Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Went the my LHS today!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Went the my LHS today!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 04:34 PM
Small Fry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went the my LHS today!

So I go into the hobby shop, (first time I've been in it) and the guy there asked if he could help, but I just said that I was lookin around (I like to do that a lot). After about 30 seconds in the store, I thought about how much money I could spend in there without battin an eye. First, I should tell you that I'm a gadget person, gotta have cool lookin toys. He must've had 50 engines out on display, all shiny and everything, and then his radios next to them. Whoa some of them, I KNOW I wouldnt ever use, but they looked so cool, I couldnt resist pickin one up. I had to force myself to leave the store before I emptied my wallet out for something! Unbelievable!
Old 02-11-2003, 04:37 PM
RCaeroguy
My Feedback: (4)

Know the feeling. I usually deal with my LHS over email. He sets the stuff aside. I just walk in, pick it up and leave. I'm not tempted to look at all the great stuff he has.
OK, I have to stop talking about it. The temptation to buy something is back.
Old 02-11-2003, 07:01 PM
DSJBEAN
My Feedback: (1)

Did the 3.5 mile round trip walk from work today at lunch time today. Gotta love looking around.
Old 02-11-2003, 07:03 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

You're not alone. I dropped $200 several weeks ago and that's just a drop in the bucket compared to what some of the people here on RCU spend.
Old 02-11-2003, 07:09 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Give up Small Fry, you know you're hooked. Now do the responsible thing, get your cash, your checkbook, and your credit cards and GO BACK and support the economy!!!
Old 02-12-2003, 12:23 AM
Tippie

Ah, what I like to see. Someone that isn't hooked on Tower Hobbies or Hobby Lobby. Give the little guy a chance. He can provide a lot more than just the supplies, like free advice, doesn't ignore you when you talk to him, gives you a place to hang out with the guys, etc. My old hobby shop back in IA (since retired and closed) had a place in the back room where he would help you build your model, and leave it there until you finished and then get one of the other guys that was hanging out to watch the store while he went with you to the field to learn to fly. You won't get any of that on the internet!!!
Old 02-12-2003, 11:19 AM
Groundforce-RCU
My Feedback: (20)

Default Yeah

Went to JC hobbies yesterday for some repair stock. Naturally, at the register there, they have the engine im dyin to get my mits on,a Saito 120. It was so nice there in the box, all shiney and just beautifull! I wanna get that engine and connect it to the Kangke GS 300 I got for christmas.
That is till the wife let me know we didnt have the 315.00 to make the dreams come true......
For now though, its still a dream.... :greedy:
Old 02-12-2003, 03:17 PM
david a

My LHS, I say local it's actually 65 miles away, is a nothing more than a big shed in the owner's back yard. It's well stocked with just about everything the flyer could need. He loves the hobby and runs his shop much like the guy Tippie spoke of in IA. He doesn't deal with anything except plane stuff, which is nice as you don't have to wade through all the other junk to find what you want.

We used to have four Hobby shops in Montgomery but every one has closed. The last one just a few weeks ago. I really don't see how a hobby shop can make much money. Not when you have to pay rent, property liability insurance, utilities, advertising (yellow page ads aren't cheap), not to mention payroll and taxes.

The best by far is a shop in someone's back yard who specializes in just one aspect of RC hobby, ie. ground, water or air. He would be a retired fellow who does it as a hobby rather than depending on it for a living. It would be like an old barber shop where men can hang out and tell lies with "no" women allowed. Well, it least none that are related.
Old 02-14-2003, 03:59 AM
Whirley Bird

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[i] [/B]
Tippie,
Your so right.
I went driving around looking for a LHS that was about a 12 mile ride.
Looked at all the planes and the owner took out the box and opened it up.
BEAUTIFUL!!
Covering was excellent.
The plane was an Airstrike @ $349.00 & 46 ABS BB engine.
He tossed in an extra prop and no charge and invited me to his small 7 man flying club.
He's going to set the throws for me and use his fuel and his method of breaking in the engine.
So I paid $55.00 more but now I made a new friend and have a place to take the plane in for parts.
He stocks just about everything for the Airstrike.
Just my 2 cents.
No more TH for me.
Old 02-14-2003, 04:20 AM
Tippie

Hoo Rraahh, Whirly Bird
I question the $55 more, that may be an actual figure but what about the intangibles you got. Did you figure in the fact that he is going to help set the plane up for you. And he will make sure you will be able to fly it. No hassels about anything broken in shipment, you saw it right there! And I'm sure that if you change your mind about it (before you put it together) you can get you money back or exchanged without being jerked around. 12 miles is nothing as far as distance. I'm about 45 miles from the closest RC hobby shop now. A little to far to just to hang out but close enough to get ideas and drool. And if he doesn't have what I want in stock, he can have it there in a week. What's the hurry.
I don't think modelers realize the cost of stocking a shop and paying the overhead for such a small number of customers.
Old 02-14-2003, 04:52 AM
Whirley Bird

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Tippie
Hoo Rraahh, Whirly Bird
I question the $55 more, that may be an actual figure but what I don't think modelers realize the cost of stocking a shop and paying the overhead for such a small number of customers.
I been flying and getting back after 15 years.
If I crash he has wings and tail sections in stock.
Tower Hobbies wants $300.00 + shipping.
This Airstrike has a 6 foot 2 inch wing and is a RTF.
In all the other years I have flown I crashed 1 time.
No throttle control and the landing gear just didn't clear the edge of the roof of a small school building
The plane was to big,to fast and flew faster then I could think.
BTW,
That shop also had many items just a bit cheaper then Tower hobbies.
KEEP ON SHOPPING