Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

I GIVE UP !!

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

I GIVE UP !!

Old 09-13-2007, 11:41 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I GIVE UP !!

Martin
You and I are on about the same learning curve. I`ve been flying and building for 10 months. Have run into many problems , that can make you want to pull your hair out.
10 months ago when I started building , I had just had major back surgery , was told I would not be able to handle stairs,walking or standing for more than a couple of minutes at a time. And Doc said I should get a scooter .
Started building a GP Piper Cub .20. It was extremely frustrating , being able to only cut a couple of pieces before having to lie down for an hour or 2. It took 8 days just to finish the stab and rudder. So doped up on pain meds , that I glued myself together more than not. But I pushed myself to get the build done. I did`nt realize it at the time, but pushing myself as hard as I did to get the plane done , was the best thing for me . I still have my limits , but I`m nowhere near needing a scooter and spend hours, up on hours flying. I did not GIVE UP !
Some people are not meant for certain things , if something as small as having trouble programming a radio , sends you off on a temper tantrum , this hobby may not be for you.
Don`t give your stuff away , recoup what you can by selling it .Take the money and find another Hobby that is less frustrating and you enjoy. But if your determine to fly, get back to the basics , and don`t let your frustration get in the way. You`ll be able to handle things better without it.
Good luck , I hope things work out for you.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:44 AM
M. Michael Meyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't give up yet. It is a great hobby.

First question, are you a member of a club. If not, find a club and join it. The members will provide a wealth of information.

Second, do you regularly post questions on RCU? If not, do so. Be forewarned though. When you ask a question you will get ten replies and fifteen opinions. Most of those opinions, however, are great and all they really prove is there is more than one way to get from New York City to Los Angelos.

Third, what made you think you could go from dog paddling to swimming the English Channel? Stick with simple stuff at first and only go to something more complicated when you are absolutely certain you have acquired the skills to manage the task. Personal example: about one year ago my son and his girlfriend bought me a Hangar 9 TU-34 mentor - complete assembly - ARF, engine, servos, receiver. I read through the instruction manual and realized I was not ready to assemble the plane. I put it up. I am now ready to assemble it, but I am going to do it slowly because I am not ready to fly it.

Finally, one last personal story that I have shared with my fellow club members but never on this forum. Three years ago, my son was 21. He was very stubborn and very rebellious. (a lot like his old man) On his 21st birthday, he and I got into a very intense confrontation. He told me "You've lied to me." I told him, "No, I never lied to you." He responded, "Yes you did. When I was ten years old you told me you would buy me a RC airplane and you never did." He was right. That Christmas he unwrapped a Park Zone Slo-V. We soon graduated to a Sig Kadet LT-40 and now we are flying a Sig 4*40. More importantly, we have spent the past 2-1/2 years hugging each other and telling each other "I love you." Any hobby that can do that is worth my time, my effort, and yes, my frustration.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:04 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

Slow down killer! I started in this hobby just this season. I too went through a period of extreme frustration. It felt like "Its always something!". Well I now have reached the point where everything is great! I know how my transmitter works...How my planes work, how to tune my engines better. One day everything just starts to click. Give it a little time and you will see...the knowledge you continue to gain will putyou in a place where everything is just fine. You have to have patience.

My hat is off to you for going from glow right to gas in the first season. But its like learning certain areas all over again. Keep that in mind and just breathe.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:30 PM
Electrolight

Personally I think you wanted just to fly and you didn't care to build. Just buy an RTF!!! and stop whining how much money you spent. You obviously didn't do any research over the equpment you bought. Just sell your stuff and with that money buy an RTF its the fastest way to fly.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:47 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: hogflyer

......I'm sure even RCKen, MinnFlyer, Bruce and others have hit this point at one time or another......
Absolutely, this happens all the time. In fact, I've been in this hobby for 11 years now and I still come up against things that are difficult to figure out. And I get frustrated all the time when it happens like that. What do I do when this happens?? The most important thing to do is walk away from the problem for awhile. If you continue to look at it all you are going to do is stew in your own juices and get more frustrated. Just walk away and calm down. An hour, a day, a week, how long to stay away depends on the person. But DO NOT look at the problems until you have cooled down. Sometimes you can figure out what the problem was after you cool down. If not, then you need to find help. Call a flying buddy or here on RCU are my best sources for figuring stuff out. But the help goes a long way. Trust me.

I would hate to see you give up because you are frustrated. Just take a little break and go fly your trainer for awhile.

