Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Getting back in after 30 years

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Getting back in after 30 years

Old 07-11-2007, 06:03 PM
DuceNova

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting back in after 30 years

YEARS ago (like 1969) I flew contlol like aircraft when I was in the Navy (aviation electrician). After I got out in 1972, I sporadically flew the control line aircraft (some home made, some store bought).

A few years ago I bought a Carl Goldbery Eaglet 50 that was unassembled in the box at a yard sale. I put it away and just found it.

I have many questions that I hope can be answered here.

Can this airplane be built to fly with an electric motor instead of the .25 engine that it was originally intended for? Exactly what motor size, kind, etc to power this aircraft?

What glue(s)/epoxy(s) should I use to assemble it?

Exactly what do I need in the way of a receiver, batteries, motor contoller, servos for this aircraft to be electrified?

I plan on assembling it on a small table that I have used in the past to assemble my control line aircraft. Said table holds a 2' X4" ceiling tile very nicely and has served me well. Is this still the best work area to assemble and aircraft on?

I don't have a big budget but I want to get the best bang for the buck in a radio transmitter, receiver, and servos. I see a lot of older 6 and 7 channel Futuba and JR transmitters minus the rest of the "kit" on Ebay for about 1/3 the cost of what they cost new. Generally speaking, are the other parts still available for them or is it a bad investment to buy them. Again I don't have much of a budget BUT I don't want to waste my money either. Here is one example of the many listed there: http://cgi.ebay.com/Futaba-Conquest-...QQcmdZViewItem

I don't know what else to ask. Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:37 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Getting back in after 30 years

You can contact GOldberg and see if they have any recommendations on electric conversions.
[email protected]

As for the radio, it is VERY old tech and used. I'd be very leary of anything on EBAY unless you are experienced and you are not.
A bare bones 4 channel is not too expensive
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=SM&I=LXEFJ4**
and a basic 6 channel isn't too bad either
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXHYK7**&P=SM
A less expensive but reliable set
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXHGR3**&P=SM
Old 07-24-2007, 01:21 AM
DuceNova

I bought the Futaba 6A off Ebay for $91. Got it today and it's like new and everything is there. It looks unused except for the transmitter which shows some use but works flawlessly.

I've got the wing halves done (need to glue them together but ran out of glue), elevator and rudder done (excpet for the control surfaces aren't connected yet), the fusalage frame is done up to installing all the hardware in it (motor, batteries, servos, wing, tail feathers, etc.)

I read the Futaba manual that came with the radio and learned a lot. Two things perked my interest. Both have to do with control surface coupling. Rudder & elevator coupling and alieron & flap. The original plans don't address these issues at all. I honestly think that I'll install two servos for the ailerons so that they act as flaps on takeoff and landing. It just seems to make sense to do this as the contol gains far outweigh the added weight of one servo.

I went to GJ's Hobbies on Washingon Avenue, Endicott, NY and picked their brain about the electric motor and associated controls. They ran a couple of formulas and came up with a 350 watt motor as a replacement for a .25 glow engine. After hashing it over we all decided that an E Flite brushless EFLM4015A motor with a EFLA312B controller was the best choice. I'm going back there today to show them my progress on the whole aircraft so they can critique my progress and I can pick their brains about mounting the motor, motor battery(s), and anything else that comes up.

I also plan on visting Lantz Hobby Shop in Big Flats on Wednesday and taking the aircraft with me to pick their brains too.

Anyway, progress has been made but like any project, the big "easy" parts are done, now it's the time consuming little things that seem to take FOREVER to get done. I'm pleased with the progress that I've made but I'm getting an "itchy trigger finger" to get it done and can't wait to see if fly. But like daddy used to say, "any job worth doing is worth doing right".
Old 07-24-2007, 06:22 AM
bruce88123

You'll want to join the wing halves with 30 min epoxy. You can add the extra wing servo but you really don't need flapperons or the extra fiddling when learning to fly. Do as little "coupling" or "mixing" as possible for now also. The idea is for YOU to learn to fly, not the computer.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:42 PM
DuceNova

Here's a link to my photobucket account where I uploaded a few pictures to show what progress I've made since July of 2007: http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n...20Eaglet%2050/

