Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

The "Evil" Nexstar

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

The "Evil" Nexstar

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 03:30 AM
NorfolkSouthern

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The "Evil" Nexstar

Well, I checked back with a local flying club in the area. They use the Hangar 9 Alpha as their club trainer (a nice looking plane at that, I really like the color theme). One instructor reminded me that a Sig LT-40 was still available for sale, with a slight discount (the same price as a brand new Alpha). Another club member there wants to sell me his used Telemaster that has an engine with "only" 35 flights on it (it has a nylon covering and is approximately 20 years old). They also forgot the club trainer (the Alpha), but it didn't matter as the weather wasn't suitable anyway. With how the discussion turned out last week, I didn't mention anything about a Nexstar, except for a discussion with another member about his plane undergoing warranty work.

The discussion last week concerned quite a bit about the Nexstar's Active Flight Stabilization (AFS) systerm. It's not of any practical use, they say, because the instructors don't use it. Apparently, it's only useful if the potential pilot plans to learn flying without an instructor, by him or herself and away from an AMA flying field. Around these parts, there really isn't anyplace to fly unless the pilot belongs to the AMA and demonstrates suitable flying skills for what ever particular field they want to fly in. My feeling is that the instructors at the one field have a fear of the Nexstar because of its AFS feature, and don't feel that it's worth using as a trainer. One instructor told me that it approaches and lands too fast, and is not as stable as other trainers. My opinion is that the Nexstar comes with a flight similator, and features designed for stability of flight even with the AFS turned off. I spoke with an instructor at a different field, and he told me that the Nextar is a fine trainer and that he would gladly train new pilots with it. My question is: Have others experienced a reluctance for use of the Nexstar by instructors? Are there people who feel that the AFS is a feature that should not be on a model plane, even if that model is a trainer? I had one who flat out does not like it, and prefers the LT-40 instead. Well, actually two instructors at the one field.

I'll toss in a few extras. The field that favors the Nextar has a higher initiation fee, and more club rules. They have a paved strip and fly turbos. The field with the instructors who insist on the LT-40 has a grass strip, and a lower initiation fee, and is less formal (more laid back). Since I have already ordered a Nexstar, I may end up going with the more expensive club (I would need to shell out over a hundred bucks and join it to keep flying there). But then again, I could just keep the Nexstar for its looks and features, as a novelty and buy an LT-40 ARF with a different motor and servos (I would use the transmitter that came with the Nexstar). I don't know much about this hobby, and don't want to force an instructor to teach me to fly a plane he doesn't like.

Are there others here who could perhaps offer some type of explanation of why some clubs might have a dislike for a particular model? Is the Nextar considered as a controversial trainer by the model aviation community? Any opinions would be good reading for me, and this may end up being an interesting discussion. Thanks for your patience.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 08-04-2006, 04:31 AM
rwright142

Default RE: The "Evil" Nexstar

I am not an instructor but own a NexStar. I do not know of anyone that uses the AFS because it could potentially take over when you don't need it to. I did use the other features when I first started out; the air brakes and the wing leading edge "anti-stall" foils. They came off pretty quickly tho. One instructor showed me how slow it could land - very impressive. I have only seen a few planes land that slow.

I also have an LT-40 but have not flown it yet. I am waiting on a high speed needle valve for the engine. When I get that I will fly it to compare it to the NexStar. I think they will both fly about the same. I bought the NexStar package; the one that has everything except the field kit, fuel, etc. However, having read the posts here it may have cost a little less to but an LT-40 and all of the stuff seperately. How much savings is anyones guess, but I enjoyed the simulator that came with the NexStar.

The reason why the people at your field may not like the NexStar is perhaps they don't have any experience with it. Ask the 'cheap' club if they would let you fly it a few times before you join. The club that I belonged to allows that as long as you have an AMA instructor do the flying. I don't recall if you had to have your AMA membership first or not.

I still fly the NexStar occasionally because it's fun. It's amazing how fast it can be, and the aerobatic ability is not bad for a trainer.

