Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

WHICH COVERING IS BEST?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.
View Poll Results: A poll
POLYCOVER
0%
SUPERKOTE
4.35%
OK I will add it - ULTRACOTE
95.65%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

WHICH COVERING IS BEST?

Old 01-03-2007, 12:03 PM
shd3920

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHICH COVERING IS BEST?

I am hoping to order it from Hobby-Lobby real soon in a matter of days.

I really love [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/polycover.htm]POLYCOVER[/link] (formerly Oracover) and it is very easy to apply.
But [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/superkote.htm]SUPERKOTE[/link] is two dollars cheaper per roll but I've never used it. If it is not at least AS EASY as Polycover to apply then I will just get the Polycover which I know how good it is, but of course I'd rather save the $$$$

What do you use or like better? Alot of you use Monokote but I albsolutely HATE IT so please don't recommend it.

Thank you all for your advice and opinionS

EDIT: I have added [link=http://www.*********.org/ultracote.htm]ULTRACOTE[/link], so now its either of the three. Out of the three the only one I have used is Oracover, but I have not used it since the changeover to Polycover which they report has gotten even better. What do you think, I am torn between the 3 and am told not to mix coverings on a single kit so I have to decide on one. But Hobby-Lobby don't carry Ultracote. RChobby does so I'd probably buy that from them.

EDIT AGAIN: I would NOT buy the Ultracote from RChobby - $17.99 per roll [sm=greedy.gif][sm=drowning.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif] Horizon Hobby & HobbyHorse both have it for $12.99 per roll

Old 01-03-2007, 12:12 PM
rwright142

Default RE: WHICH COVERING IS BEST?

Have you considered ultracote?
Old 01-03-2007, 12:56 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting... Horizon calls Oracover "Ultracote"

I'm not familiar with either of the names listed above, but Oracover/Ultracote is my favorite.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:06 PM
bruce88123

You forgot to list my preference - Monokote.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:08 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

You forgot to list my preference - Monokote.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:07 PM
MinnFlyer

ORIGINAL: tigerdude426

A lot of you use Monokote but I albsolutely HATE IT so please don't recommend it.
Don't you two read?
Old 01-03-2007, 03:14 PM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

A lot of you use Monokote but I albsolutely HATE IT so please don't recommend it.
Don't you two read?
"You forgot to list my preference - Monokote."
My post was NOT a recommendation. Just a statement of fact. And Ken only smiled and grinned. See?
Old 01-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

I am hoping to order it from Hobby-Lobby real soon in a matter of days.

I really love [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/polycover.htm]POLYCOVER[/link] (formerly Oracover) and it is very easy to apply.
But [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/superkote.htm]SUPERKOTE[/link] is two dollars cheaper per roll but I've never used it. If it is not at least AS EASY as Polycover to apply then I will just get the Polycover which I know how good it is, but of course I'd rather save the $$$$

What do you use or like better? Alot of you use Monokote but I albsolutely HATE IT so please don't recommend it.

Thank you all for your advice and opinionS

If you want a film, get Ultracote. If you want a fabric get SolarTex/WorldTex. IMO those are the 2 best coverings out there AND even beginners can get excellent covering jobs using them (as well as taking their time to read the directions ).
Old 01-03-2007, 04:05 PM
Mr_Ed

[8D] Actually, silk and dope is still the BEST covering available. Unfortunately, to many people live in apartments where the smell may be prohibitive. Or, they just don't like the smell. Or, they want the instant gratification thing. If you want a really good looking covering job, give a fabric and dope covering a try - even if you paint it with something other than dope.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:08 PM
shd3920

DEAR RCKEN AND BRUCE88123 ,

I am not downgrading Monokote persay (SPELLING) it's just I can not for the life of me iron it on and get the wrinkles out no matter how hard I try it and pull it I just can not get it flat.

For EXPERT coverers (if that is a word) like ken and bruce monokote is easy as anything to apply, but for [sm=bananahead.gif][sm=bananahead.gif] like me I just can not do it.

Maybe (more-than-likely) when I get more experience with covering I will try it again, but for now I am just too uncoordinated (SPELLING)
Old 01-03-2007, 08:57 PM
gunfighterII

tigerdude426,
It'll come to you, just keep on practicing. Go out and buy yourself a good heat gun. Even though Monokote is not as good or easy as it used to be, nothing compares when it's finished.

I will admit that Ultracote is the most user friendly and easiest to apply.

