Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Minnesota flyers where are you ?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Minnesota flyers where are you ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 03:20 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Minnesota flyers where are you ?

Great Idea Mike. So how do we start. Time and place?
ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer
We should get an RCU fly-in together sometime.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:30 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: jagnweiner

I live in Bloomington and fly at TCRC in Jordan. It's only about a 25 min. drive for me. Our club is at www.tcrconline.com.

MikeL- We have our monthly meetings at CrossPoint Church in Bloomington (98th and France) on the second Tues. of each month at 7:00. Come by some time. We usually have an entertaining speaker.

-Scott
Hi Scott,

Bill J. and I run into each other at work every couple of weeks. He's been telling me about some of the programs you guys put on, and I'm impressed. I'll have to stop by sometime this summer. Life is more than a bit busy at the moment. Thanks much for the invitation!
Old 03-08-2007, 04:09 PM
dieFluggeister

If we hurry we can still set up on the ice somewhere. Lotsa room... I'll bring the grill
Old 03-08-2007, 04:56 PM
jagnweiner
My Feedback: (1)

[
Hi Scott,

Bill J. and I run into each other at work every couple of weeks. He's been telling me about some of the programs you guys put on, and I'm impressed. I'll have to stop by sometime this summer. Life is more than a bit busy at the moment. Thanks much for the invitation!
Wow! You know Bill personally and are still interested in hanging out with us. Just kidding. We'd love to meet you. You should try to come to our float fly on Bush Lake May 12.

-Scott
Old 03-09-2007, 10:27 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We should get an RCU fly-in together sometime.
ORIGINAL: Insanemoondoggie

Great Idea Mike. So how do we start. Time and place?
Well, most of us live in the metro area, so someplace there would be most convenient. However, although Willmar is a 2-hr drive from the cities, we have a great field and VERY FEW FLIERS, so there would be very little "Waiting for a pin" if you guys want to come out here.

Here are pics of the field, and a video I shot there:

http://videoserver.rcuniverse.com/rc...34/p47vidh.wmv

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73572.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	638508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19842.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	638509   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26103.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	638510   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx66179.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	638511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb38584.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	638512  
Old 03-09-2007, 11:39 AM
Radcom

Don't forget me,set a date and time, I'll show up....
Old 03-09-2007, 11:50 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Really nice field. Sounds good to me. My daughters getting married June 23rd, but any date after that, I`m good to go.
Let me know if there anything I can do to help.
Thanks MinnFlyer
Robbie
Old 03-09-2007, 12:34 PM
Radcom

I found a Pic of our field. Its not the best.
This is of our 2005 Funfly.
2005 fun fly over 3500 people showed up for the 2 day event.
I don't know how many showed up for 2006 fun fly.
Everyyear its gets bigger.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90036.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	445.1 KB
ID:	638577  
Old 03-09-2007, 12:38 PM
MinnFlyer

Nice!
Old 03-09-2007, 04:11 PM
Minnreefer

I just joined TCRC club in Jordon not that long ago, tried to fly my 60 trainer yesterday, but my ski's kept digging into the very soft snow. I am working on building floats for that plane this weekend, so either the snow will all melt in the next few days or I will use my floats as ski's.

Jon
Old 03-09-2007, 07:56 PM
Laggard

ORIGINAL: MikeL

How far do you want to drive? There are several clubs just passed the first/second tier suburbs, but not a lot closer in than that.
Yeah, I don't want to drive very far. My transportation is not too reliable. The closest club to me is probably in Brooklyn Park. I'm willing to chip in gas money though if anyone wants to haul my arse to a field for some fun flying.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Insanemoondoggie