I have flown mine from grass and asphalt and I have no preference. I do fly exclusively from grass now tho, but only because I no longer have to pay dues (private strip).

Good luck!
Old 08-04-2006, 06:24 AM
D Bronk

Isn`t that AFS system, just a matter of disconnecting it,and plugging the servos, direct to the Reciever.,Then you are back, to a standard style trainer...Rules can Be a GOOD thing, when it comes to safety..Can`t put a price on structures/rules that look out for Everybody at the field..
Old 08-04-2006, 06:54 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

NorfolkSouthern,
I've trained quite a few students over the years, and I've had a few that had the Nexstar. The Nexstar is ok as a trainer, I wouldn't say that it's any better or any worse than the other group of trainers available. When I train somebody on a Nexstar they can leave the wing droops and speed brakes on if they want to keep them (although if I have my choice I'll have the student take them off), but disconnecting the AFS is mandatory if I am going to train them. Why? Because the student just doesn't learn properly if it remains working. I've seen this first hand. A person flying a plane with the AFS will tend to let the AFS bring the plane back to level flight, and when the pilot gets into trouble they will count on the AFS to get the plane out (which it doesn't always do). So let me ask you this? Are you going to have an AFS on every plane that you fly? Because if you don't learn how to bring the plane back to level flight, or save a plane when it's in trouble, then you'll never be able to move on to more advanced planes later on. The AFS becomes a crutch that the student relies on to. For this reason I have a student disconnect the AFS before we start training. When I am training a student I will gradually ease them along. When the are starting instructions I will usually take the plane back from the immediately when they get into trouble because they usually don't have a clue what to do. But as their skills grow I will allow the student more time to recover the plane before I take over. As the student advances in their training they will reach a point where I won't have to take control at all as the student can correct it themselves.

I don't know why the pilots at your field don't want to mess with the Nexstar. Maybe for the reasons I mentioned above, maybe out of fear, or even a reason unknown to either of us. But did you ask them why they don't want to mess with it?? My guess is that if you take the AFS off of the plane they won't have any problems at all with teaching you on the Nexstar.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 08-04-2006, 07:07 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

I second Ken on the AFS. With an instructor, the AFS is simply additional hardware you don't need or want.

As for the LT-40 vs the Nexstar, I've flown both, and prefer the LT-40. I think its better behaved than the Nexstar.

Club vs Club - go hang out at both clubs for an afternoon. See which club is friendlier and more accepting of your personality. Picking a club based on your pick of trainer could lead to a bad mix and bad feelings. Any instructor worth his salt won't really mind which trainer you have to fly. And why join a club if you don't get along with the people at the club?

Brad
Old 08-04-2006, 07:15 AM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

"It approaches & lands too fast" If this guy is an Instructor I certainly don't want none of what he's teaching!! I used a Nexstar too along with a Tower Trainer. I did learn to scrap the AFS on the very first flight but other than that this is the easiest SLOWEST landing plane I know of. In fact I'd be willing
to bet money that if you got a NexStar lined up on a good final runway approach & just cut the throttle & set the radio on the ground it would land itself. This thing slows down so good that with just a little wind in it's face & you can harrier land it like a helicopter. When you go back to this field ask this guy if he's actually flown a NexStar, it doesn't sound like he has making a remark like that. I certainly wouldn't run out & buy another Trainer just because those guys are too close minded to see that with the AFS turned off the NexStar is one of the finest Trainers out there. It's worth an extra $100 a yr to me to fly on pavement over grass anyway. It's not going to be too long before you retire that Trainer & are flying much more expensive planes. A real runway will be nice then. Good luck my friend, & don't let anyone bully ya into anything. There is nothing wrong at all with the plane you have ordered. If they don't want to teach you with it, move on to someone else, or somewhere else if that is their attitude.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:24 AM
schokshi

Hello,
I soloed about 2 months back at club called Midwest R/C Society in Northville. I also belong to another club in Canton area. I've yet to see an instructor having a preference over trainer. I trained with LT-40 just because I had an engine & better radio than one comes with Nexstar. I have seen Nexstar fly & I think it flys just as LT40

I was told (as suggestions only !!) that LT40 is probably the best trainer. But Nexstar is equally good. I think for somebody starting in a hobby, Nexstar is good value & it looks way better than LT40.