As for silk and dope, that's for the real professionals.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:05 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Tigerdude,
Oh trust me, I totally understand what you are saying. And I haven't forgotten what it's like to fight Monokote. I still remember vividly my first try at covering. It looked like a total nightmare. It looked so bad that I pulled it off and redid it until I got it looking halfway decent. But it's like everything else in this hobby, you get better with experience. The more you practice the better you get. I understand about you saying you might try it once you have more experience covering, but to be totally honest with you that doesn't apply here. Each type of covering takes a different set of skill. That's why you have people that are so loyal to Ultracoat,Monokote, etc... It's not that one is better than the other, it's a simple fact that they are usually better at one type of covering and when they try something else it doesn't look good. Getting good results out of Monokote is really a trick of a couple good practices, and a ton of patience. That's probably the one biggest mistake people make is that they try to get it done too fast. To get a good monokote job is going to take a LOT of time.

Just my 2ΒΆ worth

Ken
Old 01-03-2007, 09:09 PM
shd3920

Not that it matters in the decision but this is what I will be covering . . . .
Old 01-03-2007, 09:13 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

My Tower Trainer 40 ARF was my first covering job too. After I flew mine so much that the covering was literally falling off I decided it was time to use it to learn to cover.

Ken
Old 01-03-2007, 10:25 PM
bruce88123

Current production Monokote doesn't seem to be as reliable as it was 25-30 years ago. I think they may have changed adhesives or possibly formulas. Seems to take a little more heat than it used to to get it to work properly too. That said, it does still work.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:39 PM
shd3920

I have an old PT-40 in the cellar that was never completed. Actually it was the first kit I built after coming back to this hobby after a six-year layup and just gave up on. I attempted to cover it twice. First with coverite unfinished fabric, which I tore off after the LHS stopped carrying it. Second with a film (don't remember which one) that came out so smudged and dirty that I tore that off as well. There are still spots of the old film on it today.

The point is I can bring that one back up from the cellar and practice with Monokote on that until I get pretty decent enough with it. And maybe it will even be good enough to fly

But that won't be until this one is complete.

I even have some old burgungy and green Monokote stashed away that I never got rid off (even though I claim not to like it, I still don't get rid of it)
Old 01-04-2007, 09:33 AM
MinnFlyer

For EXPERT coverers like ken and bruce...
Boy, have you guys got HIM snowed! [sm=lol.gif]
Old 01-04-2007, 09:39 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

shhhhhhh. don't say that too loud!!!

Ken
Old 01-04-2007, 09:55 AM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: RCKen

shhhhhhh. don't say that too loud!!!

Ken
Snitch[:@]
Old 01-06-2007, 02:55 PM
shd3920

Decision made: I will be using Ultracote. Thank you for your input.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:44 PM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

Ulta! Yea Baby!

Peter Dowling aka Luftwaffe Oberst
AMA District II # 865404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY
Old 01-07-2007, 06:08 PM
tronco

Hmm.. im just now trying my first covering job. Needles to say its not going as SMOOTHLY as i had hoped (pun completly intended). In fact.....its anything but smooth. Since i am a beginner should i be using somthing besides monokote? I dont suppose there are any tricks you could pass on? Im keeping my patience( I knew this was gona give me trouble before i started) but ive played around so much with tension, temperatures, and such, im kinda out of ideas. I wish there were a class/ workshop that i could take.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:15 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

RCU member MinnFlyer has done some great how-to articles and videos on covering. check them out as they will go a long way to getting you started.
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=67] Minnflyer Covering how-to [/link]
[link=http://67.18.81.100/rcuvideos/magazine/reviews/352/cov1.wmv] Minnflyer Covering video, part 1 [/link]
[link=http://67.18.81.100/rcuvideos/magazine/reviews/352/cov2.wmv] Minnflyer Covering video. part 2 [/link]
[link=http://67.18.81.100/rcuvideos/magazine/reviews/352/cov3.wmv] Minnflyer Covering video, part 3 [/link]
newest covering videos
[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=726[/link]

Unfortunately there are no "tricks". It just takes practice to get a good covering job. This applies to all types and brands of covering. You just need to learn how to put them on, and that just takes a bit of practice.

Ken
Old 01-07-2007, 06:15 PM
rctrax

I have been using Monokote for years and the last two projects were disasters. I have sworn off Monokote because it just isn't the product it used to be. It doesn't shrink up like it used to. I have gotten so hot it melted but would not shrink.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Stickbuilder

You forgot to add either None of the above, or cloth and dope, which is actually the best covering medium. Second best is flite metal (but only if you are replicating a metal finish). The iron-on coverings are basically Mylar film with a thermo-bond applied to them. They will always look like plastic film.

Them's my opinions (oughta be yours)

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1