Ken
Old 09-13-2007, 12:56 PM
Dr1Driver

I went through a really low point in my R/C experience about three months ago. The Fokker Dr.1 you see in my avatar is no more. I totalled it unexpectedly due to two elevator hinges failing while in the air. It was my only IMAA-legal large scale plane, and I valued it highly. There was a lot of detailing and work in it. I had NOT planned to crash it at this time. Well, I put the wreckage aside, the TX in the case, and left flying for a week or two. I came back, stripped the plane of usable components, and ordered a GT Dr.1. That took money that was earmarked for another future project, but you do what you gotta do. It'll be a couple of months before I can start on the new Dr.1, so I fly my little sport planes until then.

Moral: When you hit a low point, get a ladder and climb out! Back up, stop and take stock, and continue forward. Initiate Plan B. "We improvise, we adapt, we overcome." Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge.

Dr.1
Old 09-13-2007, 01:34 PM
bruce88123

Heck Martin, my club recently lost it's field as I told you previously in a PM. That field has been there for 30 years. So I'm definitely depressed right now and still haven't decided what to do next. As you know there other clubs in my area, including yours, but they just aren't mine. Time will tell what I choose to do but I'm still here trying to help others and I have also offered to help you one-on-one if need be. Your decision though, can't make it for you.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:52 PM
Adui

Well there is a lot of good advice here.

Let me give you another n00b's perspective, with a story.

I bought my airplane, a Hangar 9 Arrow .46 RTF, about 5 years ago give or take a few months. I bought it because i knew I would not be able to afford a second plane anytime soon, and wanted something I could do aerobatics with. (Like I can do that now huh). First mistake.

I worked with a guy who flies, and his father began the long and unsuccessful task of my tutoring. I met with them weekly for the last half of that summer, we set my plane up, he trimmed it out, and we flew.. I am somewhat clumsy so I am taking longer than some to learn, but i was nearly ready to begin shooting landing approaches when the rains hit. The plane got put away for the winter.

Spring came, and out came the aircraft. My instructor liked flying in the mornings, I worked night shift.. Makes it hard to getup, so I found I was missing flying times a lot. Add to that, my airplanes Evolutions motor Had a bad bearing. it rattled and coughed and all sorts of noises, but not much power. It would seem over the wet winter it rusted out, a combination IMHO of poor maintenance and a second rate motor to begin with. So, I scraped up the cash and got a steal on an OS .46FX that had barely been broken in.

However, by this time I was extremely frustrated with my lack of ability. It didn't help that my instructor had a busy year and had to cancel several flying dates. I began making excuses NOT to go out. By the end of that summer i had had it. I knew I wanted to someday learn, so i kept my plane, but never till now did anything with it.

Ergo three years later, I have been through two jobs, thanks to the recession, and I am making half what I used to or less. I cannot afford to slap down the paltry $58 for AMA in one shot, much less buy a whole new outfit. But my interest in this great hobby is at an all time high. Thankfully I did not get rid of my gear, or there wouldn't be a prayer of me getting back into it.

So I am slowly working on all the little things that my plane developed over the summers it flew. A loose aileron, and it needs a new TX battery. (I should replace both just for age, but the RX cycles good and I just cannot afford to). I am scraping for what I need to get my AMA, and get my bird up. I have contacted the local club, great bunch but strangely not willing to give away there hard earned cash for a handout.. Go figure he he. (No I did not ask, just being facetious. I do not expect them to pay for my hobby.)
What they are willing to do is help me learn to fly. Once I have AMA they will begin teaching me on a club bird, till mine is flight ready. They are already helping me with ideas and advice, on how best to get my bird flight ready.

What i am trying to point out here, with my long winded story is that you never know where you will be a year from now, two three.. five.. What if you get rid of all that expensive stuff you have, and some time down the road you decide that you just HAVE to get back into it, but you aren't in the financial shape to do it then, and you got rid of all that top quality gear..

Never EVER get rid of stuff over frustration. Keep your gear, find a club when you are ready, and do it RIGHT next time. Most importantly, don't do what you did this time, and what i did my first go. Do NOT get impatient, it does not mater a hoot that you want it all RIGHT NOW, you will not get it all till you've put the time in to learn it.