As far as, AFS, I think most of the students take it off. I had similar concern about need for an automatic flight stabilization when I was starting out. Since I had LT40, I bought better system called FMA Co-Pilot which works on infrared instead of optical sensors. I never put it in the plane & wasted $99.

Just go with Nexstar, AFS off & you will be fine.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:46 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've instructed on a wide variety of planes including the Nexstar and it flies and slows down for approach and landing just fine. If those "instructors" can't handle the plane then there is something wrong with them and not the plane. I do hate to say that about people I've never met but I have met the plane. Given my druthers, pavement. Easier to fly off of in the long run even if it is a little more difficult to land in the middle of at first. Actually had a member leave our club because he couldn't manage to FIND the runway to land on it.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:46 AM
elenasgrumpy

Dbronk, You don't even have to do that. I just reached in witrh a small screwdriver & turned the pod all the way down wich essentially is the same as turning it off, & I was off & running.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:56 AM
D Bronk

See ,I thought it would be a simple solution..
Old 08-04-2006, 02:50 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Nexstar and it is my second one. The first one crashed because of a faulty elevator clevis. Tower Hobbies sent me a completely new on in the box just like the way the first one came free. I had an instructor that loves the plane and the way it flies. He is now recommending it to new members to train on. After soloing I have over 100 flights on it and it is still going strong. I love the plane and the way it flies. The simulator is worth the extra cost. It didn't take me more than 10 flights to solo after a few days on the simulator. I never did use the AFS system, just left it unplugged like it came. I wouldn't recommend any other trainer than the NEXSTAR!!!

Gibbs
Old 08-04-2006, 03:26 PM
Missileman

A new member at my club is going to learn on a Nexstar. On the trim flight it seemed to be a good flyer and it landed nice and slow. There was a problem though, the AFS was on and it made it very hard to properly trim the airplane, it kept trying to take over while he was trying to adjust the trim switches.
Bottom line, great trainer but ditch the AFS.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:44 PM
elenasgrumpy

Amen!!
Old 08-04-2006, 05:44 PM
D Bronk

Sounds like that Gizmo, is just a sales Gimic, to Up the Price,and boost a newbies purchaseing confidence, while they`re in the store. Is there even such a thing as a BAD Trainer,Maybe a poorly built one,and now, sounds like over engineered ones too..
Old 08-04-2006, 08:00 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a sales gimmick for sure mine has been crashed a rebuilt a couple of times still flys well never used the AFS and after about 10 flts. noticed the fuel was soaking into the fuse at the sensor, removed it and covered the hole, it flys great and is easy to land needs a bit of take off speed other than that no complaints here mine was our clubs first and now there are 3 flying obviously they seem to be working for quite a few people my speed brakes and wing droops didnt come off for a bit I thought they helped slow the plane a bit and with landings not sure what the big knock is on this plane is just another trainer amongst the many after about 5 helper flights I soloed so thumbs up from me
Old 08-04-2006, 09:01 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL:

.... I wouldn't recommend any other trainer than the NEXSTAR!!!
Ok, now I didn't say I wouldn't recommend anything else. I've been instructing for a few years now and I've flown quite a few different trainers. If you ask me what I would recommend to a new pilot it wouldn't be the Nexstar. Why?? Price is why. If you take the Nexstar and take away the AFS (which 99.999% of instructors do anyway) it flies just about like any other trainer out there. So now that the playing field is leveled on how the planes fly it really boils down to price. So let's compare two different trainers.

