Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Polarized Sunglasses

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Polarized Sunglasses

Old 04-24-2007, 12:02 PM
Bosch232
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polarized Sunglasses

Does anyone wear them for flying?
Do they help?

What exactly do polarized lenses do to the light spectrum?

FWIW, I don't wear glasses or contacts, at age 39 (knock on wood)
Old 04-24-2007, 12:13 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Polarized Sunglasses

When I was 39 I didn't need glasses either. But at 45 my extra 300 turned into a biplane in the air. Getting old sucks!

Polarized sunglasses CAN be great, but only in certain conditions. I'm no expert on this, but I have some general knowledge on the subject, and in general, I personally prefer to avoid polarized lenses.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:30 PM
dieFluggeister

I prefer polarized lenses as I feel they reduce glare for me.

The lenses work on a principal like venetian blinds, allowing light straight ahead of you and from the sides to enter but blocking overhead and reflected light from below.

Some guys report a reduction of depth perception, and they dont work well with LCD displays (like on transmitters), but it's really up to the user to decide.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:34 PM
manks7477

Go with the best pair of polarized glasses you can find. You will end up wearing them all the time.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:44 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

From Wikipedia

Light polarization is an added feature that can be applied to sunglass lenses. Polarization filters remove horizontal rays of light, which can cause glare. Popular among fishermen and hunters, polarized sunglasses allow wearers to see into water when normally glare or reflected light would be seen. Polarized sunglasses may present some difficulties for pilots since reflections from water and other structures often used to gauge altitude may be removed, or instrument readings on liquid crystal displays may be blocked.
I gave up on polarized lenses awhile back because I felt that they made it harder for me to see my plane, and as stated you can't read an LCD display with polarized lenses on. I recently had the opportunity to do a review on the [link=http://www.zurichsunglasses.com]Zurich International Sunglasses[/link]. I met Bruce Holden (owner of Zurich) while interviewing him at the Toledo show and we got to talking about his glasses. His demo at the show was to put on his glasses and look straight into the lights of the convention center. While doing that I was able to read the writing on the bottom of the industrial bulbs used, but when I pulled the glasses off I was blinded by the light (yes, I know that's a lyric from a song ). Since returning from Toledo I've only had the chance to fly once with the new sunglasses, but with them on I tested them to see how good they were. With them on I was able to intentionally fly my plane directly in front of the sun, and I could see my plane the entire time that the plane was in the sun. Since I wear prescription glasses I am somewhat limited in my sunglasses choices. The Original Zurich sunglasses fit over prescription glasses with no problems. These also give you protection from the sun on the sides too. One other benefit of the side protect is keeping the wind out of your eyes. I have glaucoma and wind blowing from the sides on my eyes can cause my eyes to start watering up to the point that I can hardly see the plane, the side protection of these glasses keep the wind from causing this. As I said, I've only flown with them once so far, but I can safely say that they are well worth the investment in a pair.

Ken
Old 04-24-2007, 12:50 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree. The Zurich glasses are expensive, but they are well worth the money.

Also worth noting is that the Zurich design has been copied many times, but the cheap knock-offs are just that, cheap knock-offs and they do not block sunlight nearly as good. (A few years ago, I saw the same demonstration Ken did and I was VERY impressed)
Old 04-24-2007, 01:20 PM
hurk1

Have not had the chance to use Zurich glasses. Started using polarized a few years ago and never looked back. They drastically reduse glare and have saved one of my planes while wearing them. They are also great when you are fishing or just out on the lake in a boat. They take all the glare off the water and when fishing streams you can actually see the fish through the water. Remember, almost all of the eye problems you get when you get older was a result of the damage that was done when you were young and dumb. PROTECT YOURSELF![8D]
Old 04-24-2007, 01:38 PM
Montague

I actually have several pair of glasses (and one pair with replaceable lenses as well), so I match my glasses to the current lighting conditions.

In bright light, espiecally if the sun is in my face, I use dark grey polarized glasses. The polarization gets rid of glare or relfected light and the dark grey blocks enough that I can fly through the sun and not loose it.

If the sun is to the side, but it's still a bright day, I'll go for a brown polarized lens that isn't quite as dark as the grey.

In a bright overcast where the cloud cover is solid, but not thick, and the sun is in front of me, I have a set of rose lenses that are also polarized. I find these really help my depth perception and sharpen up edges of planes, while not causing dark planes to siloette out on me.

In dark overcast, near dusk, or on foggy days, I have a set of non-polarized orange lenses that almost feel like they amplify light. They really cause things to "jump out" of a flat background, and really enhance depth perception. I love these, and use them the most often if the sky isn't too bright.

I also have a set of yellow lenses that I've tried, but I don't like, they make dark blue planes turn in to black shiloettes and aren't as effective as the orange.

And I have a set of clear lenses for eye protection if nothing else is working.

(I think I actually have a couple other lenses as well that I don't use much, I just forget what they are).

It's worth while to get a good set of glasses with removeable lenses, then play around with the available lenses and see what works for you.