I hooked up with e-flight22 yesterday at his field. There was a bout 10 of us there,not all were flying because of the snow.
Dave and I looked over my 2 planes and decided there was no way to take of because of all the snow.
So I pulled Mator, my GP Cub .20 out of the truck. I could tell by the looks on Dave face, he was thinking, Man, what has this guy put this plane thru. I tried to teach myself a few months ago on Mator and needless to say, she looks a little beat up, just like me lol.
After much messing around and a lot of great help, we got it fired up. As Dave was going over her preflight, he discovered that at a certain rpm the ailerons would move on their own. I was pretty sure it was time to pack it up, but we enlisted the aid of an other Dave and instructor, who trouble shot the problem down to the servo, No problem we have more servos .
e-flight hand launched it while the instructor took the sticks, he trimmed it out. flew it around some a loop and a roll , then gently brought her down in the snow
They asked me if I wanted to fly it and I did , but these guys had spent a lot of time helping me and didnt want to hog up their time. And after crashing this plane 6 times, to see it in the air and being told it was a good handling plane was enough for me.So I took sometime to watch the others fly.
I`ve been trying to learn on my own and I would not recommend it. When I was having trouble with starting my engine, guys came over , gave me a hand. They never treated me like a newbie, just help walk my thru things I needed help with.
By the end of the day, I had joined the club, the Pres, Ed had gone over the rules with me. I had an instructor and I had made some new friends
Oh Yeah the last flight of the day, my instructor hand launch Mator for me. My first hand launch,first roll,and loop. Asked him to land it because of the snow and crosswinds.
Thanks e-flight and the others at S.Paul RC, for all the help and making me feel welcome
Robbie
Old 03-11-2007, 06:37 PM
e-flight22

Hey Insanemoondoggie,

Glad you could make it out the field Rob. I had a great time out there Saturday as well, the weather was close to 50 and perfect bright blue skies. Sorry if i had a weird look on my face when i saw Mator, the plane flew great though, very stable and a good flyer.
I'm glad we discovered that throttle rpm and aileron servo trouble and were able to fix that, otherwise that first flight might have been a bit more chaotic [X(]

Sry i had to leave early to, getting out of the mud was nuts, my dad and i almost got stuck in our van lol. How was the flying after i left?? Were you able to get a couple of flights? From the sound of your post you had at least a few succesful flights on your own

Im anxious to see those videos/pictures you were able to take, let me know when you get them posted.[8D]

Good to hear you had a fun time out there!

-David

ORIGINAL: Insanemoondoggie

I hooked up with e-flight22 yesterday at his field. There was a bout 10 of us there,not all were flying because of the snow.
Dave and I looked over my 2 planes and decided there was no way to take of because of all the snow.
So I pulled Mator, my GP Cub .20 out of the truck. I could tell by the looks on Dave face, he was thinking, Man, what has this guy put this plane thru. I tried to teach myself a few months ago on Mator and needless to say, she looks a little beat up, just like me lol.
After much messing around and a lot of great help, we got it fired up. As Dave was going over her preflight, he discovered that at a certain rpm the ailerons would move on their own. I was pretty sure it was time to pack it up, but we enlisted the aid of an other Dave and instructor, who trouble shot the problem down to the servo, No problem we have more servos .
e-flight hand launched it while the instructor took the sticks, he trimmed it out. flew it around some a loop and a roll , then gently brought her down in the snow
They asked me if I wanted to fly it and I did , but these guys had spent a lot of time helping me and didnt want to hog up their time. And after crashing this plane 6 times, to see it in the air and being told it was a good handling plane was enough for me.So I took sometime to watch the others fly.
I`ve been trying to learn on my own and I would not recommend it. When I was having trouble with starting my engine, guys came over , gave me a hand. They never treated me like a newbie, just help walk my thru things I needed help with.
By the end of the day, I had joined the club, the Pres, Ed had gone over the rules with me. I had an instructor and I had made some new friends
Oh Yeah the last flight of the day, my instructor hand launch Mator for me. My first hand launch,first roll,and loop. Asked him to land it because of the snow and crosswinds.
Thanks e-flight and the others at S.Paul RC, for all the help and making me feel welcome
Robbie
Old 03-12-2007, 06:21 AM
MinnFlyer

I was able to get out for my first flight of the year this weekend too! WOO HOOOO!!!!!
Old 03-12-2007, 10:00 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Sorry Dave ,Have aproblem or 2 down loading, lets try this,[link=http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video.php?viewkey=d14a1f7c745853f4d50a]Dave and Heli[/link] Opps ! Soory fell down at the end . lol
Old 03-12-2007, 10:05 PM
Insanemoondoggie

More input Mike,what were you flying? What did you drag out the hanger?