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEXK2**&P=ML]Nexstar RTF Package[/link] $379

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCXF4**&P=ML]Tower trainer RTF package[/link] $259

That's $120 lower than the Nexstar. For $120 you can pay AMA dues, get a gallon of fuel, get a fuel pump, a glow starter, and rubber bands too boot.

IMHO paying extra for the "gimmicks" on a Nexstar just isn't worth it. I'm not saying that the Nexstar flies worse than the Tower trainer because both planes handling is so close it's hard to say which one is better. The better part come in with the money left in your wallet when all is said and done.

Ken
Old 08-04-2006, 11:05 PM
NorfolkSouthern

ORIGINAL: schokshi

Hello,
I soloed about 2 months back at club called Midwest R/C Society in Northville. I also belong to another club in Canton area. I've yet to see an instructor having a preference over trainer. I trained with LT-40 just because I had an engine & better radio than one comes with Nexstar. I have seen Nexstar fly & I think it flys just as LT40

I was told (as suggestions only !!) that LT40 is probably the best trainer. But Nexstar is equally good. I think for somebody starting in a hobby, Nexstar is good value & it looks way better than LT40.

As far as, AFS, I think most of the students take it off. I had similar concern about need for an automatic flight stabilization when I was starting out. Since I had LT40, I bought better system called FMA Co-Pilot which works on infrared instead of optical sensors. I never put it in the plane & wasted $99.

Just go with Nexstar, AFS off & you will be fine.
Thanks for the suggestion about the AFS, folks. Well, I'm already committed to the Nexstar, since I already put in the order through Tower Hobbies. I priced their Tower Trainer, the LT-40, the Alpha, and other planes and came to the conclusion that the Nexstar actually costs less than the others, given the features and extras. Even if the plane didn't come with the AFS, it would still offer the most "bang for the buck" from what I researched. First, I like the OS FXi engine, which has ball bearings rather than friction. Ball bearing engines cost more than friction, and are said to last considerably longer, run smoother, and offer better performance. The software that comes with the plane alone will save me $200.00 over the cost of buying the full G-3 Real Flight similator. An LT-40, new, similarly equipped would set me back around $600.00. Adding software to the Tower Trainer would price it to $460.00, still $80.00 more than the cost of the Nexstar. Tower Hobbies is also sending a $30.00 discount certificate on other stuff with the package.

I intend to leave the AFS off when I go flying, and will do nothing more or less than what the instructor requests. I checked out the club with the paved field, and they have a very good variety of models, and pilots of many different skill levels. Some of their models are turbine, and others are scale. There are also some members with multi-cylinder engines in their planes too. I'll see what happens as I go along.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 08-05-2006, 06:34 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

NorfolkSouthern,
I'm sure that you're going to do just fine with the Nexstar package that you ordered. As I said before, on the merits of the plane itself it is a great trainer and you won't have any problems with. I'm not here trying to "rub it in" or try to say that you made the wrong decision, but rather I would like to clear up a couple of things for anyone else that might read this thread in the future.

The Fxi motor. Yes, the OS motor does have ball bearings and the motor in the Tower trainer has bushings in it. But that doesn't mean that the bushings motor will not last as long. In fact, it's been my experience that bushings motors can last just as long, or longer, than a ball bearing motor if proper care of the motor is taken. The motor on my trainer has bushing in it and it has over 600 flights on it, and it's still running strong.

The "G3" simulator that comes with this plane isn't valued at $200. The software that comes with this plane isn't a full version of the Realfight simulator. Rather it is a stripped down version that has only one plane in it, the Nexstar trainer.

As I said above, I'm not trying to say you made the wrong decision. I just wanted to point these things out for future reference.