This hobby takes patience above all else. However, if you can muster the patience to do it, the rewards are unfathomable.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:56 PM
Adui

Dad Blame it all! [:@] I wrote another book..[sm=red_smile.gif]

Sorry folks
Old 09-13-2007, 02:04 PM
Insanemoondoggie

ORIGINAL: Adui

Dad Blame it all! [:@] I wrote another book..[sm=red_smile.gif]

Sorry folks
LOL. I liked it , hope it has a happy ending.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:05 PM
Adui

Wont know till I get my AMA back and get in the air he he. BUT at least I know NOT to get in a hurry now..
Old 09-13-2007, 04:56 PM
MBUTLER1967

Thankyou guys for all your replys I really appreciate it and it does help a great deal. You are all right I have bought equipment thats way over my head and have jumped way way ahead of my skill level. ELECTROLIGHT your absolutely right im whinning like a little child. What started all this is I came home from work this morning tried to put the pushrod and connector on the carburator of my Evolution 35GT and got frustrated. Im not giving up im going to take your advice and take a break. I have spoke with a RC Club member who is going to help me with all of this, progamming,centering and what have you. As for flying this plane that wont be for awhile yet even if it were ready to fly today. When I bought all of this I didnt realise I was making such a huge jump. I figured I can fly my Alpha Trainer and now im ready, well hahaha now I know thats not how RC works. Im going to keep all of my stuff im not going to throw my radio up in the air im going to bring everything to my great friends at the club. I also want to add that I consider you all great friends as well but its going to take a bit more than reading the great advice and opinions you do give me. So I have called one of the RC club members who I consider is an expert in all this to show me personally and to help me personally. I have learnt a great RC lesson you can not go from Trainer to Sundowner in the space of a month but I had no clue. When I bought my Sundowner I based my decsion mainly on its looks and appearance. Anyways you guys have helped me a great deal. I truly love and enjoy this hobby but also I get frustrated when I cant do things myself or understand things. I didnt realise how much there actually is to this hobby ALOT. Thankyou again and I apreciate you all for saving my radio from utter distruction . . .
Old 09-13-2007, 05:30 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good for you. The best advice to remember when building or setting up is KISS.(keep it simple stupid).I see alot of post where beginners are trying to re-invent the wheel and then run into trouble.Good luck and have fun.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:50 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Martin,

I also think that you need to find a Hobby Shop that cares about something more than the bottom line. If they know you, they should have councelled you about this purchase. If you bought it from an on-line Hobby dealer, then you have no one else to blame. That is the beauty of having a Local Hobby Store to do business with. They will normally try to steer you toward something that is more in line with your capabilities.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Bulldog Brotherhood #95
Old 09-13-2007, 05:53 PM
bruce88123

Good to hear Martin.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:00 PM
Missileman

With the local help you are getting you will be flying that Sundowner before you know it. A couple of cheap ARFs before then probably.
The SIM will definitely help you progress faster if you use it properly.
As far as the radio goes, learn one function at a time as you need to use them. Servo reversing will be first followed soon after by dual rates. I am on my second year of flying and just recently started programming end point adjustments.
Be patient and it will happen.
Best of luck
Old 09-13-2007, 06:05 PM
chashint

ORIGINAL: foosball_movie

We should be helping him, not trying to get a good deal off his misfortune
take a step back, hang the Sundowner up and don't think about it for at least a week.
"Someday, I'm going to be flying the wings off it. Just wait 'n see."
take your time, you have your whole life for crying out loud. Relax.
Don't listen to these guys. It's a terrible hobby that takes way too much time, patience, money and skill to be reasonably enjoyed. You're doing the right thing to cut your losses and try something different. Plus, willingly passing along your plane, engine, servos and transmitter at an unbelievably low price to a poor-soul that otherwise may not have had the opportunity to enjoy such a fine aircraft is not only honorable and generous, it could very well be considered worthy of canonization. You could be the Mother Teresa of Aeromodelling for crying out loud. Have your name etched into the fabric of RC history or have the joy of being at the controls when your Sundowner takes to the sky for the first time on a cool Mississippi Saturday morning. It's a no brainer.
I think I agree with foosball_movie, but I must point out that Mother Teresa of Aeromodelling would spread the the bounty between two poor souls (not three or four just two) and since I am a big supporter of the right to quit I guess I will just have to be the second poor soul.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:47 PM
NCIS

MBUTTLER1967,

Crashed 2 planes in two weeks, get builders burnout, think I hate this hobby, and yet I sit back and just think if it wasn't for this hobby my business would probably drive me to the funny farm. I am a worry wart about money and when things get slow with my business I go fly and when I'm out there flying I forget I even have a business. It's the same with when I'm building. You are worrying about to much and should do as most of these fine fellow hobby brothers have said and just take a few steps backwards and fly your trainer until you can't stand it anymore any you couldn't find anything else you can do with it in the air. Then and only then is it time to move on. My Father rest his sole told me to never quit and I respected him more than anything else in this world besides my Mother. They are both dead now but I would never quit anything that I started because of frustration. That is part of life and any hobby. You need to get a grip and get your poop in a group and settle down. I for one don't think you really want to give up as much as your seeking our help. So be it, it's here if you need it. If you don't want it then quit and then you will always be a quitter. I wouldn't like to think of myself as a quitter thats for sure. It's all up to YOU!!!
Old 09-13-2007, 07:59 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: MBUTLER1967

