Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

New--Some questions

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

New--Some questions

Old 10-16-2006, 10:01 PM
ShakeandBake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New--Some questions

Hello Everyone! So I was wondering what all parts do you need to make an RC plane fly? Also I have no idea how to identify what type of engine size or anything really, could someone help me? Thats all for now, Thanks.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:34 PM
Charlie P.

Default RE: New--Some questions

First, spend about five days reading backwards through the posts in this forum. You've just asked one question that 50 people could spend two weeks answering with no agreement and no wrong answers.

You need:

an airframe ("the model" - be sure it says "trainer" in the ad or on the box).
Any hardware that does not come with the model - wheels, engine mount, etc.
an engine
a glow plug
a fuel tank (if not included with the model)
fuel line from tank to engine and from muffler to fuel tank
a jug of fuel
a transmitter
a receiver
enough servos for all control surfaces and the throttle (usually 4 or 5)
a battery
a way to charge the battery in the plane and in the transmitter (should come with the radio set)
a way to get fuel into the airplane's tank
a glow starter (and a battery or way to recharge this)
a propeller
a prop & glow plug wrench
#64 rubberbands if the wing is so attached
an electric starter for the engine is optional but very, very nice to have, a chicken stick will do but requires more technique. You'll also need a battery for a starter and it can be the same one as runs the glow driver if you get a distribution panel.

a box to carry all the field equipment
a selection of #0, #1, and maybe #2 regular and phillips head screwdrivers
a pair of forceps or needle nose pliers (unless you have small enough fingers to feed the fuel line back onto the intake nipple on the engine's carb)

The most important thing is an instructor on the other end of a buddy-box cable.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:39 PM
SoonerAce
My Feedback: (1)

If you are truly new to this sport, hobby, addiction; Find a local hobby shop, ask about the local flying clubs, visit one of them, take some orientation flights. If it still seems like something of interest to you, Join AMA and your local club, while building your first trainer: SIG LT 40 springs to mind, powered by a .40 size engine. As your building, have one of the club instructors give you lessons on how to take off, fly the pattern, and land, on a club trainer. Invest in a flight simulator program and practice at home on the computer. By the time you have your trainer built, you should be ready to have your instructor allow you to fly your trainer on buddy box.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:42 PM
Charlie P.

As far as engine size, it depends on the model.

I'd recommend an Avistar with a .40 or .46 size engine (OS, SuperTigre or Thunder Tiger)

An RCM 40 with a .46 like a ThunderTiger Pro-46

A Sig Kadet Senior with a .40 or .46 size.

Personal preference is for the OS .46 AX or the Thunder Tiger Pro-46
Old 10-16-2006, 11:56 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

You could simply shop for a "RTF" or Ready-to-fly airplane package, ShakeandBake. This would provide you with a 98% pre-built airplane with the engine, battery, and radio equipment that you'd need to fly it, be it electric or glow powered. A good RTF plane can get you up in the air fast so you can enjoy the hobby while you're learning more about LiPo versus NiMh batteries and the advantages of 4-stroke versus 2-stroke engines.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:21 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

A great place to start in this hobby is getting the plane. I've compiled and maintain a list of trainers that are suited for the new pilot to learn on. Look over the list and see if any of the plane look good to you. You can find this list here:L

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4537845/tm.htm]Looking for a trainer, what's available. (Updated 8-14-06)[/link]

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 10-17-2006, 07:55 AM
ShakeandBake

Thanks everyone!!! BUt I have one last question.... Is there a real difference between a "trainer" plane and one that is not?
Old 10-17-2006, 08:32 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ShakeandBake

Thanks everyone!!! BUt I have one last question.... Is there a real difference between a "trainer" plane and one that is not?
Absolutley! A trainer flys mild mannered, is somewhat self correcting, and will ensure that you LEARN to fly. Remember, you are LEARNING. If you have watched other people fly, you might think it looks easy, but trust me, it is not. There is a learning curve to this hobby, and starting out with something other than trainer will end in disaster, souring you on the hobby. Do it right, and start with a trainer. I learned with the SIG LT-40. Four years, 50 gallons of glow fuel, and 15 airframes later, and I am still a happy pilot, excited for my next visit to the airfield.

If you can come up with the cash, an RC flight simulator is a great way to shorten the learning curve dramatically. Just make sure your instructor is in on the game, so as to not learn any bad habits that he will have to unlearn you from. Good luck.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:45 AM
Charlie P.

A trainer you can fly and land more than once in your first few weeks of flying. A non-trainer you can sometimes fly, usually crash, and spend more time repairing and money replacing than you would like when starting out. Start with a trainer. Even when you get "good" they are fun to try new things with. Skis, floats, break in new engines (more fun than a test stand). And some evenings you just want a relaxed flight or two against a beautiful sunset backdrop.

Things happen slower with a trainer. You can look away (which you shouldn't do but life is full of distractions) and it will probably still be in the air instead of a smoking hole at your feet. A proper trainer will recover to level flight if you're high enough and release the sticks . . . but don't count on it. They slow down nicely for landing. You will have to get used to the controls seeming reversed when an airplane is flying at you. VERY disorienting for beginners and one reflex a simulator helps you develop.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:13 PM
ShakeandBake

Is there a particular way transmitters and recievers must be matched up? Thanks.