Ken
Old 08-05-2006, 06:54 AM
D Bronk

NorFolk you have the Ammunition(plane) coming .All you got to do, is come out shooting..The field with the pavement,will expose you ,to lots of types of planes ,and to very knowledgable, experienced people.You`ll Probably learn, lots of GOOD habits there too..Just check to make sure ,that you`ll be able to get, Your Fair share ,of Field time Too..Sounds Busy there,and That would suck, if you spent all your time waiting, for everyone to go home, so that you could have your Turn..Especially ,if you pay the same amount of cash, as the next guy does to fly..Let us know ,what you end up doing..Good Luck ,Have Fun...
Old 08-05-2006, 07:22 AM
NorfolkSouthern

I know about the G-3 software being only for the Nexstar. I could have spent the $200.00 for the full package, but then would have had to buy at least a transmitter on top of that if I were wanting to take advantage of all the features the software has to offer. A transmitter would run me at roughly $150.00, bringing the total to $350.00 because the Nexstar version is not available outside the Nexstar package. Would I really need, or want to use all the planes in the full package for $200.00? Maybe, and maybe not. Who knows, I could have purchased that and a transmitter and then stayed at home with the computer, for $350.00. At least the free demo version works on the keyboard. How much does a good video game retail for? I'm sure I could get the same excitement from a video game as I could from the full Real Flight simulator, at 25% of the cost. But I'm not into video games. At least I wouldn't have to buy model airplane fuel and more gas for my truck. The way I see it, I saved $180.00 by not having to purchase the full G-3 package. And I got a nicer looking plane too (which I might just keep for decoration, and buy another kit anyway for busting around in).

Folks, I have been a spectator for over 25 years. I would go, and knock around flying fields watching the planes fly. No money would be spent, I would just watch because I had no AMA membership, and no model to run. It gets a bit old after a while being asked when I'm going to get a plane and learn to fly. I am sure a few clubs have people like me, but not many. I would go and watch the models, but then would wonder if the people there would just want me to go away (I'm sure some folks felt that way).

This hobby is very expensive, considerably more so than most others. I do baking as a hobby, and I've long since recovered all the money I spent on equipment, including my commercial food service mixer and deli slicer. But the R/C hobby? I'll never see the money I spent on models, gas, insurance, club dues, maintenance, or initial outlay costs again. In fact, an introductory flight on a full-scale Cessna runs in the neighborhood of $80.00 MAX, while just getting started on the models will run $250.00 minimum (assuming you start with a USED trainer and AMA dues). Also, all the clubs I've talked to would not even hook me up to their club trainer's buddy box unless I paid the full AMA membership first. The model airplane costs are all sunk because they won't help me reduce other costs. My Nexstar won't bake me a loaf of bread like my Unox convection oven will, needless to say. So, what difference would an extra $70.00 make? I'm going to spend at least that much on insurance fees anyway. If I'm going to have a model, it might as well be something pretty to look at. Ain't this a fun discussion?

NorfolkSouthern
Old 08-05-2006, 07:36 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

If you're happy with your Nexstar, Great. You'll discover with this hobby that there are always MANY choices, and there will be a host of people cheering you on for both (or all) of them. 25 years watching! Wow, you've got an incredible amount of self discipline.

Good luck with learning to fly. And its been my experience that the ugliest plane on the ground is still a thing of beauty in the air!

Brad
Old 08-05-2006, 07:40 AM
NorfolkSouthern

ORIGINAL: D Bronk

NorFolk you have the Ammunition(plane) coming .All you got to do, is come out shooting..The field with the pavement,will expose you ,to lots of types of planes ,and to very knowledgable, experienced people.You`ll Probably learn, lots of GOOD habits there too..Just check to make sure ,that you`ll be able to get, Your Fair share ,of Field time Too..Sounds Busy there,and That would suck, if you spent all your time waiting, for everyone to go home, so that you could have your Turn..Especially ,if you pay the same amount of cash, as the next guy does to fly..Let us know ,what you end up doing..Good Luck ,Have Fun...
I got exposed to that first hand when I visited that field, D Bronk. There was a family who came in, with a park flyer. The group was all over that family immediately, setting up and trimming out the park flyer for their kid. The father was a full-scale pilot and I don't think the family had any AMA membership either. The kid, and the kid's father got a free flying lesson while I sat on the sidelines and nobody seemed to be interested in offering me an introductory flight. I left that day without any stick time, none at all. I guess families get priority over single people. Also, they don't allow spectators in the area without club members present, and the gates get locked when the members leave. So, no, I won't get an empty field to myself either. It's a country club atmosphere, and the game seems to be played much like golf. By the way, I had the oldest and most rusted car in their parking lot too.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 08-05-2006, 09:46 AM
delman

