01-26-2006, 08:48 AM
Joe14580

Guys,

Thanks for your replies [8D] .

My first plane IS an ARF as I don't want to get too emotionally attached if I crack it up even though I'm getting in my Sim time and will be using an instructor if spring ever gets here [:@].

From these forums, I'v learned that I need to buy 1 or 2 each of all the small spare parts on the plane for my field kit (e.g. wheel collars, props, clevises, screws etc). Additionally, from these forums, I've determined there are a number of fix-ups/improvements needed for my plane (a PTS P-51) to make it more durable/safer etc. Some of those improvements involve installing bracing at critical areas. I have my LHS list of stuff, I was simply thinking I might add a few misc. bits of wood to jump-start my stock, in addition to that which I'll need to make the improvements.

Man, these LHS's really nickle and dime you on the small stuff !!! I know these guys aren't getting rich off of this, but there's definitely good profit margin on the small items. You leave there $30 poorer carrying 2 ounces of product [X(] . Aaaaaaaaargh !
Old 01-26-2006, 03:23 PM
bbbair

As a foot note to "Stocking Up"; storeing the wood can be a problem.

Be sure to keep it in a cool dry place (prevents warping), but I found something neat over Chistmas - a Verticle Wrapping Paper storage container.

Basically; it's just a tall plastic box (12" x 18" x 36") BUT; it's great for storing both rolls of covering and lengths of wood. I found them at the hardware store as well as a drug store & Walmart - different colours and sizes, but they all work.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:50 PM
Joe14580

............"a Verticle Wrapping Paper storage container."

Oooooh [X(] !

Good idea. I've been thinking a bit of how and where to store it. My basement is dry, but still, it's a basement. I've seen them wrapping paper storage thingies. I'll get me one next time I'm over at the evil and despicable Wally World [8D].
Old 01-26-2006, 04:21 PM
DaveB

Dr.1's selection is a good one, but I would also include 3/32 x 4x 36 balsa sheeting.

DaveB
Old 01-27-2006, 09:58 AM
Lowlevlflyer
My Feedback: (3)

I'm in the same boat as far as having to drive to get to my two favorite LHS's. 35 miles to one, 70 miles to the other. Crap, it's even 30 miles to the nearest Hobby Lobby, and about all I can get there is epoxy and CA. I do the same thing that a couple others have talked about... when I go to the LHS for something (unless it's specialized) I buy two, sometimes three of the same thing so I'll have it on hand if I need it in a pinch. With a V10 gas motored F350 dually, the 70 mile trips just to go to the hobby shop are getting fewer and fewer.[:'(]
Old 01-27-2006, 10:36 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The LHS is only about 8 miles away, but his selection sucks.

I have a ARF box full of wood.

I've got sheeting, sticks, tri-stock--all in various sizes. I have hard and lite ply in various thickness'. Dowel rods, LE stock and TE stock. Balsa blocks. I've got just about anything you need to repair a model. Probably enough stuff to build about 3 60-size kits.

I like having all that wood around. I stock up about once a year.

I keep my full size pieces in the ARF box and my cut pieces under 12" long in another box. I always know where to find a piece that I need. It's not a perfectly inventoried and organized system, but I know which box to look in--depending on the application.

Don't even get me started on all the other stuff I have on the shelves. I have more stuff than the LHS.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:59 AM
Balsa Master

i personaly would just drive there.... its not a cheap hoby nor it is for the faint of heart :-P only 6 miles?? lucky [&o]
Old 01-27-2006, 12:59 PM
Lowlevlflyer
My Feedback: (3)

True. I WISH I had a hobby shop within 6 miles!! Then again, the money I saved on gas, I would just end up spending there!
ORIGINAL: Balsa Master

i personaly would just drive there.... its not a cheap hoby nor it is for the faint of heart :-P only 6 miles?? lucky [&o]
Old 01-27-2006, 07:33 PM
donkey doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello; I am about an hour from either of the two hobby shops on the Island, I would take my motorcycle for small pieces (55 mpg) and enjoy the ride. I bought a Hobby lobby "box o' balsa" about 10 years ago and have added and subtracted from it over the years. I actually have 3 now, usually it's a tail wheel or a fuel tank, or a prop I need.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:30 PM
fireplug1111
My Feedback: (21)

I drive about 80 miles to my LHS and I pass up about 4 or 5 that I know of. The reason I drive that far is I know Graves will have whatever I need anytime I need it. Its worth the long drive. Now back to the Balsa thing. I been building for about 12 years now and Im finally builing my first Great Planes plane. Do they use some weird balsa? When I sand great planes balsa I always get into a sneezing frenzy. I dont have that problem with any other balsa.