I'm down to start covering it. So far I've covered the bottom of one side of the wing with white Monokote. I plan on putting a 4" wide red stripe around the starbord wing end and a 4" wide yellow stripe on the port wing end. I think I'll make the rudder a black and white checkerboard pattern and the tail elevators red on the right and yellow on the left. The fuselage will most likely be white with a 1/2" wide red stripe down the side and a 1/2" wide stripe down the left side. I think with this color scheme it should be easy to pick out which side is left and right , top and bottom, and what is front and back.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:39 AM
Villa

Hi DuceNova
We always recommend getting an instructor to help you learn to fly. I have seen many people drop out of this wonderful hobby because of the many crashes they experienced in trying to learn alone. The pucker factor is so great that the mind may go blank and you may forget what you have read or heared. Hope you make it. I learned with little help and had about 50 crashes requiring re-gluing.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:56 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

DuceNova:

The big thing about glow to electric conversion is keeping it light AND making sure of your Center of Gravity. I converted a glow to Electric and it required quite a bit of nose weight to make it fly. Just keep this in mind when placing the battery pack and make sure you secure it so it doesn't move after you set that location. And, of course, you have to do this after it is completely built.

The two factors.. keeping it light AND the CG may be a contradition here.. because one is a direct cause of the other. But, careful build and making sure you don't overdo things such as more epoxy than necessary and making sure the thing does not have to much weight in the rear of the fuselage may get you by. Just be cautious and aware of the fact that an ounce in the tail may require four ounces on the nose to compensate. And all weight added is dead weight.

The battery/motor/esc combination may require re-thinking in terms of wattage requirements for the total weight once you are finished. There is a general rule regarding watts vs. weight that you can use and get a pretty good idea of the correct combination once you are ready for that stage. Remember that the battery may be fine (weight wise vs. size requirements) and an increase in power may not relate to weight, and possibly an increase in the ESC capacity may not equate to an increase in weight either.. and that is all in the nose.

It's real easy to under power these conversions and that is much more detremental than over powering it. Under powering it will put a real strain on the motor/esc combination (current capabilities) and result in burning them out. And you can easily imagine that over powering it will only add weight but will not burn the thing up as underpowering it will. There have been several stories of woe here on RCU with people using a 20 amp ESC when the weight requirements clearly required a 30 amp. Then going full throttle trying to fly the thing will quickly over current the ESC and burn it up.. maybe even the motor.

Just be careful and diligent in your choice of power for a conversion and you will do fine.

CGr.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:24 PM
superflea

Not much help here i guess. your questions have already been answered. But I would say that the eaglet was my first and third airplane. I think you will be very very happy with it. my first one I crashed and reapired so many times that it finally just wouldn't fly any more. the other one I would literally burn a gallon of fuel a week through on an OS .25. God bless unemployment and cheap fuel

any who the eaglet should lend it self to electric very well. the nitro engine mounts on hard wood rails epoxied to the sides, just eliminate them and build a motor mount box like they use on larger gas powered planes, leave it open on the bottom to access the nose gear steering arm and your in business. have fun with it.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:23 PM
DuceNova

Here are some pictures of the progress I've made in the last few weeks. The color scheme planned is Metalic Red (Monokote TOPQ0405) on the top of the right wing, the right elevator, and the right side of the vertical tail/rudder. Cub Yellow (Monokote TOPQ0220)on the top of the left side of the wing, the left elevator, and the left side of the tail/rudder. The fuselage will be Jet White (Monokote TOPQ0204) with a Cub Yellow stripe down the left side and a metalic red stripe down the right side. The bottom of the wing is Jet White except for a 3" wide Metalic Red stripe on bottom of the right wing and a 3" Cub Yellor stripe on the bottom of the left wing.

My intention is that the contrast between the Cub Yellow, the Metalic Red and the Jet White is to be able to distinguish what attitude the aircraft is by visual identification (red=right wing, yellor=left wing, white is bottom).

Old 03-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Missileman

Looking good.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:28 PM
DuceNova

Thanks. My wife picked out the colors after I told her what the reasoning behind the color layout.

I absolutely amazes me how much time can be spent (and sometimes waste) putting an airplane together. So many details that HAVE to fit, work, etc. but (hopefully) the end result not only works well but looks good too.