Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

What's the advantage of dual aileron servos?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

What's the advantage of dual aileron servos?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 09:51 PM
YellowHawk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's the advantage of dual aileron servos?

Just wondering. If I installed dual aileron servos with the Y harness, what's the advantage to that over a single servo?
Old 04-22-2007, 09:57 PM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What's the advantage of dual aileron servos?

Use dual servos and NO Y-harness. Then you can program differential, flaperons, spoilerons, etc....

Plus, one servo is just not ehough for 2 ailerons in most planes, not even larger trainers.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:58 PM
Mr67Stang

For your Nexstar? Well you get to spend another $13.95 for a servo. and about $4 for a y harness and You may need two $3 servo extention wires. So the hobby shop will have all the advantage. Once you get a Computer radio you can learn how to mix flapperons/spoilerons (worthless on a Nexstar) by using channels 1 and 6 instead of the Y-Harness.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:01 PM
agexpert

opps, didn't know it was a small trainer.

one servo is fine on a Nexstar....dun worry bout it.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:06 PM
YellowHawk

Okay...maybe I should rephrase my question....had I bought any other plane besides the Nexstar, what would be the advantage? Only to distribute the load to two servos rather than one? I'm asking because it's in the back of my Nexstar manual...I just wanted to know what purpose it would serve.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:21 PM
Mr67Stang

I too have a Nexstar. No it's not a small trainer. It's fairly large actually at least a good midsize. But it is just a waste of money on that plane unless you have a computer radio and just want to play with aileron mixing. Even then some would say it's a waste but I say you would be learning the functions of your radio. I am assuming you still have the Futaba 4 channel that comes with the plane...??? The Nexstar also shows you how you can install flaps if you buy 2 new servos and modify the linkage for the original servo. That might be fun for a little while. But you just don't need it on that plane. If your doing it to learn the set up... Go for it. Most sport planes now use two aileron servos so you will need the extra servo eventually.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:24 PM
bruce88123

It gives redundancy if one servo fails in flight (hope that it doesn't fail fully deflected).
It provides a SOLID connection and reduces play in the system.
Less binding and larger throws often available.
Gives potential for using flaperons or even raising them in flight as spoliers(be careful with this one).
Cut ailerons in half(approx) and connect torque rods together to orig aileron servo for seperate flaps.

BTW YellowHawk has a Futaba 8UAP he is putting in the plane so he's got plenty of radio down the line.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:30 PM
YellowHawk

Thanks fellas...that's what I was wondering...if there was much of an advantage or if I would be wasting money. Plus I just like to play with things and experiment.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:32 PM
YellowHawk

I may not do all the things I ask about, but I like to learn more about it.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:22 AM
davo580

more of a positive movement
Old 04-23-2007, 06:24 AM
rwright142

ORIGINAL: bruce88123
Cut ailerons in half(approx) and connect torque rods together to orig aileron servo for seperate flaps.
This may be a bit off-topic but since flaps have been mentioned...
Is there a calculation or "rule of thumb" for the size of flaps vs ailerons? For example, if the total length of the control surface is 30", how long should the flaps be? I know it varies on different aircraft - some have longer flaps, some have longer ailerons, but how are the lengths determined? Does wing loading, max speed, chord. etc come into play?

Old 04-23-2007, 07:15 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There is probably some scientific formula for those who have nothing better to do than to crunch numbers, but a general rule of thumb that I go by is just about 1/3 of the total length of the control surface for Strip ailerons
Old 04-23-2007, 07:41 AM
CGRetired

All of my planes, except my basic trainer that I use for students, have dual aileron servo's. On two of them, they are programmed by the computer radio, and on the others, well, I just Y connect them to my aileron channel and let it go at that. It's adequate for just about anything I am going to do, that's for sure.

But, no matter what you do, you have two sets of linkage from each of the servo's to each of the ailerons. This gives you a mechanical adjustment to 'dial in' each aileron for good performance. Added to that, if you have large (barn door type) ailerons, you will now have the mechanical advantage of the total torque available for each of the ailerons rather than distributing that from one servo to both sides.

I am building a Seagull Super Star, which is on the larger side of the sport planes (not large scale by any means, but big enough). I am using high-torque ball bearing servo's on the wings for dual aileron setup. The ailerons are quite large compared to other planes that I have, so there will be a lot of demand on torque with this setup.

My Venus II also has dual aileron servo's which I spent quite a bit of time gettting them setup, centered, and getting the throw right. It pays off with a very smooth operation when doing pattern-type maneuvers.

Hope this helps. It's just to add to what's been mentioned above. Just one more thing.. I would not spend the money on cheap, standard torque servo's to 'waste' on dual aileron servo setup. I would go for a higher end servo for that. The ones that come with the Spektrum DX7 are great for the application and cost about $34.00 each, which I consider worth the expense.

DS.