(I fly RC Combat, so depth perception is everything, so I've played around with lenses and what gave me the best ability to chase other planes.... YMMV, but the above works for me).
Old 04-24-2007, 02:02 PM
weeber24

I just recently got a nice pair of Native polarized glasses (with multiple lenses like montague describes) and I think its a huge improvement over my old non-polarized sunglasses. Granted, my old sunglasses were of the cheap variety, but it seems like have the lens polarization has improved my ability determine my plane's orientation when I take it up high into the sun. I also notice that my eye strain is reduced after going with polarization.

For me, it's definitely been worth it.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:13 PM
Montague

I didn't mention it, but my set with replaceable lenses are Native Nano^2 (Nano squared). My other glasses are LL Bean aviator style. I got the ones at LL Bean before I found the Natives. If I'd found them first, I'd probably just have that one set and a few more lens sets).
Old 04-24-2007, 03:02 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Get a pair of Zurich's and you won't regret it. They even have "hip" ones now, for those of you that don't wear prescription glasses. For me, I have to wear the "cataract glasses" style!
Old 04-24-2007, 03:54 PM
TideFlyer

I have two pair of Zurichs and never fly without them. With the dark grays I can fly right through the sun. I try not to do that, but it`s always nice to know that if I should I won`t be blinded. On overcast or reduced light my rose colored lenses really give sharp contrast. Expensive, but more than worth it IMHO.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:29 PM
danny31292

I dont know if you sun glasses are polarized but when i try to fly 3d in the sun i can't see. What ever i wear helps on sunny days but is annoying when its not really bright. I do want to try those zurich sunglasses. If i only get one pair should i get the rose or grey.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:48 PM
Sneasle

Has anyone tried the glasses that Tom at f3x sells?

http://www.f3x.com/

You can find them under "accessories" (in red text) toward the bottom of the menu on the left.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:42 PM
Student Pilot
My Feedback: (2)

I have always worn polarized sunglasses. I don't have much trouble reading my transmitter screen, just have to tilt it a little bit. No biggie for me.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:15 PM
agexpert

Polarized lenses just make light travel in a more or less laminar or linear fashion. Quality optics WILL make you fly better on days when glare makes it harder to see.

I wear Oakley polarized and Maui Jim Polarized. The Maui Jim's are by far better for flying....dunno why.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:17 PM
B.L.E.

Polarized sunglasses work because glare off of water, pavement, or somebody's bald head is naturally polarized in a horizontal plane. Lenses polarized in a verticle plane block this horizontally polarized glare. If you are not sure if a pair of sunglasses is polarized, look for some glare off of a counter top or somebody's bald head and look at it through the lenses. Rotate the lenses 90 degrees and the glare should become visible.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:59 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

These are not polarised but are the best I have found esp. for seeing the model against difficult skies.

http://www.axisoptical.co.uk/rangerinfo.htm

I fly 200mph + jets and RC combat I NEED to see the models.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:42 AM
rcdivot

I get my sun glasses at the Dollar General for $3. They work great!
Old 04-25-2007, 07:49 AM
Montague

watch out for the cheap glasses though. You want to make sure that anything you wear stops 100% UV-A and UV-B. A lot of "cosmetic" sunglasses don't. All that looking up in to the sky can lead to cateratcs later on. Also, I really prefer glasses that are rated for impact resistance. More than once I've had something bounce off my glasses.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:13 AM
jmurphy18

I have been wearing polorized lens for years. I also bicycle a lot and I need to protect my eyes for road debris. I use the Oakleys with different lens for different conditions. I like the datk grey and the titanium. Gold is good for contrast, but it look like rain all the time wearng these lens. Well work the effort to wear polorized. You learn to move to read LCD screens on gas pumps, bike computers, watches, transmitters. Like mentioned, just tilt slighty different to chang the light path.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:01 AM
Master Chief

When it comes to my eyes I don't skimp on price. I've always wore Oakleys since before my RC aircraft days. Now I wear Oakley and Nike sunglasses. Believe me the premium you pay for nice higher end sunglasses are will worth it. Most are multifuctinal, they reduce glare, helps contrast for driving, can be used for fishing to see into the water, and yes they are invaluable for RC flying.

Example of High End sunglasses

Oakley
Nike
Bolle'
Ray-Ban

There are other high end sunglasse's, but those have a track record for nice outdoor activities usage.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:42 AM
Sneasle

Sounds Like some good suggestions. I think it's time I do some shopping.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:09 PM
flyingJ

To check and see if the glasses you are buying are truly polarized, take two pair. Hold one set horizontal then hold second set in front of it verticle, now they should block all light waves!! The most important thing reaal is the UV protection. Starring into the sky even on an overcast day damages your eyes. These are the same days we don't bother with our sunblock and come home with some good color on our arms and neck.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:40 PM
mcdanman2003
My Feedback: (3)

I agree with RC Ken. Zurich is the way to go. I have 2 pair and they stand behind their product. I bought them at the Toledo show 2 years ago. You won't be sorry.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.