Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Trouble removing prop from .40 Super Tigre

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Trouble removing prop from .40 Super Tigre

Old 09-15-2007, 08:10 PM
M. Michael Meyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble removing prop from .40 Super Tigre

I need to remove the prop from my .40 Super Tigre. I have to admit when I put the prop on I really cranked the crap out of the nut. Now, when I try to remove the nut it simply spins the spacer behind the proper washer. Any ideas?
Old 09-15-2007, 08:18 PM
nothinbetr2do

Default RE: Trouble removing prop from .40 Super Tigre

you should of reamed your prop to the correct sizegetting it off is now the problem. you could use a piston locking tool, then maybe you could spin off the prop with some effort
Old 09-15-2007, 08:20 PM
rlipsett

I might be wrong about this but I might try to jam a piece of a wooden prop or similar soft piece through the exhaust opening to keep the piston from moving while trying to loosen the nut on the crank.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:23 PM
vmsguy

I have no idea if this will work.....

Do you have one of those strap type pipe holders/wrenches? This the thing where there's a rubber strap that wraps around a chrome pipe, like a shower head. Anyway, they're designed to grow tighter as you twist them. (If twisted in the correct direction) But the rubber strap doesn't damage the pipe.

You could try using one of these to hold the prop shaft behind the prop. Then loosen the nut as you normally would.

Sometimes, when I've had to remove a stubborn nut. I've put the wrench in place, then hit the wrench with a hammer in the direction I wanted the wrench to go. This way, the hammer instantly accelerates the wrench, and hopefully twist the nut before the bolt has a chance to slip. Almost like catching it by surprise, if that make sense....

Good luck,

Lyndon
Old 09-15-2007, 08:34 PM
nothinbetr2do

is it the nut or the prop, not sure what your saying, but if everything is spinning go get yourself a piston locking tool. then you'll be able to wrench the nut off, or spin off the prop. so either way your good. i never tried the wood under the piston idea, it should work but i don't know what kind of stress you'll put on it. i use the tool all the time, without any problems. and they're pretty cheap(money wise)
Old 09-15-2007, 08:42 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the glow plug out and let some string down into the cylinder and then you will be able to get the nut off. When done remove string.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:14 PM
horace315
My Feedback: (15)

i think a i would try the piece of wood through the exhaust port first.those rods are pretty tough.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:19 PM
nothinbetr2do

ORIGINAL: Insanemoondoggie

Take the glow plug out and let some string down into the cylinder and then you will be able to get the nut off. When done remove string.
do you just stuff it in there or something? that might be less stress on the rod. with the tool it's metal against metal
Old 09-15-2007, 10:38 PM
Insanemoondoggie

I just let it wad up in the the cylinder , it doesnt take much .I use cord that's about an 1/8 in. thick. Remember , your weakest link , doing it this way , is the rod connecting pin. Don`t want to bend it.
If that doesnt work you`ll have to grab it by the prop drive washer. It`s aluminum and will mark easy. Wrap a rag around it and use visegrips. You will have marks.
Or a 3/8 inpmact would probaly spin it right off. If you have a freind that has one.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:41 PM
Bad_Daddy

Props are a lot cheaper than a connecting rod or a new motor. Cut the stupid thing off, carefully, with a hacksaw or a Dremel and be done with it. Then remember to properly ream (and balance) the next prop before installing it.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:53 PM
TimC

I second using an air or electric impact. The sudden shock will buzz it right off. Just make sure you are going the right way with the impact.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:02 PM
TheBrickLayer

I have super tigre .40's also and have the same problem. I use a soft tip plyers or grip and hold the shaft in place to take them off.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:40 PM
Wild Foamy

make up a pair of soft jaws from a bit of cardboard or something and use a pair of molegrips to hold the little flywheel thingy (cant remember what tis called) then undo the nut whilst holding the molegrips on the flywheel, the nut should come off then spin the prop off with your finger (if its a sharp prop then wrap some masknig tape around your finger and do it

i was doing the very same thing with a 52 Surpass today :P
Old 09-16-2007, 04:14 PM
bruce88123

Uh, Foamy. Unless you simply like wearing tape why don't you wrap the prop blade next time instead of your hand???

Also the prop hole size in NOT a factor in this case. It's large enough because the crank is turning easily within it. Impact wrench would probably do the job if you have one.