There was a difference between you and the family. If you had gotten out of your vehicle with a plane, they probably would have offered to give you a hand also. Just a possibilty. Normally our club trainer plane is at the field only on Thusday training evening or special events when we would offer intro flights.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:08 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

NorfolkSouthern,
I was putting your down for your decision at all. As I said in my post above, I was simply clarifying what you said for others that may read these posts. While you did understand that the simulator that comes with your plane only had the Nexstar in it, may others would have read you statement and thought it was a full version of RealFlight. I was simply setting the record straight in that context. If you took it as a put down to you I am truly sorry because that is not what I meant at all. As I said earlier, there is nothing wrong with the Nexstar at all as a trainer. You'll do just fine with it once you start training.

Don't worry about sitting in the bleachers at the field. We have people like that at our field every weekend. If I get a few free minutes (between flying my own plane and instructing students I seem to spend a lot of time on the flight line) I will try to go over and talk to those in the stands. I know it's a bit intimidating for new people to come up and introduce themselves, so I try to help them out by greeting them first. For those that are interested in flying I'll spend a little time talking to them about the hobby and what it takes to get into it. In fact, I usually toss my old Tower Talk magazines into the back of my truck so I can give them to new people this this at the field. It's easier to show them what I'm talking about than telling them to go to the website and look for..... blah blah blah.

Anyway, I digress, welcome to hobby and please keep us posted on your training. I know pretty much everybody hear loves following new people's progress as they learn to fly!!!

Ken
Old 08-05-2006, 02:04 PM
elenasgrumpy

Just a lttle tip for your NexStar sim practice. When you turn it on it will automtically put you in "look at airplane" view. Change this to "look at ground" view. This will give you the most realistic view as well as keeping the airfield in your view so you don't get lost. You'll know you have the right view when the planes gets smaller as it flys away from you, & grows bigger as it returns to you. You will also allways have the ground in your view as well. This is important because this is the way it is in real life RC flying. You allways know where you are standing & don't have to fish for the airfield that you are standing on. When you are in watch the aairplane view as you gain altitude your view just follows the plane so soon you lose site of the ground alltogether. Then it is very easy to get lost trying to find you way back to the field. You have to get so familiar with all the scenery that you can use certain trees & hills & things in the landscape for refrence points to find your way back. Eventually you will get to know the whole landscape well enough to do that. You can also familiarize yourself with it all by choosing "behind the airplane" view I think it is called, (I haven't used it in a long time) but this will alow you to just fly all around following the plane & getting to know the whole landscape, plus it is kind of fun too & at the same time you are getting more familiar & comfortable with the controls & how the aiplane reacts to all the different imputs. Once you have gotten comfortable with it all though, return to "look at ground" view & this is where you want to learn to fly from. This is where you want to be able to take off & fly the pattern & return to the field & land from. Then just start doing touch & goes till you can't stand it any more! Once you have that down, then it is time to go in to the weather & start stirring up the winds. This is what will make you a good pilot, IMO & will teach you that the left stick isn't just there for the throttle. You will learn to use that rudder when landing & if you get in to the habit of using your rudder from the beginning it will make you a better pilot. Again this just my opion based on my experience with the NexStar & learning on it's sim. This is what got me soloed, the reasons for that as opposed to an instructor is another story in itself. Let's just say I was sort of force into doing it this way on my own, but I don't reccomend it. Proceed with your plan of proper instruction. It is your best way to success, & if anything I have said here contradicts what your instructor tells you, go with what he says! Not with anything I have said.
I hope some of this helps, & good luck. Keep us posted.