Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

futaba plane battery charge time

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

futaba plane battery charge time

Old 10-11-2006, 09:07 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default futaba plane battery charge time

Hi guys, I have a nitro .45 plane that I'm trying to get running and most of my stuff is all freebies from my neighbor and my uncle. Anyways, the standard futaba charger that charges the planes battery pack and the transmitter, I know its 15 hours for the transmitter, but what's the charging time for the planes pack? By the way, all the electronics for the plain are futaba.

thanks
Old 10-11-2006, 09:13 PM
LANNYBOB

Default RE: futaba plane battery charge time

over night is fine anywhere from 10 to 12 hours is fine.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:48 PM
Ken Erickson

To get this one right, you will have to read the numbers on the battery and on the charger. What is the output of the receiver side of the charger. The older Futaba chargers put out 50 mAh and the newer ones put out 100 mAh.

Long ago and far away the battery packs were 500 mA. The 50 mAh charger was used for overnight charging, or 16 hours. Long night. But, you could actually leave them attached for maybe a day or so, without harming the battery pack.

Several years ago, higher capacity packs showed up. Complications!!!!

The newer Futaba radios come with 500 mAh receiver packs, but chargers intended for 1000 mAh packs. The manual says to charge for 9 hours.

That can still be overnight, just don't forget to disconnect in the morning, or you could cook the pack.

A charge of 1/10 Capacity, or C/10 is still considered wonderful for the pack, sometimes called a "forming charge", which prepares a pack for use. A charge of just over 1/50 Capacity. or C/50, is a "trickle charge", which can be left for long periods.

Charge rates of 1C or 2C can be convenient for the user, unless the pack goes bad, which does happen. And, you don't want to charge a bunch of times at different rates without occasionally cycling and/or re-forming Nickle Cadmium packs.

Personally, I switched to fairly small Nickle-Metal Hydride packs. (650 mAh, AAA). They can be charged more times, after less discharge, without damage. I still stay under 1C. Personal decision.

Ken Erickson

AMA 19352
Old 10-12-2006, 08:44 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

thanks for all the help.

I still have one more question. the ON/OFF switch: the ON end has two wires coming off of it, one for the battery, one for the receiver (B)attery slot. Then there's the wire coming out of the OFF end, whats it for? I cant find were it plugs in to. Does it plug into some place I can't find, or is it were you charge the battery and it plugs into no were on the plane?

thanks
Old 10-12-2006, 08:50 PM
super tigre

The extra wire is for charging the battery
AMA#511248
Steve
Old 10-12-2006, 08:58 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

AMA#511248
what's that signify?
Old 10-12-2006, 09:14 PM
super tigre

When you join the AMA they issue you a member number that is printed on your membership card.
AMA#511248
Steve
Old 10-12-2006, 09:16 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Can you post the model numbers of the transmitter and receiver? These will help us determine how old the radio is.

AMA stands for Academy of Model Aeronautics. The AMA is an organization that many of us in the US belong to. The number is his membership number. Notice that I post my AMA number too. The AMA's web site is here: http://www.modelaircraft.org/

Something you will find on the AMA site is a club locator. Since you're new to this, I suggest using the club locator to find a local club. Once you've done this, ask someone to help you check out the equipment you've got. The club will also be a good source for finding someone to help you learn to fly.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:59 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

I will add something to what Chuck said...

Make SURE you get help flying that thing!!!

Without instruction, you will crash. That's a promise.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:47 AM
500 lb. koolaid man

I have a neighbor that gave me a lot of his old stuff and he's always willing to help. If I do join, I'll wait a while though, at least until I have my plane ready for the air. It's a really old plane that my uncle gave me about a week ago, a KADET MARK II with a .45 in it. I finally got the guts to pull the receiver pack out of a place were it will be very hard to put back in. I found out that it too, along with my transmitter battery takes 15 hours to charge. My charger has an output of 50 mA. MinnFlyer, I will have a trainer with me when I take it out for the first time. First my dad told me I should, then you post that, so I decided yes. Thanks guys!
Old 10-13-2006, 11:07 AM
hogflyer

koolaid man,

You'll love the Kadet Mk. II. One of the best trainers ever designed.......I learned a lot on a Mk I, and have built a couple of Mk. II's.

Hogflyer
Old 10-13-2006, 12:14 PM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: 500 lb. koolaid man

I will have a trainer with me when I take it out for the first time. First my dad told me I should, then you post that, so I decided yes. Thanks guys!
Welcome to RC flying. You'll quickly find that you will require and instructor for more than just the first time but you can work on that later.
there are a number of clubs in your general area
http://www.modelaircraft.org/ClubZip...x?z=34684&d=25
Old 10-13-2006, 02:47 PM
scratchonly

Google RC Battery clinic. Lots of good stuff there.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:55 PM
bruce88123

http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com/
Old 10-15-2006, 10:55 AM
500 lb. koolaid man

I know I'v said it probably every post, but thank you all!!! You guys are very helpful.

I found out my battery was too old to take a charge after it would'nt take a charge from the charging plug off the ON/OFF switch. As a last attempt I tried to unplug it from my ON/OFF switch and it wouldn't come out. I kept trying until it was snapped in half, half the plug in the ON/OFF connector, and the other half as the plug. I went to my local hobby shop yesterday and got a battery that is now charged, and a new ON/OFF switch. I still can't get anything to work! I give the plane and transmitter power, test it, and nothing.[&o] I was wondering, is it ok to stick a crystal into a receiver if it doesn't match the crystal number sticker on the back of the receiver? And just have matching crystals for the transmitter and receiver, almost like ignoring the sticker on the back of the receiver? Sorry if I lost anyone.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:54 AM
delman

You can swap out receiver crystals to match the transmitter.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:03 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

I think I might have found the problem.

All the servo wires on the futaba receiver have black pointing to the outside, away from the sticker on the receiver. Is there any chance that the battery's black wire faces the opposite direction, toward the sticker?
Old 10-16-2006, 06:39 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: 500 lb. koolaid man

I think I might have found the problem.

All the servo wires on the futaba receiver have black pointing to the outside, away from the sticker on the receiver. Is there any chance that the battery's black wire faces the opposite direction, toward the sticker?
On a Futaba, the negative (black) wire points the same way for battery and servos, toward the outside of the receiver. As I requested earlier, can you post the model number for the transmitter and receiver you are using. Also post any identifying marks you may have on the receiver crystal and transmitter channel. This will help us eliminate any obvious problems such as AM transmitter/ FM receiver, wrong crystal, etc.