Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Newby with $$$ question

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Newby with $$$ question

Old 02-06-2003, 09:31 PM
Minnreefer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newby with $$$ question

As I have said in my other post, I am into salt water aquariums which have cost me $1000's over the past few years, I really don't want ot know how much . I have learned to do it right the first time and also tell new people to that hobby to expect a lot of headaches and money.

I know that there is the AMA $58. club fees ~$50 and the intial plane, remote, engine etc. What price range is the "average" year in RC planes for upkeep, repairs, etc? I know that is a tough question and it makes a difference in if I build/buy new planes and such.

I want some real numbers to help me determine if I should try to get back into this hobby.

Thanks

Jon
Old 02-06-2003, 09:48 PM
Flyfalcons

Once you get a plane in the air, operating expenses aren't too bad. You're looking at 15 bucks a gallon for fuel, a new prop every now and then, and an occasional glow plug. Additionally, repairs can go from some scrap balsa to a new wing kit etc. You'll also be investing in new tools and field equipment that you want or need. How much you spend in this hobby is up to you as far as how much you fly and how often you need to repair your plane.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:10 PM
Dig it

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been in it a few years now and I would have to say that I spend between $1000.00- $1500.00 a year Canadian. I have three planes now and I have a real bad tendancy to buy a new kit after the first few flights of my last one. I like to build and thats the big expense. Retracts, engines and electronics kill ya, tools are a here and there expense and the kits are pritty cheap if ya stick to 1/7th warbirds and extra 300's like I have. A couple hundred bucks gets the kit and your building like crazy. Glue and extra balsa are cheap.

Its an amazing hobby, and you'll spend no more on this a year than a guy does golfing or playing hockey.
Old 02-07-2003, 01:32 AM
Small Fry

Dig it, I dont know if that's reassuring or not with the amount of time vs golf! lol. I'm 19 and golf 5 days a week! lol, that's A LOT of time in the air!
Old 02-07-2003, 02:54 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Like Ryan said, the recurring costs don't have to be too high. Fuel, props, glow plugs, and little parts very occasionally are the minimum. Be careful--it's easy to spend a fortune in gadgets!
Old 02-07-2003, 04:46 PM
Heath
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Minnreefer,

Ah, a fellow SW man! I have a 90G reef myself, and understand the $1,000's!!!

Having just made the transition you're contemplating, let me give you a low down on round about what I've spent so far.

Midwest Aerostar 40 kit $90
Evolution trainer engine $120
Hitec 4 channel radio with flight pak (new) $119
monocote covering - 3 rolls $36
covering iron $20
heat gun $20
Wheels, wheel collars, fuel tank, and misc parts and glue - $50
3 beginner R/C books (only one was worth the $) - $55
FMS simulator program and cord for TX to computer - $19
Black & Decker rolling tool box for flight box (see 'billy box' thread) - $30
power panel - $20
Starter - $24
elec. fuel pump - $19
Glow starter - $10
fuel can - $5
12v battery - $24
charger - $15
Misc tubing bulkheads, etc. for flight box - $15
AMA membership - $58
local club membership - $75

So, for my first plane, gadgets, etc., I've spent around $824. Now, keep in mind, I didn't cut any corners. I could've saved a wad by shopping eBay for some used stuff. But, I made the decision to have new stuff so I didn't have to worry about reliability issues. I'd say you could easily shave $300 off this by buying a used .40 size engine, and some used equipment for starter, flight box, etc.

So, you're probably looking at between $500 and $1,000 to get started, depending on personal decisions of equipment.

Also, as has already been mentioned, this hobby is MUCH more contagious than reefin', in my personal experience. I've already got my second plane spread across the building table to start, and have TWO more kits waiting to be built!!

If you do decide to try it and you feel like you're gonna stick it out, I wouldn't waste my time with a four channel radio. I'm already looking for a 6-8 channel computer radio and haven't had the four channel 6 months!! But its not a total loss, a flight pak alone would cost $100 and you can sell the TX alone for $30 on eBay, so I guess I didn't lose anything here, just wasted a step.

Good luck,

Heath

PS - What kinda reef setup you got?
Old 02-08-2003, 03:49 PM
Minnreefer

Thanks for the answers, I know it is not as cheap as the intial investment, and I doenjoy building stuff .

Now off topic I have a 135 reef, a 100 gallon connected to it and a 110 fish only with live rock.

Heath, if you are not already, please come over to the message board at http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/ and say hi, we are a very friendly board.

Jon
Old 02-08-2003, 11:30 PM
Don Davis

Minnreefer, I just stopped giving my frags away and started selling them instead. Now my reefs (125 softie, 220 SPS) pay for themselves and this hobby.

When I started adding up all the frags I was giving away to other clubmembers I realized how much they were worth. 20 or 30 frags at $15-$20 each = $300-$600. And I would give away that many frags 3 or 4 times a year.

Don