I was able to get out for my first flight of the year this weekend too! WOO HOOOO!!!!!
Old 03-13-2007, 12:57 AM
e-flight22

Thanks for posting the cool video, thats awesome! I remember when i was scared to be just a foot off the ground lol.

How was the flying MinnFlyer? What did you take out to fly?
Old 03-13-2007, 07:14 AM
MinnFlyer

I was sent the new Hangar-9 Raptor PTS for an RCU Review. It was ready to be flown, the weather cooperated, and I had a buddy available to fly it while I shot video, so I took advantage of the situation!

The Raptor flies great BTW. The review is getting turned in today, so it should be on line soon
Old 03-14-2007, 08:58 AM
jagnweiner

I think for a get together, we should go out to Minn's field in Willmar. He travels all over the state to visit us and attend events. We should go visit him for a change. Besides, maybe I can talk Mode One into coming down from Park Rapids.

-Scott
Old 03-14-2007, 09:16 AM
I.C.O.N.

Hi guys,

I am out in Rockford about 30miles west of plymouth on hwy55. I don't belong to a club yet but fly out in the cornfields and pastures.

I have been getting in about 10-15 flights a week with my parkzone foamies.

I fly all electric now. I have a Trex, Typhoon and a Stryker C.

Hopes to meet up with some of ya sometime too.

Have Fun!
Andy
Old 03-14-2007, 06:20 PM
e-flight22

Welcome I.C.O.N.

How is the flying out there? 10-15 flights a week im so jealous !

i get like 6 flights a week if i try really hard and dont socialize haha. usually i socialize and get 4 flights but thats part of the fun to, hanging out and watching others fly, discuss r/c airplane and helis [8D]

Hope your enjoying the great flying weather

-David
Old 03-14-2007, 08:16 PM
rob_mnrc

now is there any body from up north you know north of brainerd im up here in deer river me and some of my frends have been lake flying for a couple of weeks now just my two cents worth love the cold
Old 03-14-2007, 09:34 PM
Insanemoondoggie

e-flight, you forgot to add, helping out the Newbies lol. Thanks for all your help, catching that servo glitch,probably saved my plane.
It`s offical, I just got home from the club meeting and I have my new membership card.Ya Hoo!
Welcome ICON and Rob-mnrc, if your ever close, give us a shout, we`ll go flying.
About the RCU Fun-fly. If MinnFlyer is O.K with having it at his field, we need to set a date and I`ll start putting it togther if everyone is fine with that.. Being retired, I think I can pull myself away from building long enough to help get this off the ground.lol
Stay tuned , more to come.

ORIGINAL: e-flight22

i get like 6 flights a week if i try really hard and dont socialize haha. usually i socialize and get 4 flights but thats part of the fun to, hanging out and watching others fly, discuss r/c airplane and helis [8D]

Hope your enjoying the great flying weather

-David
Old 03-15-2007, 09:45 AM
MinnFlyer

Well, let's see...

May is often rainy and the field is muddy

June is often windy

And July and August are gawd-awful hot

Take your pick

Welcome ICON, I've been through Rockford many times. My wife's daughter lives in Plymouth, and my Insurance Agent lives in Buffalo.

Rob, we have an RCU member "Mode-One" who lives in Park Rapids
Old 03-15-2007, 09:54 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

And July and August are gawd-awful hot
So what does that actually translate to in Minnesota?? 50°?? 60°

Ken

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.