Well guys I think I have about had it with this hobby. Im new to the hobby I have been practicing with the ALPHA TRAINER then went out and spent a few thousand dollars on all sorts of supplies,Real Flight G3.5 flight simulator, new 9C SUPER FUTABA radio, new plane with a $500 gas engine, $400 on servos and I have had it. From servo centering, reverse this reverse that, mix this mix that, trim this sub trim that IM CONFUSED. Everytime I turn around I have to buy something, I bought a $40 tru spinner for my plane come to find out it doesnt fit and needs some crap done to it so it does fit. So im going to hang my SUNDOWNER up by some fishing line from my ceiling then im going to take my 9C FUTABA radio outside and throw it up as far as I can into the air to see how many pieces it will break into when it hits the concrete. Tried reading the dang manual to the radio and it might as just well be written in Spanish or Russian cause I have no clue what the hell its talking about. I want to thankyou all for your help. Giving up !! Had enough !! Signing off . . .

Martin

Wel if you went from a Trainer to a Sundowner. Have a nice life!
Old 09-13-2007, 09:21 PM
Safebet
My Feedback: (12)

I enjoy this sport for more than just flying and building. It is easy to get frustrated in the beginning because there is so much available in our sport and it all looks so nice. But, there is a lot to learn, not just the flying, but the setting up, assembling, trimming, testing and so on. The list is long.

This sport is not for the faint-hearted. Personally, I think this sport requires a person who is not afraid of a challenge, and it will challenge you, one who doesn't quit during the bad times, and can back off and say remember this is a sport and it's supposed to be fun. Don't make such a big issue of it. Have fun.

I have totaled 4 planes thus far. Two in one week, my last one yesterday. I have no one but myself to blame. I have 3 left, wonder how long they will last? lol I have
spent many hours on all of the planes but the first, an Alpha 60 trainer which I bought as an ARF, so I know disappointment and frustration to see all that hard work in a bag.

But, back to what I wanted to say to start with. It's the people that make this a fun sport. I have never had such great fellowship, anywhere as with my fellow club members. They are so helpful and unselfish. Among the members, it doesn't make any difference if you are flying a used $50.00 trainer or a $8000.00 40%. They treat each other the same. They are always a never ending surprise with questions like: "you gonna need a bag, today? Gee, musta used a lotta poxy with that one, it didn't splinter so bad? I
coulda told ya, ya was goona do that. I could see it coming. Ah, new meat today, want me to help ya. I'll maiden it for ya, at least you'll get to see it fly, and so on."

Alll in the spirit of good friendship. They will loan or give you anything. Always ready to help. I love the commradship.

So, hang in there. Stop and visit a while, listen to the old timer stories. In just a short time you'll be giving lessons in setting up and trimming to another "frustrated" newby.

Good Luck
Old 09-13-2007, 09:34 PM
ouflyer

Well said Safebet!
Old 09-13-2007, 11:45 PM
Adui

THAT, thankfuly has been my experience this go around with the hobby! Not always so the first round, but like I say it takes all kinds.

I liken the model aircraft hobbies to Camping. There is always someone out there to give our kind a black eye, however the hobbie usually brings out the best in everyone, and most are willing to help out in some way or another even if its just a gruff bit of advice on how not to make that mistake again.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:04 AM
foosball_movie

Im not giving up im going to take your advice and take a break.
[sm=what_smile.gif]

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Good choice. And good luck! I'd love to see some video once you get her in the air.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:27 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: MBUTLER1967

When I bought all of this I didnt realise I was making such a huge jump. I figured I can fly my Alpha Trainer and now im ready, well hahaha now I know thats not how RC works.
Looks like a hard learning lesson here. There is a process of learning as with any area of life. You skipped over the traditional 2nd and third planes and along with thes comes the path of knowledge. I flew hueys cobras and the whole thing for 20 years. That does not mean i can fly a rc helicopter without wrecking it. I get on the simulator and start out with a cheap POS and go from their. I don't need anybody to explain the concept of a helicopter, I just need practice. If you try this again, I suggest you pay your dues. if not, not only will you get frustrated again but you'll be stuffing one plane after another.

I see guys a few times a year at the field "oh I fly fullscale". Well okay hotshot. So when he nails that thing out in the north forty, I'm not moving from my chair and just enjoy watching him walk around for a half hour looking for the stupid thing and drag it all back looking and feeling like the idiot he is.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:47 AM
MBUTLER1967

WOW Hueys and Cobras ? Now thats something. Its funny I hear people say that pilots of the large full-scale planes say its harder to fly an RC plane compared to a full-scale plane. I honestly thought it would be vice versa.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.