Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Is there anyone who flies a rascal 40 with an inverted engine?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Is there anyone who flies a rascal 40 with an inverted engine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 02:27 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there anyone who flies a rascal 40 with an inverted engine?

Is there anyone who flies or flew a sig-rascal 40 with an inverted engine? I have some engine questions thats why...!

Pls let me know! thanks

747/Kris
Old 06-21-2007, 02:44 PM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Is there anyone who flies a rascal 40 with an inverted engine?

ORIGINAL: 747

Is there anyone who flies or flew a sig-rascal 40 with an inverted engine? I have some engine questions thats why...!

Pls let me know! thanks

747/Kris
As it comes out of the box, that's the only way the engine will mount: inverted. If you want another angle for the engine, you have to cut off the nose of the plane at the firewall, use a different engine mount, and you can mount it any way you want. Then you have to make your own cowl, or modify what's left of the nose. If you do that, the right thrust that's built in to the stock mount is gone, as the firewall is straight.

I've had two Rascal 40's both with .56 Saito engine, both inverted. One of the best planes I ever had. What's your questions?
Old 06-21-2007, 05:08 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I just finished doing a reveiw for RCU of the Rascal 40. What kind of engine issues are you having??

Ken
Old 06-22-2007, 08:57 AM

I have had this for 1 .5 yrs and had issues with the inv engine: Hydraulic locks, engine stopping when I do a loop etc...Great plane but with the inv engines I never enjoyed it. Now to make things worse one of the allen screws fell off from the engine mount. So I loosened the 3 so that I can rescrew with loctite(medium)...as I was unscrewing one of the 2metal plates (engine mounts?) split in 2 where it meets the screw from the engine.

This is my 1st fuel plane and Ive been flying RC electric and can fly/ land well...but JUST CANT get the engine stuff [:@]
Someone helped me build the plane and the engine part took a long time even for the expert!!!

Had I known engines were so-o messy I wouldnt have done this...but since Ihave you guys:

1. Did u exp issues with inverted engine? is yours inverted? Do I have to flip the engine?
2. What kind of engine plates do I use in future (which is strong?)
3. How to prevent Hydraulic locks?
4. Do u use loctite?
5. basically pls share all engine tips for rascal...!

My rascal is 40 size with a O.S.46fx engine...has a plastic 11x7 masterscrew prop....I use a starter.

TIA guys!!!!
Old 06-22-2007, 01:18 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Sounds to me that all you need is help in tuning that engine and use lock tite
Old 06-22-2007, 03:52 PM
Cyclic_ Hardover

On a guess, you say the only way to install the engine is inverted. I would not be surprised if the tank location is way above the carb line. If so, thats your problem
Old 06-22-2007, 04:07 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Cyclic,
As I said, I did the review of this plane for RCU. The tank is positioned correctly for running an inverted engine. I had a few problems with the engine on mine until I got it broken in, but then again I did all of the break-in with the engine in the inverted position. If you have a new engine on this Rascal I would recommend that you remove the engine from the plane to break it in using a test stand. Run a few tanks of fuel through the engine before you put it back on the plane. Once I had the engine broken in well it hasn't given me any problems at all, and runs like a champ now.

Ken
Old 06-22-2007, 10:31 PM

RCKen,
My new engine when I first built the plane was broken in inverted only. It was well broken in thast what the experts said-those who helped me. Will this be a problem now since it has already flown quite a lot?

Also can anyone position the stock tank in the rascal higher than it shd be? Or is the positioning so that you can only place it in one position? I basically watched as they built it thats all!!
Old 06-22-2007, 10:51 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

I won't hurt if your engine was broken in with it inverted. I just suggested to not break it in that way because it's easier to break-in if it's sitting upright. Being inverted seemed to cause it to die more often. But if you didn't break it in that that way it won't hurt anything.

As far as the tank is concerned, if you use the tank that comes with the plane then you can't raise it any higher.

Ken
Old 06-22-2007, 11:27 PM

RCken, where is your rascal review...cant find it!
Old 06-23-2007, 12:07 PM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

747--- As said, the included tank can't be relocated because the neck of it fits in a hole in the firewall. You can, however, change to a tank with the little extension at the bottom, such as DuBro, Great Planes, and others make. As for raising the tank, I would think that lowering the tank would be the thing to do in your circumstance, as Cyclic alluded to, for these reasons:
1) you mention hydraulic lock, which means the engine cylinder is filling with fuel. This is caused sometimes because the tank is too high relative to the carburetor and you get a siphon effect. This can be minimized with the engine off by closing the throttle, but since you're having deadsticks, 2) the tank is too high, causing flooding in flight. Of course, there are lots of other things that will cause the engine to quit; clunk line too stiff or too short, or stuck in the front of the tank, and coming out of the fuel during maneuvers, mis-adjusted carb, just to mention a few. You're running a 2-stroke, so the carb position with the engine inverted is going to be a little lower than a 4-stroke with the engine inverted.

It took me a while to get my Saito set up to run reliably, I was getting deadsticks, usually after the tank was about half empty, and I never did get it perfect. The good thing about the Rascal was that it would glide forever. If you keep the 2-stroke, I'd recommend an idle-bar plug, if you're not already using one. Or go to a 4-stroke like the OS .52 or Saito .56, The fuel economy will be better, I could fly over 30 minutes on the stock tank with the .56 Saito.

As to the problem you had with the metal engine mount bracket breaking: plain and simple----metal fatigue. These are made of aluminum, and they fail at the thin space where the hole for the screw is drilled (or punched, since it is oblong). After my third one broke at the same spot, I made a couple from the same thickness steel and never had another problem. The difference in weight is negligible.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:43 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: 747

RCken, where is your rascal review...cant find it!
The review hasn't been posted yet. I'm just finishing up getting it written.

Ken
Old 06-30-2007, 11:40 PM

Ken,

I hope your rascal review has a lot of engine related stuff!

And whats meant by idle-bar plug?
Do I make my own steel engine mount or will it be avlbl elsewhere online maybe? would rather buy online...if not how do you get the stuff and make it? where do u get steel mounts?

Did any of you cut the cowl/nose areas (bottom) to make access easy ? I did thats why....!

Tks...747
Old 06-30-2007, 11:42 PM

Oh also ...do you guys always use loctite? I just got the blue loctite from HD....will use this time as I repair...

Is it ok to retain old (2yr old) fuel tubings if they look good? or do u guys change them often?
Old 07-01-2007, 03:23 PM
Wild Foamy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuel tube is probably cheaper than string over in the USA, the old fuel tube may have some old castor oil or all sorts of other debris in it, and for a few cents you can replace the fuel lines

also, the 11x7 seems a bit big for a .46, im running a .40 and i use a 10x6 Zinger, have you tried a smaller prop? say, 10x7?

just a thought...
Old 07-10-2007, 03:53 PM

Hi All:

Whats an "idle-bar plug"? I fly a rascal 40 with an os46fx (inverted) engine .
Old 07-11-2007, 09:15 AM
Jim C.

[link]http://jimsrc.com/engine-tips.html[/link]
Old 07-11-2007, 10:58 AM
Darkbird
My Feedback: (7)

Sounds like a tuning problem. Find someone at your field thats good with engines, he'll be the one who spends awhile tuning and hardly ever has a deadstick. Have that person help you tune the engine until its right, and have them explain as they go. Had an OS .48 four stroke inverted and could get 3-4 minutes of idle before it loaded up on the ground.